Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Geocaching tips! (I know, we're well behind the times)
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

After seeing that kids list of 50 things to do I noticed one of the things they hadn’t done was geocaching. We’ve got outdoor clothes and an I phone! Owt else required??

Drac

Geocache app.

wrightyson
    Free Member

It’s seven whole pounds and I’m tight? Any cheaper??

Drac

The free intro one is all I have didn’t know they’re released a full version.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Is it the geocaching.com one? Thought you could only use it three times???

bwoolymbr
    Free Member

Just get MotionX GPS for 69p from the app store and grab a copy of Geocaching Intro for free then you’re good to go!

Drac

I’ve had it for about 2 years but not used it properly so no idea of the limits.

sc-xc

We use the full app. Some good features that make Geocaching easy – our mates use Garmins and the accuracy of the app on the iphone is as good – but we can look at previous logs, photos, clues, maps – it’s much better than using Motion X and Safari.

If you try the free app and like geocaching, the full app is worth the money. We only do it once a month or so, but it’s great for getting the kids motivated to go for a walk, and my lad who is 10 has taken loads of his mates over the last couple of years.

Cougar

Which phone? Dunno about iPhone but there’s a bunch of free apps on Android.

Don’t forget to take a pen to sign the log, and consider taking a trinket to leave in the cache.

Cougar

Inspired by this thread, I went for a mooch and found two today.

Clicky

wrightyson
    Free Member

I shelled out!!! And worth it it was, hand phone over to kids and follow!!! Couple of hrs of fun and even found our first one up at the motocross event we were at!

sparkyspice
    Free Member

They’re EVERYWHERE!!! When motorway journeys are just getting too much for the kids to cope with, just exit the motorway, pull over, search for nearby caches and let them go wandering for half an hour!
    I reluctantly purchased the full App and I don’t regret it at all.

wisepranker
    Free Member

I’ve just seen this thread and it’s got me curious about Geocaching.

Just checked out the website and downloaded the free app. It could make for some interesting excursions on some of my routes in future!

andytherocketeer

Kind fo did it the other way. Saw where people had hidden them here in the forest as a way of finding where it might be interesting to ride.

Just put the (free) c:geo app on my HTC, but not used it in anger yet. 7 quid for an app plus far too many $ for a sub seems a bit steep to me, unless you’re really in to it.

Cougar

Best Android apps I’ve found are c:geo and Geobeagle.

It’s worth being aware that there’s a fundamental difference in the way they work. c:geo doesn’t use the Groundspeak API, to get around restrictions imposed on non-premium members (unless you pay $$ for the privilege, you’re can only search for a couple of caches a day, or something). The upshot of that is that c:geo is a lot more functional for free users, but it can break, sometimes badly, if Groundspeak make back-end changes. Geobeagle goes through the API so doesn’t have this issue.

I use c:geo by choice, but I have Geobeagle installed as a fall-back just in case c:geo goes pop. I’d recommend doing the same.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Geocaching tips! (I know, we're well behind the times)’ is closed to new replies.