Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Gisburn Forest needs 5 mins of your time
  • mr-potatohead
    Free Member

Done that Jon , when are you getting out for a ride

mart

amasaback
    Free Member

I’ve replied to the survey, but tend to agree with Funkydunc. In my opinion the trails are already too busy at weekends and I feel that further development will only add to the problem. As a local rider who has been riding around the forest since the mid nineties I’ve seen the forest change significantly over the years with the introduction of the original red route towards the late nineties etc. Although I enjoy the new trails and appreciate the hard work that has gone into them (I volunteered myself on the home baked section) I think there is a real danger Gisburn Forest will be over developed and spoilt. In terms of riding, I’ve changed the times I ride to either very early morning or night time, just because the trails are too busy. Busy trails are fine if everyone is riding at a similar speed, but this isn’t the case. I seem to be coming across more and more large groups of riders riding very slowly who just scowl or give me a blank look when I politely ask if I can come past (obviously I get out of the way when someone wants to come past me). Also, litter is becoming a problem with a lot of plastic drinks bottle strewn about especially on the lower part of the red route, although admittedly it looks like someone has had a clean up over the last few weeks. So, although I’m not against trail development as such I do think plans to increase visitor numbers could have quite a detrimental impact on Gisburn Forest.

Cougar

Jon > thanks for the quick reply. Sounds like it’s going to be awesome.

I’d offer to help, but my doctor says I have an underdeveloped public service gland and am naturally deficient in moral fibre and am therefore excused from volunteering for things.

More seriously – is there any way we can donate to help with costs or anything?

stumpyjon

amasaback

I can see where you’re coming from but the developements are as much to try and cope with the current numbers as much as trying to increase numbers. As trail builders we also see the downside of many people riding the trails, it’s amazing how many people will avoid trail features and in doing so destroy a lot of the work we’ve put in. I think more recently we’ve come to terms with it and just see it as another environmental factor to be contended with and try and build accordingly.

The other thing to bear in mind is that the more formalised the facilities are at Gisburn the more of a long term future the site has as a trail centre. It may not always feel like it but significant maintenance work has been done already on the trails because the local team are pretty passionate about what’s been built. These developments help to justfy having them there. Without ongoing maintenance parts of the trail network will collapse very quickly.

Gisburn has been a victim of it’s own success, whilst it does get busy at the weekend when the weather’s good (try it during the week and it’s a tad quieter) the flip side is it’s good to see so many new riders out riding the trails which in turn will help justify additional investment and more trails (and there’s plenty of space left for additional mileage).

stumpyjon

Hi Mart

Been busy, trails don’t build themselves…..actually have been riding a bit recently, even managed to get my TCL award, not entirely sure how! Will try and get out soon, haven’t been up to Cragg for a month or so now.

Cougar

one thing you could do is join PMBA. Pennine Moutain Bike Action (sorry aboutt he name we’re riders not PR men 😳 ). It’s an umbrella group trying to tie together a lot of what’s going on in the Lancashire Pennines and beyond. It’s quite a diverse group but has some fairly important people local people involved like Tony Lund from Lee & Cragg Quarry, Craig Robertson from Ride On in Rawtenstall, guys from Brownbacks, Blackburn & District Moutain Bikers, Healey Nab diggers plus represnetation from Gisburn. We’ve also got some very enthusiastic people who work closely with Rossendale Council (including one of the councillors). We want to become the recognised voice of riders in the area but we need to genuinely represent you. One of the ways we want to do that is to build up a membership so we can actually show we’ve got people supporting what we do.

An example of where we may be able to make a difference in the future is through consultation exercises. There was a big one recently which seemed to avoid consulting with many of the key players, next time that happens we want to be in there pushing the grass roots perspective from the start in a similar way to SingletrAction over the border (who we also have very close links with).

more info at http://www.pmba.org.uk , we’re still working on a paypal link and more automated membership system but you can email us through the site. We should be at the Singletarck Weekender as well so we’ll take cash off people then :lol:.

Come over and have a chat if you’re around.

amasaback
    Free Member

Stumpyjon, you’ve put a different slant on things regarding the visitor numbers point I made. Also, I see your point about establishing GF to better secure future funding for trail maintenance etc.

clarkpm4242
    Free Member

Check!

Needs more mileage of trail to cope with the numbers??

Its all good!! 🙂

Cougar

we’re still working on a paypal link and more automated membership system

I’d respectfully suggest that you prioritise getting this sorted out. It’s all well and good going “please join us!!” on your web page, but without the means to do so it’s all rather redundant.

singletrackhor
    Free Member

survey completed, good luck

whytenosugar
    Free Member

Done, up there this weekend. It’s a great place to have on your doorstep…hully gully is great fun 😀

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

“…hully gully is great fun”

Apart from when you get half way down to find some idiot on a bike trying to pursuade his dog not to sit down in the middle of the track!

MADB
    Free Member

Done,

for the most part it`s getting beter all the time.

stumpyjon

Go one then, I’ve resisted so far, which bits aren’t getting better 😆

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Gisburn Forest needs 5 mins of your time’ is closed to new replies.