Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • front end clunk
  • z1ppy

M8 just got a 1st mtb bike.. I happened to bump into him on his maiden voyage (canal loop), and looking over the bike, I noticed the front end was clunking.

Headset tight, brand new forks (couldn’t feel play), brake caliper on tight (too much of clunk to be the pads IMO).. at a bit of a loss, so got him to rock it while I held the rotor… I can feel the play here but it a center lock rotor, so surely they shouldn’t be play? (I’ve never fitted one, but there splined aren’t they)
    So I’m thinking now, maybe his wheel bearings?

At a loss at the moment, gunna see him later in the week, but looking for idea’s, so we can avoid a trip back to the not so local bike shop.

jonba
    Free Member

centre locks are held on with a cassette lock ring. Maybe that is loose. Cassettes will rattle if not tight enough.

Also it might be the fork. Some top out if the pressure is too high or rebound too fast which gives a clunking sound – if it has rebound try slowing it down a bit.

z1ppy

yeah know I need the cassette tool, which is why I didn’t investigate further on the ‘trail’, but I couldn’t move the rotor by hand at the time. The clunk is when you rock the bike on the front brake, so don’t think the top out would be the issue, but will bear it in mind – thx.
    Just been scratching my head and am looking for idea’s, as nothing seemed obvious

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘front end clunk’ is closed to new replies.