Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Give £1 to Charity for Every Mile You Cycle (Samsung Hope Relay 2012)
  • GrahamS

This seems a bit more virtuous than Strava or Endomondo:

Download the app (iOS, Android or Samsung Apps), record your rides and for every mile you do Samsung will give £1 to charity!

http://www.samsung.com/uk/london2012/samsung-hope-relay/

joao3v16
    Free Member

Can it differentiate between cycling/running/walking and driving around in a car?

GrahamS

Can it differentiate between cycling/running/walking and driving around in a car?

I think running at 60mph would give them game away a bit. 😆

richmtb

I had a quick read of the T&Cs. Samsung’s maximum donation is £667,000

Still not bad, worth sticking on your phone until the games in August

IHN

I think running at 60mph would give them game away a bit.

From reading the App reviews it appears that anything over 25mph will get a ride disqualified.

GrahamS

So no worries for anyone here 😀

joao3v16
    Free Member

From reading the App reviews it appears that anything over 25mph will get a ride disqualified

I won’t bother then. I live on a hill. Every ride features speeds >25mph.

GrahamS

You could always start the app after you reach the bottom of the hill?

joao3v16
    Free Member

I’d only have to stop it again 5 minutes later at the next hill. They really haven’t thought this through at all. It would be fine if we all lived in Holland, but it’s flipping hilly round where I live.

😉

Think I’ll just donate £667,000 directly to charity instead

GrahamS

Yeah, considering they are presumably doing it for the advertising, it isn’t exactly a great demonstration of their app writing ability!

GrahamS

Think I’ll just donate £667,000 directly to charity instead

Make sure you Gift Aid it then:D

GrahamS

By the way, I can confirm that:

A) it works okay and didn’t give me any spurious “over 25mph” messages. (£33 raised so far)

B) you can run it in the foreground with Endomondo running in the background without a problem (on iPhone anyway, I assume it will work the same on droid)

C) it does cute little cheers and messages from “famous” British olympic folk (and Jamie Oliver?) as you pass 1, 5 and 10 miles. Quite funny to have Endomondo shouting at me while Hope Relay cheers me on 😀

brassneck

I was just about to install it then you roll out Jamie Oliver 🙂

TiRed

No Blackberry App, so I’m excluded. Quite like the S3 too. They started this for Bike Week, didn’t they?

GrahamS

They started this for Bike Week, didn’t they?

Not sure. The app seems focussed around running.
    I suspect they cottoned on to Bike Week later on and decided to allow us to use the app too.

drain

D’you know if it disqualifies rides with an average (for the whole ride) of over 25mph, or will any blip over 25mph (easy round here in Zummerzet on a descent) disqualify the whole ride?

GrahamS

From the app reviews I think it is just average over 25mph that gets disqualified. Though it doesn’t seem very good at averages!

e.g. one bloke says “I’ve just comeback to find the app saying that my ride won’t count as it averaged over 25mph, which it didn’t as my Garmin GPS saying my moving average speed was 20.5mph and my overall average was below that.”

Cougar

it isn’t exactly a great demonstration of their app writing ability!

If Samsung produced it, this isn’t news.

D’you know if it disqualifies rides with an average (for the whole ride) of over 25mph, or will any blip over 25mph (easy round here in Zummerzet on a descent) disqualify the whole ride?

From memory after reading the Market comments yesterday (which on the evloutionary ladder is about two rungs above YouTube comments), it seems it will disqualify your entire run if you average >25mph over an arbitrary period of time within that run.

GrahamS

it seems it will disqualify your entire run if you average >25mph over an arbitrary period of time within that run.

Genius! 🙄

Given they have a full GPS trace you’d think they might look at some other factors: “Yeah that’s right Samsung – I’ve illegally driven my car down a muddy bridleway for 10 miles, scratching the paintwork and knackering the suspension, just so I could con you out of ten quid for charity…”

drain

LOL @GrahamS – but who knows, someone just might…! Thanks for the info – may have to get it and give it a go on the offroad rides.

GrahamS

Update: I’ve raised £77 so far and no rides rejected for going too fast.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Give £1 to Charity for Every Mile You Cycle (Samsung Hope Relay 2012)’ is closed to new replies.