Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Gah, typical! Anyone got a couple of links of 5/16" chain?
  • IHN

For a SS shopper bodge? I have a SS chain from another bike that I thought would fit, but, of course, it’s exactly two links (i.e. and inner and an outer) short. Grr…

To add to the complication, it would seem that it’s a 5/16″ chain, which, I’ll be honest, I didn’t know existed 😐

5/16 would be very wide.
    If you mean 3/16, then yes, I just fitted a new chain to a delivery bike. I’ll look for the offcut when I get home later

IHN

Hmm, just measured it again.

Outer edge to outer edge width of outer link = 5/16″
    Outer edge to outer edge width of inner link (or, I suppose, inner edge to inner edge of outer link) = 3/16″

I’m not sure which bit I’m supposed to take the size from if I’m honest. I have just discovered that it’s a SRAM chain though 😕

IHN

Right, I checked with Sheldon and I should be measuring inner edge to inner edge of inner link, which I’ve done, and it’s 1/8″.

Every day is a schoolday…

1/8″ is normal SS chain.
    The 3/16″ chain I’ve got is an extra wide one on a vintage delivery bike. I ended up buying a 415 motorbike/scooter chain as it’s all I could find.

I bought a 1/8″ chain for the vintage tandem and tried to fit that at the weekend too.
    It turns out that because the chainstays are so long, I need about 126 links and the one I bought is 112, so I’ll have to buy another one myself.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Gah, typical! Anyone got a couple of links of 5/16" chain?’ is closed to new replies.