Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Fresh Goods Friday 163 (the cheap seats comments)
  • craa22uk

not being premier i can’t grumble on the page, but i like a grumble, so if you do too why not do it here? (re Fresh Goods Friday 163)

http://singletrackworld.com/2012/04/fresh-goods-friday-163

ok, those glasses. 70 quid for something you’ll sit on or break in your bag, surely we’re all on the same page here with getting cheap safety specs out b and q?

tyre levers?!?!!? why would you need levers on an mtb? i run skinny 1.35s on my pub bike and can get them easily on and off doing the pushdown techniquey-thing and no levers.

</grumble>

xiphon
    Free Member

You clearly have never tried to get some Maxxis DH tyres off a Deemax rim.

z1ppy

Tyre lever are useful, though I rarely use them nowadays, there are some rim/tyre combo that just won’t come off by hand. That said having tried several types, I can’t see any point of buying anything other than Pedro tyre levers.

As for the Mega, I had a quick look at one (frame only) in a shop yesterday and was impressed by the quality of the welds and overall finish, not sure about the “carbon effect” stickers though.

donsimon
    Free Member

I haven’t. Why would I?

craa22uk

man up, xiphon 😛

DezB
    Free Member

…or Bontrager TRs off any rim

xiphon
    Free Member

It’s an example of when fingers don’t work – and a tyre lever is essential.

There are many rim/tyre combinations which are just a bit too tight for fingers, no matter how gnarrrr you think you are.

njee20
    Free Member

ok, those glasses. 70 quid for something you’ll sit on or break in your bag, surely we’re all on the same page here with getting cheap safety specs out b and q?

Have you heard of a brand called Oakley?

How much was your bike? How many pairs of eyes do you have? I’m happy spending a bit on decent glasses!

trail_rat
    Free Member

Dunno cant help it if you are clumsy and are prone to sitting on your glasses

My oakleys are still as i bought them – although the selling point for me was the texan store woman throwing them on the floor and telling me to stand on them – then puttng them back together and me trying them on again.

DezB
    Free Member

It’s quite amusing that people think £100 Oakleys will protect their eyes any better than a set of Lidls £4.99 jobs 😆

kayak23

As for the Mega,not sure about the “carbon effect” stickers though

They double up as as frame protection. They are about as thick as a 1p!

They are a great idea but I have to say, they look out of place on anything other than the black frames.

I have a black frame and they looked good, however, I wasn’t into having Nukeproof written about ten million times all over my frame so I took them off for stealth mode… 🙂

To hell with scratches!

DrP

It’s quite amusing that people think £100 Oakleys will protect their eyes any better than a set of Lidls £4.99 jobs

Not that I disagree, but I’ve gone through plenty of safety specs/lidls glasses etc, which are all up to the job.
    Then I treated myself to a pair of Oakleys, and (IMO) the optics are better, the lenses have remained scratch free a lot longer (maybe as they were a lot more expensive I’m taking more care..?), and they are more comfortable.

It’s a case of “they’re not 20 times better, but they are better”…

DrP

(will reply about the BBB ASAP!)

xiphon
    Free Member

DezB I’ve had cheap glasses lenses shatter on me from stones flicking up. Bought some Oakleys ‘cos my eyes are worth more than £4.99. And they do work very well.

mboy
    Free Member

It’s an example of when fingers don’t work – and a tyre lever is essential.
    There are many rim/tyre combinations which are just a bit too tight for fingers, no matter how gnarrrr you think you are.

Over the years of pissing about with tubeless in particular UST, I’d say after many scrubbed knuckles, near hospital visits with broken fingers, and lots of blood, I’m bloody good at getting tyres on or off without tyre levers. As xiphon says though, there are just some combos it ain’t ever gonna happen and you have to reach for a lever!

Have you heard of a brand called Oakley?

Haha, precisely. £70 is mucho cheap for a decent pair of glasses these days! You don’t have to buy them, freedom of choice and all that (and you can get MUCH better glasses than in B&Q like Bolle for cheaper than the shite they sell in B&Q etc.), but I’ve spent way more on Oakleys in the past, and probably will do again in the future when I’ve got cash spare…

Kryton57

DezB – Member
    It’s quite amusing that people think £100 Oakleys will protect their eyes any better than a set of Lidls £4.99 jobs

Its all about how good you look, haven’t you realised that yet?

z1ppy

had another look at the tyre levers, as I only glanced at the mention and see
    from Park have a steel core with composite covering on the outside

So like the £3 Soma ones then… which were good until the plastic eventually crack off and become useless.

Kayak, that make sense but I prefer the frame protection where it actually needed, under the down tube, not on the side of it..

wwaswas

Its all about how good you look feel

ftfy

kayak23

Kayak, that make sense but I prefer the frame protection where it actually needed, under the down tube, not on the side of it..

Its there too. A long strip which says ‘Nukeproof’ about 10 times…
    Too much branding for my liking.
    It also has it on the top tube in two segments, on the side of the downtube, on the seattube, on the back of the seattube, on the seat stays inside and out, on the chainstays inside and out, headtube… etc etc…..

Let there be no doubt that this frame is a NUKEPROOF!!!!
    I took ’em off, all except the underside of the downtube. They can read that one in photos when I’m getting sick air… 😀

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I had some Deemax and never had a problem with Maxxis UST tyres, tried some Michelin steel beaded ones once though and had to cut the things off with a set of pliers.

rusty90
    Free Member

I’ve had cheap glasses lenses shatter on me from stones flicking up. Bought some Oakleys ‘cos my eyes are worth more than £4.99.

[url=http://www.nothingbutsafetyglasses.com/products/glasses]http://www.nothingbutsafetyglasses.com/products/glasses[/url] Safety glasses certifed to European EN166 industrial safety standards from £1.49, if you’re really concerned about safety and not appearance (although some of the Bolle ones look pretty cool as well)

DezB
    Free Member

Then I treated myself to a pair of Oakleys, and (IMO) the optics are better, the lenses have remained scratch free a lot longer (maybe as they were a lot more expensive I’m taking more care..?), and they are more comfortable.

It’s a case of “they’re not 20 times better, but they are better”…

Well, as you’re a doctor..!
    Of course they are better but will they protect your eyes any better. The only glasses I’ve broken were expensive ones, when I hit my face on a tree. Your Oakleys wouldn’t survive that any better!

re: BBB – no probs 🙂

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Nukeproofs look cheap and the product names all seem a bit trying to be ‘ard but are more Ben10.

Kryton57

rusty90 – Member

http://www.nothingbutsafetyglasses.com/products/glasses Safety glasses certifed to European EN166 industrial safety standards from £1.49, if you’re really concerned about safety and not appearance (although some of the Bolle ones look pretty cool as well)

Quite like the look of the Mamba’s – and you get 3 sets of anti slip anti-fog, scratch resisitant, clear/yellow/smoked glassed for less that £18!

I still wouldn’t feel as good as I do in my Radars’s though… would I?

craa22uk

http://www.nothingbutsafetyglasses.com/products/glasses/bolle-contour-smoke

i’m with you, rusty90, my mate in the asbestos removal trade gave me a pair of these out his work store and they’ve been great, durable and safe however you measure it

not bad for a fiver, if you have to pay

Mister-P
    Free Member

Its all about how good you look, haven’t you realised that yet?

No-one looks good on a bike. Just some look less silly than others.

DrP

Of course they are better but will they protect your eyes any better.

Not from stones or the like, but I look so good in them…..
    (and I think I can see through them better also, but I am VERY particular about lens optics – verging on anal in fact….

DrP

kayak23

Nukeproofs look cheap

Ummm…..They ARE cheap… 🙂

Actually, in the flesh they look fantastic. Lovely finish on my black anodised one. Though I have to say, the headtube area welds are a little…..agricultural.

theotherjonv

http://www.nothingbutsafetyglasses.com/products/glasses

I don’t break mine – I get back from riding , put them on top of the car, and then drive off!

Site bookmarked for future perusal!

King-ocelot
    Free Member

kayak23 – Member
    Nukeproofs look cheap
    Ummm…..They ARE cheap…
    Actually, in the flesh they look fantastic. Lovely finish on my black anodised one. Though I have to say, the headtube area welds are a little…..agricultural.
    POSTED 30 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

The finish on my mates is very good and it rides nice too. When I say they look cheap it’s more about the logo and branding.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Fresh Goods Friday 163 (the cheap seats comments)’ is closed to new replies.