Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)
  • George Michael- any medical experts (Pneumonia/complications)
  • hora
    Free Member

I’ve just read that GM said it was ‘touch and go’ at one point but then went onto to say he had a emergency tracheotomy. That to me says it was very severegserious Pneumonia?

Any experts on why/at what point they’d need to do this procedure? What effect would it have on his vocal/singing?

paulosoxo
    Free Member

I’ve had a Trachy, and I can’t sing. He’s finished.

Any experts on why/at what point they’d need to do this procedure? What effect would it have on his vocal/singing?

I had mine done after being ventillated for 7 days. I believe this to be common practice in ICCU

ton

😆

dawson

I wonder if there was a chance it could have been his “last Christmas….”

IGMC

matt_outandabout

paulsaxo – you are George?

paulosoxo
    Free Member

That’s just a careless whisper.

fasthaggis

I’ve had a Trachy ,and have the voice of an angel 😆

GasmanJim
    Free Member

The word is tracheostomy.

The indication here would have been to facilitate long term ventilation and subsequent weaning (and to reduce the incidence of sub-glottic stenosis). These things are easier / better tolerated with a tracheostomy rather than an endotracheal tube (which he would have had initially).

There may well be implications for his voice, but that would be even more likely had he not had a tracheostomy and just had an endotracheal tube, as that would have involved a tube sitting between his vocal cords for the entire time he was ventilated. The tracheostomy enters the trachea below the cords.

I heard a bit of him bigging-up the hospital in Austria :roll:. He would have faired just as well in almost any NHS ITU and our service is free at the point of need.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

I heard a bit of him bigging-up the hospital in Austria :roll:. He would have faired just as well in almost any NHS ITU and our service is free at the point of need.

The new ICCU in Sunderland Royal is fantastic. If a little space aged.

northshoreniall

motorman
    Free Member
    nealglover
    Free Member

I heard a bit of him bigging-up the hospital in Austria 🙄 He would have faired just as well in almost any NHS ITU and our service is free at the point of need.

Should he have bigged up the NHS too then just for balance ?
    Even though he didn’t use it as he was in a different country ?

Not sure why you would have an issue with the the fact that he thanked the Hospital/Staff that saved his life.

(and that Hospital is amazing by the way, and it’s “free at the point of need” too)

totalshell

i’m told i ve been in icu for 24hrs i can remmebr asking what time it was and thats all… i went in dead and came out alive.. thank you LGI august 16 1999 11am

Cougar

Saw Him on telly last nigHt. He’s HIV positiVe, mark my words.

Also, my keyboard is broken.

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

Totalshell, ward 3 or ward 6 LGI? I may have looked after you.

Cougar- a bit tight mate, he smokes a pound of weed a week, could be why his chest is bad

I was thinking he has a bit more going on there than pneumonia.

martinhutch

The Austrian medical team were very specific that he had no additional ‘underlying health problems’. Which, unless they’re lying, deals with the HIV question.

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

3 weeks tubed and on enteral nutrition can cause a lot of weight loss

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Saw Him on telly last nigHt. He’s HIV positiVe, mark my words.

+1

GasmanJim
    Free Member

Is there any word on the causative organism? If it was PCP then I’m with Cougar.

project
    Free Member

I love the way the internet Haematologists sudenly decide GM had HIV, just by seeing him on the tv, medical technology must have really progressed in the last few years, as must the training of Haemotologists.

No disrespect to gasman jim.

martinhutch

Is there any word on the causative organism? If it was PCP then I’m with Cougar

Streptococcus – so again, not obvious as a complication of long-term HIV, especially as his doctors have said there were no underlying health problems.

An ill man looks like an ill man shocker.

If some of the posters on here came out of hospital after month-long near-death experience with pneumonia, are we allowed to suggest they have HIV too? I looked pretty awful after hospitalisation with pneumonia, and that was only a couple of days, not being tubed in ICU for weeks.

project
    Free Member

Oh and as for a reason he was treated in a foreign country, instead of using the NHS, for free, just perhaps he wanted privacy as did his family and freinds from the prying eyes of the media hacks, and internet bods, making out he possibly had HIV, because by assumption he has sex with men.

Lets leave the talented millionaire alone.

scaredypants

In a statement, professors Gottfried Locker and Christoph Zielinski said: “The latest development in Mr Michael’s case, which has evolved from a severe pneumococcal infection, necessitated intensive care due to its severity and extension. We are happy to announce that Mr Michael is improving steadily with an impressive regression of pneumonic symptoms, and follows a steady rate of improvement as hoped.

“There are no other health issues with regards to the patient other than the underlying pneumonic disorder, and no further measures had to be taken.”

how horribly run-of-the-mill

They did also say he developed ARDS – which is bloody close to a good story 😉

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

+1 Martin, having worked on ICU for 10 years I can tell you it can lay waste to fit, strong people in a matter of weeks. You suffer organ dysfunction, struggle to absorb nutrition, catabolise yourself as you fight for life.
    GM looks like a man who’s just spent 3 weeks sedated and ventilated due to a critical illness, end of.

chakaping
    Free Member

Poor show Cougar.

teasel
    Free Member

In a converstaion with a few friends last night I said something very similar to you, Cougar but gathered myself together enough to realise that if I knew a little less about his lifestyle and in particular his sexual orientation, I doubt very much I’d have opened my gob in such a presumptuous fashion.

He does like to cane the gange a bit and why not…

nealglover
    Free Member

The reason he was in Hospital in Austria, is nothing to do with Privacy, or not wanting to be treated by the NHS, or paying for posh private clinics.

He was in Hospital in Vienna, because he was in Vienna (on tour) when he was Hospitalised 🙄

Not everything rich celebrities do is “diva” type behaviour.
    Sometimes they are just ill.

And he was taken to the same hospital that I was taken to when when I was in Vienna and had appendicitis.

teasel
    Free Member

Indeed, it was mentioned in every report I heard yesterday.

“…still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest…”

zippykona

Mr teasel. I love that line. Its one of those songs you’ve heard a million times. But when you properly listen to it, wow. Pure genius.
    How about” drawing conclusions like curtains.”

grantway
    Free Member

I had what was a simple cough last month within a week I had Bronchitis
    next stage would have been Pneumonia

crikey
    Free Member

Wow.

It’s like Jim Davidsons house at Christmas. 🙄

crikey
    Free Member

…Oh, and it’s not called PCP any more…

scaredypants

what, phencyclidine ? 😉

I bet George’s had his share, whatever you call it

Northwind

A mate of mine almost needed the same after he got bronchitis- never went to the docs about it for ages as it was “just a chest infection”. He’s strong as a bloomin ox, ex-boxer, marathon runner, in his 30s. And no, doesn’t have HIV.

scaredypants

“standard” asessment applied in the UK for community acquired pneumonia;
    Risk of death at 30 days, score out of possible 5 for specified criteria:
    0—0.6%
    1—3.2%
    2—13.0%
    3—17.0%
    4—41.5%
    5—57.0%
    [/quote] – George can only score a max of 4 (unless he’s older than he looks) but even then he could have a 40% chance of dying if it was a bad ‘un

Nick

I had what GM had, and I wasn’t HIV positive.

Northwind

Nick – Member

I had what GM had

8 number ones in the US? Good going!

hora
    Free Member

I agree with martinhutch however a few weeks is a pretty serious stint for anyone to be in hospital isn’t it?

I hope he hasn’t got HIV though. Saying this he’s probably done the star sleeping with groupies thing to similar excess..

julianwilson
    Free Member

In fairness to him, he allegedly he is a big fan of healthcare staff of all nations and ‘donates’ a proprtion of tickets at every gig he does for the local hospital staff. In our hospital’s case he definitely did, even though it was sold out ages and ages before (rather than comedians who give away spare tickets at the last minute to fill up the hall on poorly-sold gigs).

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘George Michael- any medical experts (Pneumonia/complications)’ is closed to new replies.