• This topic has 42 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by Alb.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Genesis High Latitude
  • Cheezpleez

Anyone got one or tried one?

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Not me, but interested in what people say about it since it is a contender for my new bike

mattjg
    Free Member

No but I like the look of them. There’s a somewhat odd review here http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/category/bikes/mountain/product/review-genesis-bikes-high-latitude-2×10-12-46592

Every UK frame should have CrudCatcher bosses!

The ‘local’ LBS does Genesis BTW and can get demos in. They have a no-discount policy on frames/bikes tho I believe.

Cheezpleez

That review basically says ‘I prefer long-forked 26in hardtails to short-forked 29in hardtails’ Not very helpful really.

Anyway, the High Latitude has shortish chainstays and a slackish HA and looks on paper like it might be fun. The track-end version also comes in tasty ‘burnt copper’.

mattjg
    Free Member

Yeah it’s a silly review.

That’s the “Alfine” version I presume? Presumably you are thinking of frame only as an SS?

The 17.5″ has ETT 3mm longer than my Swift (less than a glove!) but is quite a bit slacker (68.8 degress vs 71.5).

I think they look good, I’d like a go!

What forks?

NB 27.2 seatpost, not very dropper-able.

Cheezpleez

Yup, would be SS’d and I’d stick a rigid fork on it. Not too bothered about dropperability.

mattjg
    Free Member

Not so pretty, or slack, but the Fortitude frameset comes with forks:
    http://www.tweekscycles.com/Product.do?method=view&n=3549&g=320876&p=320877&c=215&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Base&utm_campaign=Hardtail%20Frames&gclid=CPPJxpbR3bMCFXHLtAodNmYALw

I’m liking EBBs though, gearing my Swift was a doddle.

ahwiles
    Free Member

i’ve got one!

well, i’ve got a frame… not quite finished building it just yet…

(photo’s will be posted when it’s done though!)

NB 27.2 seatpost, not very dropper-able.

i disagree, there are plenty of go-go-gadget seatposts that will fit, and they’re mostly at the affordable end of the market.

Cheezpleez

Pics when ready please. Geared or SS?

ahwiles
    Free Member

geared.

i’ve got a 4-day weekend starting in 6 hours, it’ll be built + ridden + shown for inspection by sunday.

Building the bike will take a few hours, tidying the yard/garden before the pics will take a few days…

mattjg
    Free Member

Forget the garden, a tidy garden is a sign of someone squandering riding opportunities.

mattjg
    Free Member

Yup, would be SS’d and I’d stick a rigid fork on it. Not too bothered about dropperability.

This is not going to end well.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOCoIWATS8U&feature=related[/video]

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I’m really liking the genesis bikes of late.

NB 27.2 seatpost, not very dropper-able

Good, don’t see the point in making a nice comfy steel frame then wacking a drainpipe of a seatpost in.

Understand it for long travel bikes. but not really on a 29er like this.

Cheezpleez

Matt, that English is lovely but I’m guessing it’s *slightly* more expensive than the Genesis

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Gravity Dropper are available in27.2 flavour. And they work….

mattjg
    Free Member

Matt, that English is lovely but I’m guessing it’s *slightly* more expensive than the Genesis

Time to raid the pension fund?

toppers3933
    Free Member

Ridden one. The alfine version. Was a nice ride. Handled well climbed well descended well. Hated the alfine hub mind you.

collie
    Free Member

Does anybody know the weight of these frames?

matt_outandabout

What did you not like about the Alfine?

Cheezpleez

Yeah, I’d be interested to know weights. Some of those Genesis bikes seem a bit lardy but that may be down to the build I suppose. It’s how it rides, not what it weighs, though, innit?

toppers3933
    Free Member

Just felt really disconnected. Indirect. Horrible feeling. Got used to it after a while but still wasn’t a fan.

ahwiles
    Free Member

collie – Member

Does anybody know the weight of these frames?

my 20″ incher is a shade under 5.5lbs / 2450g

build update: going well, might even get to ride it today 🙂

(rear wheel/tyre needed the help of a ghetto-inflator – which was great fun!)

z1ppy

sssshhh will you please stop going on about these, last thing i need is them all sold before I get the chance to try/buy one!
    (awaiting deliver of a insurance replacement to my m8, to try one..)

How tall are you Ahwiles? (to go 20″)

ahwiles
    Free Member

i’m 6’2″

i don’t think i’m very tall, but i know i’ve got very long legs (36″) – i’ve always needed big frames – i tried using really long seatposts, but i couldn’t find a 500mm seatpost…

letmetalktomark

Slightly OT and mentioned above the Fortitude is a great frame.

I bought an Adventure frame as I had all the bits for a build (bar a wheel build).

As I was always going to run it rigid the non suspension corrected geometry was part of the appeal.

The £379 for the frame and fork seems good value to me especially given the (slightly) higher spec tubeset.

Pics of mine prior to a little tweaking …..

Currently using a fat front but that coupled with the Alfine makes for a 32lb bike 😆

ahwiles
    Free Member

finished!

it’s a bit muddier now…

brief review: nice and neutral, if anything it’s bit of a hooligan.

the azonic bars are an awful shape

smorgasboard tyres are really rather good – even in the wet leaf / root / rock / mud mix on my local loop. i was slipping all over the place, but predictably – no dramas.

i need a stiffer spring in my forks.

mattjg
    Free Member

Nice colour. Overall geometry looks quite similar to my Swift, which I’d also describe as ‘neutral’, tho I’d probably phrase it as ‘versatile’, because it is. They’re of the same ilk I think.

z1ppy

Go Ahwiles what the spec’d & (aprox) costs? Not doubting your bike building skills, but are you sure those bars should be in that position?

ahwiles
    Free Member

(approx prices)

frame £300

forks £160 (rockshox xc 32 – the heaviest forks ever made as it happens: 2200grams)

wheels £300? (slx hubs + mavic 719 rims + smorgasboard tyres)

and old 9-speed slx bits and bobs.

weight: 31 pounds!

are you sure those bars should be in that position?

nope, but that’s where they feel least weird…

mattjg
    Free Member

fwiw here’s a side by side of my Swift against AH’s bike. (Mine’s a medium).

Good old spares bin SLX!

matt_outandabout

oooh, Crookes baby…I loved that view.

Nice looking bike, considering one of the Alfine High Latitudes as we just swapped from Giant to Genesis as the works fleet of bikes….

Cheezpleez

Looks nice, ahwiles. But I have to say that Fortitude up there looks even nicerer

mattjg
    Free Member

@cheez http://www.langsettcycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b107s459p9261&rs=gb&vid=26753 £765.

That’s less, for a full build, than I spent on my Swift frame/forks + wheels (Hope Hoops/Crests) + tyres (the rest being cannibalised from elsewhere). (Watch that the Truvativ cranks aren’t an odd BCD that are hard to get chainrings for – I have a set, gave up, and bought XT).

Mister-P
    Free Member

I like my Fortitude. Now running XT tubeless wheels and XT clutch rear mech.

mattjg
    Free Member

Is it the pic or do those (2.2?) X Kings come up really big?

Mister-P
    Free Member

They are quite large.

Cheezpleez

@matt
    A good deal but a) I’m skint at the mo, b) I would be swapping kit over so only need wheels, frame, fork and c) I really want Stans rims for light tubelessnesss. Fortitude does look proper nice, though.

Can’t help thinking that light rims are a must on a 29er. Please convince me otherwise, cos it will save me a few bob. Ta.

IanW
    Free Member

Love that English bike.

mattjg
    Free Member

I can’t convince you otherwise – I bought Crests, which I will get years of use from whatever bike they go on. (But then I cancelled out the Crests with whopping great Hans Dampfs).

I started with Rocket Rons, which are light too, but if I had those on in current conditions I’d be basically sat stationary digging a deep trench with the rear wheel.

Speshpaul

Mister P
    You don’t happen to be over shrewsbury way do you?
    I was lusting at a fortitude last week in daves shop.
    Its was VERY similar to yours.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Genesis High Latitude’ is closed to new replies.