Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • GF's first MTB, a grand to spend, ideas…
  • IHN

Looking for a decent spec hardtail for general riding around, could go over a grand a bit but prefer not to.

I’ve been away from ‘the scene’ for a while so a bit out of touch with what’s around. On-One’s always in with a shout, any others I/she should be looking at?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

specialized myka seems to be often recommeded. MRs TJ has one and its a very nice bike

xiphon
    Free Member

Would she fit a mens bike, or would you need to get a WSD?

mrs xiphon is 5’2″, and fits a 16″ Patriot (with short stem + in-line post).

mattmbk
    Free Member

Have a look at Cube, you get a lot of bike for the money. Currently on offer in Leisure Lakes.

trailmonkey

i was looking at the voodoo’s in halfords this morning. certainly get a lot for a grand. there was a ht with avid elixirs and revs or a fs with sectors and a rs shock that looked really quite nice both at a grand.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Small specialized camber in the sales (if it fits?)

Budget for new wheels (and possibly shock) though.

yossarian
    Free Member

Something shite in the colour she likes and some new forks for you?

No?

nammynake
    Free Member

Save a couple of hundred quid and go for this:

http://www.canyon.com/_en/mountainbikes/bike.html?b=2536

binners

Sod hardtails! When you can get a Specialized Myka. She’ll thank you for it

I bought the better half one earlier this year. (well… a Saffire, but its the same frame) She loves it! A big factor in that is the comfort of a full suss when you’re out for a while.

I’ve taken it out for the odd blast and its a great bike

IHN

Yoss – her money I’m afraid, so tricky to pull off.

She’s 5’6″, maybe 5’7″, so would get on a small men’s frame.

timc
    Free Member

My Missus got a giant Talon @ approx £500, got to say its great value bike…

£1k a lot for a first bike 🙂

mboy
    Free Member

She’s 5’6″, maybe 5’7″, so would get on a small men’s frame.

Height is less important than her leg/torso length ratio tbh. If she’s the height she is, but comparatively short legs and long torso, she’d be fine on a blokes bike, but if she’s got long legs and short torso, she’ll probably need one designed for women.

mboy
    Free Member

Just found this…

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b4s24p2715&tbv=GIANT_ARETE_Mountain_Bikes_Womens

£899 down from £1300 at Pauls Cycles, and probably in her size too (imagine she’d need the medium). The spec for the money looks amazing, with Reba’s and an SLX/XT drivetrain. Only the Deore hubs really let it down, but you get them on £2k bikes these days, so it’s no biggie. The only thing you’d want to change on it would be the tyres for something more UK friendly. And Giant’s Heavily Hydroformed frames really are very impressive, they’re a lot more comfy than a traditional straight walled tubed frame, as well as weighing naff all and being very strong.

Oh, and it only weighs 25lb too… Certainly gonna be a lot lighter than anything else for the money!

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Unless she’s some sort of triathlete and/or some gnarr core rider, I’d do her a favour and buy as lightweight as you possibly can.
    That mboy suggestion looks good.

Duane…
    Free Member

First MTB? So assuming she’s a beginner to MTBing? Do her a favour and get her a hardtail (maybe not spend as much, save it aside for a future fullsuss frame)

t_i_m
    Free Member

while she’s tall enough for a mens small frame, she’ll very prob be a lot happier on a WSD.
    Unless she’s going to really give it a battering, a FS would be better for a first bike. I assume that you’re looking for her to like riding rather than teach her better technique from the off.

falkirk-mark

Buy a bike you fancy then take her out on a scary trail in the worst weather possible and you have got yourself a new bike. 😉

Bunnyhop

Chris Boardman bikes seem to get a good write up.

I am slightly short bodied and longer legged for my height of 5’4″, both my bikes are mens and I don’t have any trouble riding them.

She needs to get out and try a few.

gearfreak
    Free Member

If you go for a ‘mens’ bike, air forks would be a good option as coil forks will probably be over sprung for her weight(assuming your Mrs isn’t a heffer 😉 )

Most important is fit, go and car park test as many as possible, what feels comfy? A comfy bike will inspire confidence.

At that price avoid full suss, especially four bar (multi link) as the bill for rebuilding the bearings after a couple of years will make you wish you bought a hardtail.

allthegear
    Free Member

Find a few options but, please, let her pick – it’s her bike!! (isn’t it????)

Rachel

RustyNissanPrairie

something as cheap as possible-it’ll never get used more than once

stevepitch
    Free Member

Having just gone through this with the mrs she ended up with a boardman fs team in small which she loves. She did originally have a Boardman Fi (which was sh!te) but we somehow managed to get it returned and swapped for the FS team 😉

xiphon
    Free Member

@ falkirk-mark

I tried that tactic…. took her down the path from Easdale Tarn (in the Lakes). Proper rocky gnaaaarly trail. And she loved it. So that plan failed.

Build your own! And ask her what she would like – I was told pink and green would be funky….. the result… (probably cost around £500/£550 in total, inc. paint job)

richc
    Free Member

Get her to sit on some, as regardless of if its a bargain or not, she isn’t going to thank you if it doesn’t fit.

Also budget for some padded shorts, and knee armour.

cinnamon_girl

I think you’re right to go for a hardtail and, fwiw, at 5’5″ all my bikes are mens.

Keep your eyes peeled on the Classifieds – if you can get hold of a small Soul, that would be ideal. She’s welcome to try mine for size (am now in Wiltshire).

Put some money aside for a session with jedi too. 🙂

Riksbar

Got a new 17″ Orange Pure 7 available, £999 new or £700 to you and have a weekend away and a course?

jedi

thanks for the recommend cg 🙂

richc
    Free Member

something as cheap as possible-it’ll never get used more than once

Nice generalisation.

MrsToast
    Free Member

Both of my bikes are bloke’s bikes (a Stumpjumper FSR and an Inbred), and I’m nearly 5ft 3. I don’t get on with most women’s bikes – legs of a hobbit, torso of a ferret, arms of an orangutan. -_-

Incidentally, my first bike was a Trek 4500 WSD, a 14″ frame that was miiiiles too small for me, but I insisted because I wanted to get my feet flat on the ground. 😛 Got me into biking though, and when I got a frame that was a better fit it was fantastic.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘GF's first MTB, a grand to spend, ideas…’ is closed to new replies.