Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Future Salsa distribution in the UK looking uncertain?
  • wwaswas

http://www.bikebiz.com/news/read/ison-distribution-and-salsa-cycles-part-ways-after-a-decade/016709

By mutual consent, Ison Distribution and Salsa Cycles are ending their long term distribution partnership of over ten years.

The split is effective from today (Aug 1st) with Model Year 2015 product.

Here’s the nitty gritty details for Salsa dealers:

Ison will continue to offer a full warranty and support service for all Salsa product purchased through Ison until a new distributor is found.
    Ison will continue to deliver a limited supply of pre-2015 Salsa products, until a new UK distributor is appointed.
    Salsa USA will consider a direct to UK dealer supply for a limited range of 2015 frames and parts until a new distributor has been appointed.
    Ison will continue to expand its other bike brand interests.

Seems a shame after so long 🙁

So other than being a pita for existing dealers who will want to get hold of the full 2015 range can we expect to see a load of 2014 stock sold off cheap?

GregMay
    Free Member

It’s been coming for a while sadly 🙁

hora
    Free Member

How come/why?

johnnystorm

This is coming from an openly “Know nothing about the industry perspective” but I thought that Salsa was pretty poorly promoted and that the whole Adventure bike aspect and related events was a missed opportunity.

Seeing as Salsa is also part of the QBP empire does this have similar ramifications for Surly, All City, etc?

GregMay
    Free Member

Surly are not being effected from what I know.

officerfriendly
    Free Member

What? Why???

STATO
    Free Member

Salsa seem to be really pushing themselves as a major manufacturer now, DW suspension, very close relationships with RS/SRAM. Not a surprise they want a bigger distributor.

Shame tho, ISON seem pretty good, especially their website letting you see what was in stock or when it was due. Billys (their shop front?) were always good too, hope this dosnt affect them all too much, still a few good/biggish/niche brands for them to push.

AlasdairMc

the whole Adventure bike aspect and related events was a missed opportunity.

I don’t know – the real bikepacking/mile munching that Salsa aim for is still pretty niche in the UK, and the opportunities to promote at events is quite limited when the UK’s best ‘adventure bike races’ are very low key affairs that deliberately seek to avoid being called races or being anything official.

johnnystorm

Plenty of opportunity for growth then. 😉

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Plenty of opportunity for growth then.

Not really, unless you start holding stuff like the highland 550 monthly. We’re just not as bit as the USA, there aren’t enough adventruous routes!

can we expect to see a load of 2014 stock sold off cheap?

Surely the opposite, if there’s no 2015 Salsa’s then the 2014 will stay full price? Shame, I want a DW spearfish.

AlasdairMc

the highland 550 monthly

Now THAT could be amusing. A winter round would require a fatbike, skis and a full winter rack, and take anything up to a fortnight…

johnnystorm

Doesn’t have to be mental events like the HTR. That fella seems to be selling a boatload of those Microadventure books.

STATO
    Free Member

Salsa is about adventure by bike, dosnt have to be 3week epics. Adventure out your back door for a few hours still qualifies. They are basically just pushing bikes that are good for riding, hence why they are so popular on here (an El Mariachi thread comes up every week it seems).

Pretty easy to push that sort of thing (non-competative riding) in magazines, bike tests, websites etc.

thomthumb
    Free Member

Not really, unless you start holding stuff like the highland 550 monthly. We’re just not as bit as the USA, there aren’t enough adventruous routes!

clearly not a marketing man; We buy a freeride bike and dream of a gnarlfest in the camloops, whilst mincing round the woods behind the nationwide in swindon.

rOcKeTdOg

Might be some “clearing the warehouse” bargains to be had tho

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

If you google 2014 Salsa models there little, if any stock of anything anywhere. There’s only 3 shops in the country listing split pivot frames (how many even have stock I’ve not checked). Doesn’t look like they’ve been supplying Ison for a while, certainly looks like there’s more to it than the amicability the statement implies.

ratherbeintobago

Doesn’t look like they’ve been supplying Ison for a while, certainly looks like there’s more to it than the amicability the statement implies.

Yes and no. I don’t think there was huge stock of any of the 2014 bikes, but OTOH I got an El Mar supplied via Ison (as a special order from Salsa HQ as UK stock had run out) a month ago.

ratherbeintobago

According to a post in the comments on this page about the 2015 El Mar lineup, Salsa are planning to ship direct to UK dealers, and only frames.

Clink

According to a post in the comments on this page about the 2015 El Mar lineup, Salsa are planning to ship direct to UK dealers, and only frames.

That’s what CTBM told me.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Anyone want to buy my el mariachi then? 😀

tricky-dicky
    Free Member

Just built an El Mariachi for a customer, really great frame, lovely build quality and paintwork. Supplied by CTBM and he is confident that he will be able to supply frames going forward.

Jeffus
    Free Member

My 2012 Spearfish was great, the fastest I’ve ever ridden a bike was on my Spearfish, sold it to help my daughter out.
    Speafish 1 frame, XTR and Hope bits ,Rebas, 25.9lb with a reverb 😀

theotherjonv

What about stuff like frame spares, such as dropouts / mech hangers? Any shops hold these, or do they need ordering from salsa in the us?

Anyone got a hanger for a spearfish -http://salsacycles.com/components/category/hangers/257_derailleur_hanger

in stock? Or I guess one of the aftermarket boys?

ratherbeintobago

What about stuff like frame spares, such as dropouts / mech hangers?

I shall ask. I’m after a set of Maxle Alternators…

cynic-al
    Free Member

we expect to see a load of 2014 stock sold off cheap?

And so the vultures circle…any wonder the UK bike trade is ****ed?

bikeneil
    Free Member

And so the vultures circle…any wonder the UK bike trade is ****ed?

Exactly. Everybody wants everything for nothing but at the first sign of trouble they still expect a friendly local bike shop to fix it…

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Future Salsa distribution in the UK looking uncertain?’ is closed to new replies.