Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Full suss fat bike FLAME-ATHON pt2
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

Well since you asked, here it is in mock-up/unfinished form. Needs built, a lot of metal removed, and a disc mount added. Clearance looks good, front mech is there as a chain guide only, will be running 1 x 8.

I’m happy with how it’s turned out – lengthened the back-end by chopping it then inserting 1 1/8″ steerer into the gap. Crank clearance is tight though (using a RF DH BB – 83mm IIRC) and calf may be too.

These frames have high bbs aleady so we tried to lower the back end which will mitigate any further increase and also make it nice and slack – angles are in fact 70/68 and BB is 15.25″, the TT is long though so I can move the saddle forward – which will help on steep techie climbs (as much the purpose for the bike as sand and snow).

Frame cost £100 + 3 x bottles of wine to brazing assistant, whole bike <£800.

IMG_1427 by alan cole, on Flickr

IMG_1426 by alan cole, on Flickr

ton

looks ok i reckon.

but all my bikes look shyte………….. 😉

cynic-al
    Free Member

It’s not an aesthetic project but I think it’s OK in that regard.

Northwind

That’s kinda fab. How much bounce does it have in the back? Trying to visualise the clearance under compression

cynic-al
    Free Member

Aww thanks. 100mm back, 90mm front, about 10mm/-2mm clearance under full compression respectively 😎

crikey
    Free Member

I’m impressed and intrigued, I’d really like to know how it rides. I’m thinking that the …presumably spongy nature of the tyres?… will be quite quick to rebound, and that the shock would be best if it was well damped?

Dunno how it will perform as a whole system?

stanfree
    Free Member

Can see Coastkid heading for the mancave try cut and shut his famous Super V.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Aye crikey, will have to see. I didn’t like the bouncy nature of the tyres on a rigid frame.

ampthill

Great to see people giving things a go….

Northwind

I take it back then- assuming it doesn’t snap in half and disembowel you, I’ll upgrade it to just plain fab, rather than kinda. Interested to see how it all turns out.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Cheers, will be posting up when it’s done.

coastkid
    Free Member

Nice Al!, (heads to man cave with tape measure…)

PJM1974
    Free Member

I like! Would be interested to see how this project progresses.

cynic-al
    Free Member

So the kitchen passes muster?

crikey
    Free Member

I’ll tell you what would be really cool….

Proper road style drops would make it super stylish…

tthew

I bet you spent nearly as much time tidying up and cleaning as making the bike, just to avoid the comments eh?! 😀

I think that’s possibly the best bike I’ve ever seen on here, (though I’ve liked some of your others too) because it’s a proper home brew, not merely a nice build of bling parts.

Northwind

cynic-al – Member

So the kitchen passes muster?

Apart from the half-empty cutlery drawer

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Kitchen looks a bit different to last time I was up Al… 🙂

coogan
    Free Member

Bring it out on Sunday. So long as you don’t just disappear again…

cynic-al
    Free Member

LOL North…you need to come back Nick…thanks tthew, the kitchen is actually pretty tidy mostly, I share my flat, but my room is a tip, and yes I an single!

cynic-al
    Free Member

In NI Sunday Steve.

P20

Can we have a thread of all your creations in their finished state. A kind of back catalogue and an update as to how they are doing? Cheers

cynic-al
    Free Member

Will do – once Frankenbike has been upgraded further.

I have quite a fLOLtilla of steeds now.

WackoAK
    Free Member

That’s a good effort, almost looks quite normal!

Any reason for using a full sus or is it a case of that’s what you had lying around?

z1ppy

I alway loved that shape marin, pity mine broke, but that looks great.
    Good luck getting it going.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Full suss fat bike FLAME-ATHON pt2’ is closed to new replies.