Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 105 total)
  • gaz545, shouty man on bike off of that youtube. A little uptight or justified?
  • wwaswas

I tend to shout at people when I’m riding around town and they do stuff like that to me. I don’t often swear quite that much, though.

No idea how many hours riding he did to get those shots though and I’ve not read the explanation in full but I seem to get somethign like that once or twice a week and I only ride about 4 miles a day.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Looks to me like his blood pressure might benefit from leaving the bike at home.

D0NK

just watched the first 60seconds (without sound), those incidents would piss me off so worth getting upset IMO

Edit IIRC gaz also does crap cyclists compilations to keep a little balance and he can be quite critical about them.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Edit IIRC gaz also does crap cyclists compilations to keep a little balance and he can be quite critical about them

Yep spotted a few films of him moaning at other cyclists, mostly for going through red lights.

radtothepowerofsik
    Free Member

Half the stuff he’s shouting about I don’t see a problem with. He needs to relax a bit

radtothepowerofsik
    Free Member

Is that ‘silly cyclists’? That’s moronic too. Is he a failed traffic cop?

ton

i reckon the bloke is a knob, going out of his way to film stuff.
    and the fool obviously cant ride in a cycle lane.

wisepranker
    Free Member

He needs to lay off the bike for a while.

It’s all well and good riding around with his “I’m better than everyone else” attitude and shouting at drivers but in a few of the incidents, he could’ve avoided the situation and saved himself some aggro.
    There’s no point in being right but dead.

eyerideit
    Free Member

uphillcursing – Member
    Looks to me like his blood pressure might benefit from leaving the bike at home.

+1

I’m liking his horn, it seems very effective. Where do I get one?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Seems like a proper knob – what’s his log-in on here?

ton

😆

joao3v16
    Free Member

People uploading their boring little films onto the internets … what a life full of purpose and meaning they must lead

jota180
    Free Member

His blood pressure must be through the roof – needs to chill a bit

It’s a tough life when you’re a collector of car reg numbers mind

D0NK

what a life full of purpose and meaning they must lead…
    It’s a tough life when you’re a collector of car reg numbers mind…

will it not be cathartic posting the vids? Help him destress? how many people come on here having a good old rant fully expecting nothing to ever happen about it but do so anyway just to get it off their chest?

Plus there has been some rather good* videos showing pretty awful behaviour by other road users, bexley punch, that guy getting hit then run over last week. Some go viral get seen by Joe public and it highlights this sort of stuff is not acceptable.

*good examples, not good in a nice way.

DrP

Laughing out loud every time he repeats a number plate just because they came a little close to him!!
    I mean, come on! Yes, some of those incidents were worthy of an f and c, but 95% of them were just ‘day to day’ traffic, and he wasn’t really in danger!
    He needs to learn how to ride in traffic too, if that keeps happening to him!

DrP

“FH62 GNU” – sorry, a car parked outside seemed a bit close to my house…

jota180
    Free Member

how many people come on here having a good old rant fully expecting nothing to ever happen about it but do so anyway just to get it off their chest?

never did understand ranters

wwaswas

People uploading their boring little films onto the internets … what a life full of purpose and meaning they must lead

I don’t think anyone posting on this thread, on this forum is really in a position to be critical?

geordiemick00
    Free Member

he needs to take the camera off, take a chill pill, ride in cycle lanes and not ride like he’s driving a car otherwise he’s going to film his own death, heart attack or murder.

Yes there was some shocking driving but as cyclists surely we all should expect drivers expect to see us driving near the kerb and using as little room as possible?

D0NK

but as cyclists surely we all should expect drivers expect to see us driving near the kerb and using as little room as possible?

no and no

edit I am as ever surprised that on a cycling forum so many people don’t know about road riding techniques/safety. (not just applicable to roadies, even MTBers occasionally need to ride some blacktop.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

some of those cycles lanes were unsafe to ride in and far too narrow – asking to get squashed into the kerb – correct road positioning is to be out from the kerb holding a lane when needed to ensure room on the road.
    The IAM advises cyclists to take the primary position IE hold a lane.

You should always be at least 60 cm from the kerb and IMO more like 1- 1.5 m at a minimum

some discussion and quotes here
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/bike-blog/2011/aug/01/cyclist-take-the-lane

Edit – this bit is good

“The guidance we give cyclists is to take the space they need.The potential hazard is that drivers behind might not understand what you are doing.

The courteous thing when you are riding in that assertive position is to look behind you and make eye contact. You still get drivers who don’t understand, but as more and more people get on their bikes you get more understanding from drivers.

Its one of the mistakes (IMO) that Gaz makes – one of the dangerous overtakes going over double white lines he is clearly aware of the car behind as he keeps looking over his shoulder – Perhaps sitting up and looking the driver in the eye might have helped. its about appearing as a vulnerable human not a member of another race called “cyclist”

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I’m going to get one of those cams, then we’ll see some proper entertainment! 😀

His only problem is that whilst he’s very shouty, he don’t follow it up when people get out of their cars. If yer gonna rant and rave, be able to back it up or keep schtum, cos you don’t know who’s gonna get out of a motor.

i reckon the bloke is a knob, going out of his way to film stuff.

See, couple of points, Ton:

1; Filming stuff enables others to see what ****s many drivers are, and brings people’s attention to the problem of cycling in congested urban areas. And it can be useful in gathering evidence against idiots who shoon’t be on the road in the first place.

2; He is under no obligation to ride in the cycle lane, and can ride wherever he feels is safe to do so. Many cycle lanes at the side of roads are littered with drain covers, potholes etc, so sometimes are better avoided. rivers are obliged to give cyclists a wide berth for safety’s sake, and there’s plenty of incidents in that video where they don’t.

You can sit there and scoff at him, but it’s people like him trying to do something to make all our journeys safer.

I disagree with several of you, but then, I have loads and loads of experience riding a bike in Central London, whereas it obvious some of youse don’t, which basically means you don’t know what you’re talking about and I do and you ought to be quiet instead of raising yer blood pressure really, don’t it? 😉

jota180
    Free Member

I disagree with several of you, but then, I have loads and loads of experience disagreeing with everyone, whereas it obvious some of youse don’t, which basically means you don’t know what you’re talking about and I do and you ought to be quiet instead of raising yer blood pressure really, don’t it?

FTFY

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Don’t you understand, its his human rights not too innit 🙂

Cougar

Maybe it’s the camera angle, but a lot of those didn’t seem all that close to me. There’s a few that could’ve been quite nasty (people turning across him, for instance), but he does seem to be going out of his way to be indignant.

Mind you, I suspect he’s had his fair share of close calls riding round London, so I can understand him being a bit miffed.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

rivers are obliged to give cyclists a wide berth for safety’s sake

I’d have thought it should be the other way round? Or at least they should be advised that bikes aren’t great underwater.

bencooper
    Free Member

He is a bit shouty. I go for opening the back passenger door…

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I’d have thought it should be the other way round? Or at least they should be advised that bikes aren’t great underwater.

Well the Thames gives me a wide berth. Which is just as well otherwise I’d flipping punch it! 😡

He is a bit shouty. I go for opening the back passenger door…

It’s true that he gets himself unnecessarily wound up. Far better to make yer point in a calm and reasonable manner, and let them get all steamed up. I end up laughing at people and mocking them in a cruel and nasty manner for getting all irate.

If you’re going to be confrontational, then you’ve got to be able to back yourself up. Kick someone’s car, they’re going to be irate. Either make sure they ain’t gonna be able to duff you up, or have an escape route ready if you’re going to resort to such tactics.

Many cabbies are complete ****s though, it must be said. I once threw my bike through the windscreen of a black taxi, cos it’s driver cut me up turning left (hit me front wheel), then got out to remonstrate with me after I’d shouted at him. 😀 Shooduv seen his face; he weren’t going to continue that argument.

Road rage is bad. I try my best to avoid situations these days, as it’s not good to go round smashing people’s cars up and punching people in the face. Satisfying, but can land you in so much trouble. Over a bit of space on the road.

I think the tactic of filming them then putting pressure on the police to act on evidence of bad driving and stuff is more effective. When drivers start to lear that bad driving isn’t something they can get away with as much, then maybe they’ll learn.

I’d be happy if that cabbie at the end lost his licence. Whatever the cyclist did, assaulting someone is inexcusable.

owenfackrell
    Free Member

DrP – Member
    DrP

“FH62 GNU” – sorry, a car parked outside seemed a bit close to my house…
    How have you posted from the future?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I love that… a man so obnoxious that even rivers give him a wide birth 😀

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

It’s knows not to mess with me, TSY…

tobciocc
    Free Member

To be honest it just reminds of how crap riding in London is, I used to be a cycle courier and some of the driving I witnessed was shocking. I like what he does, and overtaking really close to a cyclist should be highlighted as dangerous. Yes he’s shouty, but some drivers have no idea that what they are doing is dangerous.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

stumpy01

That bloke who overtakes on a solid double white line, nearly hits that car then gets out and says “You nearly caused an accident” 😯

It shouldn’t surprise me. But it does.

druidh
    Free Member

I reckon a good 25-30% of those are down to bad road positioning.
    A few more are occasions where a little bit of foresight and letting other traffic get on with its business would also have helped. He does seem to have an “I’m going to go as fast as I can all the time regardless” attitude going on, which is ironic given that’s what he finds at fault with some of the drivers.

TBF to the guy, he does say that the majority of “interactions” are OK, this is just a compilation of stuff collected over a long period.

Lifer
    Free Member

My favourite is the person who holds down the horn because they’re being held up getting to the stationary queue of traffic ~ 10 metres in front.

Lifer
    Free Member

druidh – Member
    I reckon a good 25-30% of those are down to bad road positioning.

E.g?

billysugger
    Free Member

Stop. You’re making him famous. He’ll be on twitter next

druidh
    Free Member

Lifer – Member
    >druidh – Member
    >I reckon a good 25-30% of those are down to bad road positioning.
    E.g?

Well, the one on the bridge(?) with the double white line down the middle is one. There are a couple more where he’s approaching a traffic island and is too close to the kerb, and various others spread throughout. As has been repeated above, a cycle lane is not always the safest place to be as it encourages drives to try to squeeze past.

DezB
    Free Member

He’s not that shouty.

Shall I post up some of mine?

I’m amazed that some of you are cyclists. Certainly glad I don’t go riding with you. Mutual, I’m sure.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 105 total)

The topic ‘gaz545, shouty man on bike off of that youtube. A little uptight or justified?’ is closed to new replies.