Home Forums Chat Forum Garlic crushers…

Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • Garlic crushers…
  • anagallis_arvensis

undoubtedly?”

*is doubtful*

Try making spag bol with roughly chopped garlic, try making it with crushed and finely chopped, then try making it with crushed from a press (if finances run to such a luxury item). Certaily tastes different. Pressed garlic releases more of the chemicals from the cells which therefore spread throughout the food more

digga
    Free Member

Cougar – Moderator
    I use a garlic press most of the time,saves my fingers stinking of garlic all the time.
    I get around that problem by washing my hands.

Sorry, but that’s bullshit.

You cannot simply wash the smell of freshly cut garlic off your fingers. Not with anything that’s going to leave your fingerprints intact anyway.

z1ppy

I found this little titbit interesting

to get the most health benefits from garlic, let it sit for 5-10 minutes after cutting and before cooking or eating. The alliin and the enzyme alliinase are separated in the garlic cell struture when whole. Cutting or pressing the garlic ruptures the cells and releases new compound called allicin which is a phytonutrient adding to garlic’s health promoting benefits. The finer the chopping, mincing, pressing, the alliin and alliinase allowing them to mingle and form a powerful or dicing, the more allicin may be produced. Allicin also gives garlic it’s pungent smell and “bite”. The stronger the smell, the better for your health.

and have yet to find a garlic press that actually presses all the garlic out and doesn’t just squash it round the inside of the press…

ChrisS
    Free Member

You cannot simply wash the smell of freshly cut garlic off your fingers. Not with anything that’s going to leave your fingerprints intact anyway.

Rinse using cold water, rather than hot – can’t remember where I read that tip, seems to work.

lemonysam
    Free Member

d, then try making it with crushed from a press (if finances run to such a luxury item). Certaily tastes different

Amazing, would you say that it makes the bolognaise come to life?

anagallis_arvensis

No it just makes it taste different!

Zippy, thats true and causes me to use more garlic despite needing less so to speak. But then I’m a luxury type of guy 😉

eddiebaby
    Free Member

digga – Member

Wrong. The stainless steel item I posted earlier acts as a soap when you clean it with your hands. Less than a minute and the smell vanishes.
    Weird, but very true.

granny_ring

Oh dear what a can of worms I’ve opened. 🙂
    Cant really justify the expensive presses but if I can get the ‘posh’ Ikea one I will.

fivespot
    Free Member

Ikea one here……very good it is too 😉

nuke

We skipped the plastic Joesph Joseph garlic crushers and went straight for the solid metal one…works well and easy to clean

ugarizza
    Free Member

I’m in the “garlic crusher” camp. Only because the quasi-religious devotion to crushing it with the flat blade of a knife is a bit irritating 🙂

granny_ring

Is anyone going to Ikea and would be able to get me a ‘deluxe’ garlic press and post it on if I cover postage please?
    They don’t do mail order on that and Ikea is miles away from me.
    Thanks if so.

bearnecessities

I live 2 mins from an IKEA; drop me an email and I’ll pop one in the post.

granny_ring

Cheers Bear will do,

Pook

I’ve just received my royal vkb after the recommendations on here.

It’s a revelation. What a piece of kit!

granny_ring

Thanks to bear, I used the Ikea one last night and have to agree with the better half who says its a vast improvement on the old one.
    A top bit of kit for not a lot of money and to be honest I shall use it all the time now instead of the trusty knife!

johndoh
    Free Member

I have an Ikea one (the deluxe version) it has a flippable bit so you can get to it better to clean it.

granny_ring

Yes it’s that one, no wastage.

Pigface
    Free Member

Great fun but a git to clean properly so gets relegated to the drawer of doom after a few uses

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I just thump, peel then finish it off with a few deft knife chops. So much more fun.

wonnyj
    Free Member

Wrong, just wrong. Horrible things to use. Horrible things to wash up.

Use a knife like a real man.

Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Garlic crushers…’ is closed to new replies.