Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 327 total)
  • Genesis Longitude thoughts
  • Dickyboy

Thinking that with a spare set of tyres one of these might meet all my touring / 29er / road bike needs & looking at a frame only option, anyone know if a standard 22/32/44 chainset will fit as opposed to the 22/30/40 fitted by Genesis?

Also, any views on sizing I normally ride a 19″ 26er – so will 19″ Longitude be the one for me?

thedude
    Free Member

I like the frameset color. They really should get the website updated with 2015 bikes.

simonbowns
    Free Member

I’ve just had a check of our stock bike – I reckon plenty of room for 22/32/44, yep. I was cheking for a customer earlier, the bikes and frames are all in stock at Genesis/Sportline, so pretty quick for us to order in (they’re usually next day delivery to us)

Sizing – depends on much more than just ST!

geoffj

Another Fargo copy?

letmetalktomark

I have a Fortitude and am hoping to replace it with a Longitude.

I ran drop bars on mine for a while to try and emulate that road/touring style.

Without a seriously high rise stem the drop bar posistion really didn’t work for me.

Perhaps with a longer steerer and or a posistion change it may work but the IMO the non suspension corrected geometry has an intentially low front end.

My Fortitude in drop bar mode:

Mister-P
    Free Member

Geometries for those who are interested (sorry, STW removes all spaces so it comes out looking a little jumbled)

Frame Size 16″ 17.5″ 19″ 20.5″
    Seat tube (centre-top) 406 445 480 520
    Seat Angle 66.8° 66.8° 66.8° 66.8°
    Head Tube 125 135 145 160
    Head Angle 68° 68° 68° 68°
    Effective Top Tube (horiz) 583 611 638 663
    BB Drop 70 70 70 70
    Chain Stay (from front of d/o) 458 458 458 458
    Fork Offset 50 50 50 50
    Trail 98 98 98 98
    Wheelbase (from front of d/o) 1105 1134 1149 1188
    Stem Length 80 80 80 80
    H/Bar Width 720 720 720 720
    Crankarm Length 170mm 175mm 175mm 175mm

ampthill

I think that this bike looks clever

I don’t think its quit a Fargo as its tyres too 3 inch. Also fargo is intended from drop bars?

why the slack seat angle?

This is weird variation. Sold with drops but along top tune and tall head tube

geoffj

The colour way scheme, fork shape mount options screams Fargo to me.
    Not that is a bad thing, but a bit of imagination around the colour at least wouldn’t have gone a miss.

willjones
    Free Member

letmetalktomark – what are those tyres?

jameso

Sold with drops but along top tune and tall head tube

That makes sense. Raise the head tube and the bars/top of head tube effectively comes back as well as up. Top tube then gets longer to prevent the bike being cramped.

Longitude’s looking good. If drops aren’t quite right/hard to set up feeling right as they are on many bikes, loop bars do a great job for that sort of thing ime.

boblo
    Free Member

How would you fit an Alfine?

letmetalktomark

willjones – Member

letmetalktomark – what are those tyres?

Some old IRC Hurricane(?) Cross tyres. 42mm

Made in Japan 8)

letmetalktomark

Looking at Mister P’s figures the same sized frame i.e. 20.5″” in the Longitude is a much bigger frame than my Fortitude.

160mm HT 😯

Dickyboy

thanks for the geometry info mrP & for the info on chainrings SimonB, plan is to sell my Equilibrium which I haven’t used for over a year 😳 & get something that is more touring based & suitable for offroad – have to have a better look at the geometry then find a local shop that has stock & can place an order for a frameset for me 😀 like the look of the drop bars on your fortitude mark but prefer the control of wider flat bars myself

richpips
    Free Member

Another Fargo copy?

Having ridden both I can say that they ride very differently.

The Longitude is a much nimbler ride.

sillyoldman

Geoffj – both adventure orientated bikes, but that’s as far as the similarities go.

Longitude is build with alt bars or standard MTB bars in mind. Fargo is built for drops.

Longitude is way longer in front end, and slacker in head angle.

Longitude is built for 29+

Re cosmetics – they’re nowhere near the same colour. Longitude is grey with blue, not champagne coloured.

Struggling to see the similarity apart from the adventure slant, but Longitude is more of an MTB/adventure bike, Fargo is more of an off-road tourer.

brant
    Free Member

66.8deg seat angle?

I can imagine that being the angle between the chainstay and the seat tube, but not the seat angle to the horizontal…

sillyoldman

Aye – that’s an error. Not even the portion above the bend on the seat tube looks anywhere near that slack.

geoffj

Struggling to see the similarity apart from the adventure slant, but Longitude is more of an MTB/adventure bike, Fargo is more of an off-road tourer.

Tomatoes Tomaytoes

sillyoldman

Tomatoes Apples.

😉

Alb
    Free Member

66.8deg seat angle? I can imagine that being the angle between the chainstay and the seat tube, but not the seat angle to the horizontal…

Looooong week! 🙂 Should read 71deg (all sizes).

Re: HT lengths – very diff. beast to the Fortitude. Same 445mm non-suspension corrected fork length but a taller HT to compensate. Less head-down and racy than Fortitude.

Better photos here: http://www.unitycycleworks.co.uk/products/genesis-longitude-frameset-putty-grey-2015

Frameset ships with Alt bars, Orbit Equipe headset and Mr Control chaintugs. Chipps has the 17.5″ sample currently so expect a review in the upcoming months.

tyredandcranky
    Free Member

Hi all! Rich from Unity Cycleworks here.

I noticed you guys had linked back to the site, specifically to the Longitude.

We’re in the process of building up the frameset to sit alongside the complete bike in-store, so check the site later this week.

These framesets, including the complete bike, are available now, so if anyone has any questions about the geometry etc, you can reach me at unitycycleworks at gmail.com.

tootallpaul

I am so tempted.

😐

kazafaza
    Free Member

Should be ready to roll on Wed. Nice finish(much darker than the 11′ Fargo and with completely different geo), mine’s going to be a SS/hub geared rig with hub dynamo…more pics to follow!

Mister P: many thanks for the geometry, I wonder where you got it from as their Sales Rep couldn’t forward me one!

Cheers!

tyredandcranky
    Free Member

It looks really nice built up!

tootallpaul

Can the frame take mudguards? I can’t tell from the pics.

tyredandcranky
    Free Member

Yep, it’ll take mudguards.

55mm probably. We’re running with 2.4″ tyres, so you’d have to go smaller.

Ours is a work in progress… hence the lack of chain and chain catcher.

shuhockey
    Free Member

Yes can take mudguards, I’ll post a picture shortly, when I’m back at my computer.

jameso

It looks really nice built up!

Agreed.. really nice.

tyredandcranky
    Free Member

We’re gonna display this in store, alongside the adventure build. We hope this’ll fill the gap the Fortitude Race left behind.

We’re a Genesis Demo centre too if anyone’s interested…

shuhockey
    Free Member

Longitude

SKS mudguards from Germany Bluemels Set 29er 65mm black
    Used the cut off stay from the front to form a bridge between the pannier screw holes for the rear guard. Apart from that it was quite easy and I didnt have to cut the guard.

tootallpaul

tyredandcranky – what size demo Longitudes do you have?

🙂

Mister-P
    Free Member

kazafaza, I got it directly from Genesis HQ. I walked downstairs to their office and spoke to them 🙂

barkm
    Free Member

I bought one of these (complete build) to thrash around thetford during the winter, and for some tours I have planned next year.
    I am in now way qualified or expert enough to provide a detailed review other than to say I bloody love it. No bike previously has given me such instant and long lasting grins.

Only minor issues (and very minor), are stock bars are a tad too wide for me/thetford, and I seem to constantly scratch my calf on the drive side rear rack braze on, but taking out the bolt fixed that.

tyredandcranky
    Free Member

Tootallpaul – Not sure we’ll have a Longitude demo, but I’ll check. We’ve had a stainless steel Croix, the stainless steel Volare 20, and the Day One Di2. Right now though we’ve got a 17.5″ Caribou!

Pop in for a coffee if you’re near!

tootallpaul

Not near unfortunately…

🙁

tyredandcranky
    Free Member

Just had word from the kind folks at Sportline / Genesis, that we’ve got a 19″ Longitude demo on its way!

If anyone’s near, pop in for a coffee and a chat!

Mister-P
    Free Member

There was little point the Longitude sitting around at Genesis HQ when it could be put to good use by you at the shop. If I was closer I’d have delivered it and taken you up on that coffee.

tyredandcranky
    Free Member

Thanks again Mister P! We’ll take it out for a spin and get another video online!

Dickyboy

Rich – when & how long are you likely to have the demo for? Am I right in thinking you are in Swansea?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 327 total)

The topic ‘Genesis Longitude thoughts’ is closed to new replies.