Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Fsa megaexo cranks & bottom brackets
  • mildred

Are these the same as x-type/HT2 etc?

Rio

Yes, with the exception that the bearings are made out of compressed rust. At least, that’s what mine looked like after a couple of wet rides.

warpcow
    Free Member

Apparently they are pretty much the same. Hope say no to using their BBs with Megaexo cranks though; something about tophats.

I’ve got to say I’ve been quite impressed with my Megaexo BB. It’s a little over a year old now and still going. Still, I’ll be trying a Shimano when mine packs in, purely because of the price difference.

Conrad
    Free Member

You might want to check diameter of crank axle. If I recall correctly FSA is oversized so you can’t use Hope or Shimano – Explains why their Megaexo BB’s aren’t competitively priced. I had ceramic BB and got rid of the whole crank rather than pay over £100 for a couple of bearings.

warpcow
    Free Member

There was mention of FSA spindles being slightly tapered, which necessitates the tophats or something, and makes them just a bit too big (or was it small?) for Shimano/etc. Then again there’re about a million simialar threads on roadie forums claiming that megaexo works fine with Shimano.

Rio

FSA BB is the same crank diameter as Shimano – I’m using MegaExo cranks with a generic HT2 BB and it works fine.

sockpuppet

mega-exo spindles are not the same diameter as shimano, not all of them anyway.

hope make adapters to use mega-exo cranks with ht2 bbs

EDIT: just looking into this, it’s further cunfused by the whole GXP thing too – thehope GXP converter part number is:

BBSP109 – BB Truvativ GXP Conversion
    crc linky

doesn’t help clear up the mega-exo thing though. my old FSA cranks deffo needed GXP bearings, though.

theboatman
    Free Member

Iahve an fsa megaexo crank and have run it with a shimano HT2 BB, and am now use a blackspire HT2 compatable one, with no issues.

mildred

So is megaexo same as truvativ howitzer in that it has a separate spindle, or is it permanently attached to one of the crank arms like HT2?

warpcow
    Free Member

Permanently attached to the driveside arm on mine.

swampi
    Free Member

I run my fsa afterburner cranks with ht2 bb without problems, I also have a cyclocross fsa crank with 19mm spindle cranks that requires their own bb

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Fsa megaexo cranks & bottom brackets’ is closed to new replies.