Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Fujifilm X20 camera owner anyone?
  • kayak23

Been looking at getting one of these as I just don’t/can’t carry my SLR around on the bike as much as I’d like. I figure a (semi) compact would be much more portable, plus this one has a viewfinder and looks pretty sexy(I’d go for the silver one)

They seem to get pretty good reviews, all except for the video quality.
    To be honest, I don’t shoot much video, plus my SLR can do that, and I also have a Gopro (get me and my tech!)..but it would be a nice option to have.

Does anyone own one of these, or perhaps the X10, X100 or X100s?
    Would appreciate some real world experience, plus and minus points, from bike riders.

A couple of X20 users yesterday…

Earl
    Free Member

I own the point and shoot xz10 which I got from pcworld for £130 a month ago.

I not a photo guy but it feels like really good stuff… my Nikon D3100 sits on the shelf now. The fast lens is orsome.

I’m not sure if that helps as I assume its way below those others you have mentioned.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

I’ve had the X10 since it was released, great camera, even better with the software upgrade which added a few functions from higher up the range.

Very happy with it, great build quality, the non-inter changeable lens means I can simply get on and use it.

Millican even do a lovely soft case for it:
    http://www.homeofmillican.com/info/fujifilm-x

I have no desire to upgrade it

kayak23

I’ve had the X10 since it was released,

What’s the video like? Do you ever use it?
    A second hand X10 might be an option perhaps…

bob_summers

I’ve got one. On paper it didn’t measure up against the Sony one at the same price but I love using it so it goes everywhere with me, and you know what they say….

I’d attach some sample images but I’m a crap photog…

k-sugden
    Free Member

Hi I have one the images are very sharp with excellent colours. The auto focus is rapid and full info in the view finder. The view finder its self only shows about 80% of the image but you soon get used to cropping a bit tighter to compensate. good reviews http://www.riflessifotografici.com/prove-corpi-macchina/fujifilm-x20-test-completo.html and http://photomadd.com/review-fujifilm-x20/

if you go to the online Fuji shop you can use the following code for 10% off a refurbished one P258BTCC467

None biking related sample images

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/XFs2E5T.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Q2gQIPd.jpg[/IMG]

bonchance
    Free Member

weird the outdoor shots above have a kind of indoor/missed exposure look to them (were they on A?).. But the indoor and night shots seem better exposed (or is it just contrast/balance)?

Fuji fan here as well. X100 is great – but perhaps a little heavy/big for your request…

Canon S110 is also a good compromise pocketcam and has an auto lens cover..

k-sugden
    Free Member

Think I may have overdone the polariser although Imur haven’t done them any favors the full size files are much better balanced.

bob_summers

I would love an X100s but, probably like OP, not having zoom is probably a deal breaker for riding photography.

Well I said I wouldn’t, but here are some bike photos in addition to k-sugden’s. IANAP by any means, these are just point and click. X20’s optical view finder is very handy for sunny days when you can’t see the screen.

Straight out of camera to picasa photos, I never do any tweaking (the tilt shift photo is just one of the ‘fun’ camera modes)

kayak23

Hey thanks for the replies. Some really nice images above.
    Great shout on the Fuji store discount K-sugden, they only have a reconditioned one in black but the discount makes it pretty tempting!

It really does look like it’s a great little camera and a good partner to my D7100.
    I just can’t understand why they decided to make the movie mode so apparently basic when the rest is so feature-rich.

kiwijohn

I don’t think any X series is focused on video. Can’t say I’ve ever used it on my X10.
    They’re great cameras for the size. I really like the view finder & the X20 is even better.

bob_summers

I’ve used the x20’s video a few times, it’s OK for filming the lad, better than my mobile and that’s about the best thing I can say about it.

Used it once for cycling stuff and it’s pretty crappy (though to be fair I don’t think uploading to YT does it any favours at all). Recent u17 race:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5CzIknemgU[/video]

kayak23

Thanks for the replies and thanks k-sugden
    for that discount code.

I went and looked at the x20 and x100s in the flesh yesterday and had a play about. Small ain’t they? Guess I got used to an slr…

I was really set on the silver model from pictures I’d seen, but in the flesh I thought the paint finish looked a bit cheap and plastic, kind of strange seeing how it’s actually metal.
    The same was true of even the x100s which is the wrong side of £800!….
    It’s a shame I thought.

Anyway, ordered the black refurbished one with the code you kindly gave
    so thanks a lot for that.
    Hopefully I’ll really get some use out of it on the bike…

k-sugden
    Free Member

I have the black and it looks the part, I an sure you will use it for more than you think I have barely touched Pentax K5 since getting mine. you will need a couple of spare battery’s I got mine from 7 day shop and they last as well as the Fuji original.

kayak23

Thanks again all, and particularly k-sugden, it arrived today! 😀
    The black looks lush in the flesh and I’m glad I went for it.
    I also got a lens hood for it.

Looking forward to getting it clicking…

ampthill

Post some shots with it. I’m keen to see how you get on….

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I’d also like to thank kSugden, mine should beat me to my house hopefully!

Nice discount.

Black also, silver looks cheap and a bit gimmicky

bob_summers

Needs a red shutter release!

The black ones look great when they’re a bit battle scarred.
    IMO silver looks anything but cheap, considering they’re about 400€ now.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

My black X20 arrived, it’s lovely, much nicer to use than my Sony RX100.

It came with 2 batteries as well, chuffed.

Photos look lovely set up on Velvia with -1 colour, the rest as standard.

kayak23

I’m loving the colour isolation mode….

Miniature mode messing about…

It also does a very impressive fast frame rate if you’re after a sequence etc. I’m struggling to nail sharp focus on a relatively fast moving subject though. Any tips? I’m in continuous focus and pre-focus on the ground where the rider will be but still never quite get it sharp. (400 shutter speed )

kiwijohn

If I may make a few suggestions;
    For taking it on the bike, I use a Lowe Pro Dashpoint 20 case on my shoulder strap.
    To avoid finding somewhere for the lens cap, I use a H&Y 40mm filterFilters without the hood are a bit hit & miss, I think the actual thread is 40.5mm. I also have a Gordys wrist strap & a Gorillapod micro 250 attached & they all fit in the Dashpoint.
    For vanity, red shutter releases are easily lost & Toma half cases are a pain when you need to get the card & battery. But they look good.
    Edit. Also Alexander S Whites Guide to the Fujifilm X10, would probably still be worth a look for an X20 owner.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

loving the “Miniture” mode

ElShalimo

Are you guys still as happy with the X20 several months later?

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I sold mine a month ago.

Ultimately not happy with the photo quality and was expecting a bit better. It was nice to have a proper zoom ( not a button) but I found the camera slow to operate. Awkward really.

Bought a Fuji x-E2 instead. The aperture ring on the lens and the shutter dial on the top , just like a nice old film camera, I find it quick to operate preferring aperture priority over anything else.

The x-E2 was considerably more expensive but after a few months with the X20 and a few before that with aSony RX100, I realised I was simply after something better than a high quality compact could offer.

I do miss the (small) size of the X20 though.

kayak23

Still happy with mine for what it is. It’s good for biking. Small to carry and fast frame rate.

bob_summers

Still love mine after a year or so. Don’t use it for biking photos though, which isn’t its forte. As mentioned above, too slow. I’d consider upgrading to the x100s but that’s about it, I’m not an enthusiast, I’m just after good ooc jpegs without any messing after other than cropping etc. The size helps ensure it goes pretty much everywhere.
    Not having wifi is annoying though.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

X20 – x100s? Isn’t that ‘upgrading’ apples to oranges? ie changing from a compact zoom camera to a fixed prime camera? I get that the IQ of the X100s is an upgrade from an X20. Yet isn’t each designed as different horse for different course? Rather than one vs the other?

bob_summers

Yeah, different beasts I guess. I was originally going to buy the x100s but wasn’t sure if I’d use it enough to justify the price, and thought I might take it riding. As it turned out I’ve hammered the x20 and rarely touch the zoom.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

@bob – I suppose if you could take the hit in size you might be better served with the X100s for beautiful IQ? Then there’s the Ricoh GRD with snap focus and dinky size…I want them all!

ericemel
    Free Member

I have the Ricoh GR – fab camera with an absolute cracking sensor and lens. But would love a viewfinder.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Fujifilm X20 camera owner anyone?’ is closed to new replies.