• This topic has 26 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by adsh.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Full sus for XCO racing
  • krisk
    Free Member

I have been riding/racing on a 2008 sworks epic. It now needs a few things changed, and as the 2008 frame was still early days, I’d rather invest in something newer than fix this machine.

The 26 short travel fs suited me well, and I haven’t enjoyed 29 ht on the types of courses I normally ride.

For racing I obviously want something light.
    What I want to know is what fs machines the pros are riding. Does anyone know where to find such info?
    Or any other suggestions for something similar to the epic?

Thanks
    Kris

wiggles
    Free Member

Going to struggle for something that isn’t a 29er…

New epic or Whyte M109 would be my choices.

NormalMan

An Epic would be my choice. Got to be worth a demo ride IMHO.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The 100mm version of whatever their sponsor makes….

There are plenty on ht though, depends on how hard the course is.

Rickos
    Free Member

I think Niño Schurter uses a 650b full sus Scott Spark which might be worth a look if you don’t fancy 29.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Jaroslav Kulhavy won t’lympics on an Epic.
    Probably the only fs I’d look at.

taxi25
    Free Member

I’ve got a Trek superfly 100 sl. Got it down to 23lbs with a stealth reverb fitted, easily take half a pound of with a carbon post. I’ll do a few xc races next year, but mostly its a super fast pretty capable trail bike 😀

Saccades
    Free Member

merida 99?

adsh
    Free Member

I’m selling my as new Merida 96 100mm 26″ FS frame if you’re a large? 2100g including shock and sub 21lb built up.

njee20
    Free Member

Epic
    Superfly
    Spark
    Anthem

First two are 29er, spark is 650 or 29, anthem is 650. What the pros are riding isn’t vastly relevant really, you’re not them. Anything of that ilk will be good enough, 26″ has largely died a death and Nino Schurter has been unusual in using 650b.

JCL
    Free Member

It was either 8 or 9 of the top ten at the World Champs were on FS. Pendral won the women’s on FS.

Niño won the last to World Cups on FS.

njee20
    Free Member

Depends on courses though, so that’s not all that relevant to look at one race in insolation. Top 3 at the Olympic men’s race were 29er FS – 650b hardtail – 29er hardtail. Kulhavy always rides an Epic, Schurter nearly always rides a Scale.

Hardtails are still more prevalent, but FS is gaining ground. 29er still dominates.

oliverracing

I’m in a similar boat (but would likely prefer a 29er). I have fallen in love with the rocky mountain element, even though they don’t do a build that I would like from stock, this isn’t helped by the offerings from cube and canyon being amazing value and that I found out the company that I will be doing my year in industry with next year gets 30% off on all Whytes!

njee20
    Free Member

It’s all personal. There aren’t really bad bikes. Some courses will be better on a hardtail, some on FS. depends a bit on your riding style too. Try a few bikes, buy the one you like.

Personally I went from 26″ FSs (Epic/Epic/Epic/Top Fuel/Top Fuel) to a 29er hardtail (Superfly), and I’m pleased with the change. Would be tempted by 29er FS, but not enough to make the change myself.

JCL
    Free Member

I think the top guys, even Absalon, have worked out that they’re faster on every course. If they’re riding them in that Nove Mesto round, which is hardly technical, I wouldn’t even consider a hardtail for beer league level racing.

mashiehood
    Free Member

Have a look at a scalpel 29er – some great deals on Westbrook cycles last time I looked

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Lots of suggestions up there, for racing though you need something you feel comfortable with and something that fits right. After that unless there is something seriously wrong with it skill and fitness will take care of the rest.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I can you that our team had the pick of the Scott range, anything we want and got to test before order back to back, we’ve had in no particular order

4 x Spark 29
    1 x Spark 650
    2 x Scale 650

This is for World Cup and National Elite level racing.

vondally
    Free Member

I agree with mykewsmith get something that fits you and you like, I have a rocky element 29er with 120 mm forks and it is outstanding on climbs, brilliant on downs and just a blast. Tried ascott and did not like nor the anthem was not comfortable

so get out there and try

ps I have yet to hear anything really bad on the rockys….

njee20
    Free Member

I think the top guys, even Absalon, have worked out that they’re faster on every course. If they’re riding them in that Nove Mesto round, which is hardly technical, I wouldn’t even consider a hardtail for beer league level racing.

Srsly? For a start they haven’t, they still choose based on the course. Did you ride Nove Mesto? Or are you assessing it from your sofa?

The other issue to consider with a pro is that they will have the very top of the like bike regardless. Your average racer won’t. They will have £x to spend, and buying FS does bring a compromise there.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I have to also agree with Vondally (wasn’t going to do the what I ride thing)but the element is a hoot, need to see if I can get the forks out to 120 on mine when I’m back too.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Nove mesto isn’t one of the more technical courses granted, but is very rough both up hill and down, hence the decision to run FS for most of the hitters.

The tide has started to turn a bit now and a lot of WC racers are taking FS on nearly all courses now, they’d rather take the weight penalty these days for the benefit.

njee20
    Free Member

Which is indicative of the courses changing and the bikes improving, which makes total sense, and I’m sure the tide will probably continue. That doesn’t mean it makes sense to do the same for your local Gorricks with a £1000 budget. Personal.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Agreed.

pete68
    Free Member

Anthem 29 still worth a look .seems good value. Depends on the budget but pivot 4 29th is very good . Pedals really well and a great descender too. Bit heavy possibly but makes a good all round bike.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Also unless it’s a dedicated race machine make sure it’s something that you will enjoy riding too. My element is for racing and riding when I don’t need/want the Blur LTc.

adsh
    Free Member

That doesn’t mean it makes sense to do the same for your local Gorricks

Very true!

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Full sus for XCO racing’ is closed to new replies.