Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Galaxy SIII, or HTC One X
  • Please no other suggestions for now, as I think I’ve narrowed it down to these similarly specced phones.

I currently have an HTC Desire HD and Mrs STR has a Galaxy S2, so I’m sort of familiar with both brands (prefer my HTC UI). A few people at work have SIII’s, which do seem nice though.

Major drawbacks from what I can gather are – poor battery on the HTC and a screen that has a tendency to shatter if you look at it the wrong way on the Sammy.

Anyone got experiences of these phones?

hora
    Free Member

Why not a iphone5? Serious question. The HTC is a poor 3rd IMO to those.

Jamie
    Free Member

If you are buying a S3, and don’t mind red, Expansys are doing it sim free for £399.

fatmax

Oh, I’d be keen to folks feedback.
    I’ve got a two year old HTC that can be upgraded next week.
    Been reading reviews on TechRadar and Stuff etc.
    There is a new HTC One X+ that apparently has more storage and a better battery life, shipping imminently.
    From the reviews I don’t particularly see why the iPhone has such a price premium, they all seem a much of a muchness…

Jamie
    Free Member

…and your question is?

hora – daughter has had various Apple products, including an iPhone 4 and I just dont like the UI, plus the iPhone 5 isn’t as big a screen as the two I’ve mentioned, is it?

stumpy01

Bro-in-law has just bought a HTC One X. I’ve had a bit of a play with it and it seems pretty good. Well put together, although it is polycarbonate I think, so perhaps not as ‘classy’ feeling as an iPhone. Depends if that kind of thing bothers you or not.

For me, I think the One X/Galaxy SIII are a bit too big. I am due an upgrade and am looking to get the HTC One S, I think.

BobaFatt
    Free Member

The HTC is a poor 3rd IMO to those.

Interested to know why?

I have the HTC One X and I am very happy. What’s not to like? most phones these days have the battery life of a mid 80’s Tamiya RC car, everyone I know has to charge their smart phones once a day. Mine came free rather than the 150 sovs Apple wanted for theirs and it costs me less a month. I swithered towards the Samsung but it felt comically big in comparison (even though the screen is only 0.1 inch bigger so maybe it’s just me) and then there’s the array of “bling” colours, some of us prefer black or grey thank you although white on both does look quite good if you like that thing.

It would seem if you want an SD card slot, go for the Samsung, if you’re not bothered go for the HTC. They’re both quad core and 1gb of RAM, HD screens and all that good stuff (if you care)

hora
    Free Member

I had the same dilemma. The S2s screen/menu annoys me. I fear the S3 will be similar. The Note II is awesome though.

IF I decide to buy a tablet though I will buy either a iphone5 or Blackberry.

IF I dont get a tablet = NoteII.

Iphone/Blackberry seem better for text/call only use. The HTC, for me lacks to the Samsungs ‘wow’ visualness….

thebunk

Love my S3, but really they run the same software. Main reason I got an s3 is because the HTC doesn’t have an sd slot…

hora
    Free Member

HTC one X is just about the same price as a S3 on 3.

That would be enough for me to go for the S3. Nowt wrong with the HTC- it the menu/personal preference.. Blackberry menu first, Apple then Samsung. Versatility/time killer fun thing goes to Samsung..

cheers_drive

I sent for the s3. A couple of quid more on 3 but wanted through sd card and removable battery. Needs a back cover to make handling easier but other than that it’s great

superfli
    Free Member

for me it was the ability to change battery and add more mem that swung it for me. S3 for me. already bought a larger battery, even though the standard lasts at least 2days (Powersave on all the time). big battery for long2 day excursions with GPS on.

tomo71
    Free Member

Just went through the same dilemma, settled on the HTC and I love it. Long battery, big improvement on previous models, great phone with a superb camera. Samsung looks good too, so doubt you’d be disappointed with either TBH.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Went S3, I can get up to 2 days on light use which is nice.
    Running the 32gb with 32gb card until 64 gets cheaper.

If you don’t like the samsung layer on the top you can go back to standard ICS/JellyBean fairly quickly.

Fits fine in the hand – a little big in the Otterbox Defender but that is to be expected.

fatmax
    bwaarp
    Free Member

For me, I think the One X/Galaxy SIII are a bit too big. I am due an upgrade and am looking to get the HTC One S, I think.

Big, pah?! There’s me thinking of getting a Galaxy Note 2! 😀

Flaperon

HTC One X is deprecated; either get S3 or wait until One X+ launches in November.

Good range of Windows Phone 8 devices coming at the end of the month.

anthonyb
    Free Member

ive had the original samsung Note since release, and its been perfect for me. The screen is awesome, and it fits in my jean/jacket pocket no problem as its pretty slim.
    The Note 2 looks like the same but even better..

bwaarp
    Free Member

Yeah, I had the first Phablet….the Dell Streak a few years ago and miss the huge screen – it was just great for helping organize academic work. I reckon the Note 2 with all the new wizardry and the stylus will be even better.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

hora you slagged the iphone 5 off last week!! The one X is ace, fast, slick, great battery, easily 2 days on normal light use

hora
    Free Member

I wouldmt say slagged off..the hype/snippets led one to believe the 5 would be awesome not merely an evolution!

MrsToast
    Free Member

I’ve got an S3 – great battery life, huge screen (which is a plus for browsing/text input), fast responsive menus and works well as a phone….

willyboy
    Free Member

My Mrs has just got the One X and its pretty good. Feels nice in your hand and is easy to use. I think the polycarb feels quite nice too and the touch screen is very reponsive/ easy to get used to.

julians
    Free Member

One X owner here, its pretty good, battery will last 2 days of light use, but if you hammer it (ie play complex 3d games), it’ll run out of juice after 3-4 hours. Mine usually gets to the end of the day and still has 50% juice left.

If you need removable sd card or battery then go Galaxy s3, if you’re not bothered about either of these then go One X.

IMO the one X feels better built and looks nicer and smaller than S3, and is cheaper.

gavlp
    Free Member

A also had a Desire HD and now I have the HTC 1X but considered the SIII. In the end it came down to personal preference for the HTC UI.

Dont forget the 1X also comes with a free Dropbox account which after a couple of steps you can get up to 25MB storage space for 2 years for free. I’ve found that invaluable.

I wouldnt go down the Apple route if you paid me!

There is something to say about waiting for the 1X+ to be launched IMO as the battery may well be worth waiting for!

rogg
    Free Member

HTC One X here – it took a couple of weeks to get used to the size of the thing after two years of using an HTC Desire, but the extra screen size really is useful. Get a decent case for it *immediately* – I dropped mine onto concrete on the second day, dented a corner but it did survive. The back cover doesn’t seem as scratch resistant as the old Desire. Tons of memory, very fast, great display, great camera, and it’s converted me to Dropbox so overall I’d recommend it.
    Oh and some of the made-for-Tegra games are just beautiful (not that I’m much of a gamer).

Edit: One more thing…I’m getting almost 2 days battery life as well, double that of the old Desire.

crazy-legs

I’m in need of a new phone – got an HTC Desire S which is a year old but it’s starting to play up badly. Keeps refusing to recognise the SIM card which then requires a full restart, it drops the signal regularly (also requiring a full restart) and occasionally it just restarts itself. Total pain.

I’d quite like to change it for the One X but if there’s a new One X coming soon I’ll see if I can sort one of those. I really like the HTC interface, it’s just a shame that what until now has been a really good phone is starting to go so badly wrong.

santacruzsi
    Free Member

I have the S3 having come from Iphone 4 and i’m impressed with it. Plenty of storage space and i dropped it yesterday onto a paving stone; it bounced and is working fine, no cracked screen! Prefer android from iOS.

IanW
    Free Member

Got a HTC one x about 6 months ago. No problem moving from ios to android some features I prefer, google contacts some I don’t , no OS maps offline.

The phone itself is too big as a phone but its superb as a media device, I usually have a season or two of the wire, breaking bad etc loaded and its a great size to view video.

Battery life is what you would expect, its a good device wth loads of uses so you use it and the battery goes down. If you don’t use it the battery lasts ages.

I think apple has lost its new product advantage, I doubt there’s much between the Samsung and the HTC both a bit too big tbh but if you can live with that, either may be the only tech you need.

Ps may go for the note next, I travel a bit and reckon its all the office I need.

julians
    Free Member

for offline maps on android, try out an app called OSMAND, they’re not OS, but they’re pretty detailed, and I find them fine for working out where you are in the middle of nowhere.

sadexpunk

crazy legs, have you considered rooting it to instal some different software. you could make it like a new phone with better battery life etc.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Galaxy SIII, or HTC One X’ is closed to new replies.