Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 82 total)
  • Free Garmin Edge OS-style maps
  • Flaperon

[img]http://s22.postimg.org/o6g69q229/final2.jpg[/img]

If you’ve got an Edge 800 you’ll know that the basemap is useless, and that the official Ordnance Survey Discoverer map is OK, but expensive and cluttered when zoomed in.

TalkyToaster did some good work taking OpenStreetMap data and presenting it in the Ordnance Survey style. I’ve done something similar, except I’ve tried to make it a bit clearer (wider tracks and roads, brighter colours etc), and more importantly, I’m not charging for it.

This is my first foray into Garmin mapping so I’ll try to update this image as I get more familiar with the map creation tools. The map below is based on the most up-to-data OSM data.

Huge thanks to Nick Pinn for starting me off with his OS-style type file and providing helpful support by email.

Download link and installation guide below the screenshots.

[img]http://s22.postimg.org/yqq3sb6k1/final4.jpg[/img]
    [img]http://s22.postimg.org/po1mla6sx/final6.jpg[/img]

Download (~400MB):
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/n5w3h68add8hmk1/OS50.img

Installation:
    Copy directly to your Edge 800’s memory card. I see no reason why this shouldn’t work on the 810 or Touring.

Enable the map:
    Go to Settings -> System -> Maps and make sure it’s enabled. You might want to adjust the detail level as it can get a bit cluttered on levels above “Medium”. I’m aiming to fix that it in the next release.

Notes:
    OpenStreetMap data is good but is missing the odd path. It’s also not verified and subject to error. Relying on this as a sole navigation source is foolish at best and reckless at worst. That being said, I’ve not encountered a problem.

johnnystorm

Cheers, I’ll give these a whirl today. 🙂

allthepies
    Free Member

Awesome, I see Nick’s rebuilt his OS50 style file. I was using the previous version but they were a bit buggy. I’ll try recompiling with the new version 🙂

My maps don’t have contours yet, that’s the next step.

Lucas
    Free Member

Nice one I’ll download these later on and give them ago, normal openstreetmap is a bit difficult to see on the edge 800 screen.

jamiep
    Free Member

Thank you very much. I’ve the TalkyToaster ones but will give these a try too

Flaperon

My maps don’t have contours yet, that’s the next step.

Do you find contours useful on the Edge? I thought they cluttered the map, which is why I left them out.

peteimpreza

Cheers, downloaded and will try on my Touring Plus later.

tootallpaul

Nicely done- will try them out.

Cheers, Paul

DavidB
    Free Member

Great work Flaperon. I contacted the guy from talktoaster to ask how to create the garmin files from raw data, he did not respond. Is it relatively easy? As I have managed to create gradient lines (chevrons) and NCN overlays for OSM but not yet got round to garmin’ising it.

Also, massive chapeau for not charging for it.

peteimpreza

For Touring Plus map enable it’s

Settings/Trip Pages/Map/Map Information Select Map

clubber
    Free Member

Nice work 🙂

FWI I find contours useful as I then know how much further I have to gasp my way up climbs I don’t know well.

Anyone know if this will work on a 605?

thelonebiker
    Free Member

Looks good, I’ll give it a go!! Nice work

DT78
    Free Member

Cheers will give it a try in a couple of days. Tried navigating soton to Banbury yesterday, very frustrating with openstreetmap

covbuggy
    Free Member

Cheers will give a try…

Flaperon

Looks like Dropbox has thrown a tantrum over the data usage. Will try to find a new home for it tomorrow.

Mugboo

Top work & thank you. Are all Edges the same? Should it work on my Etrex 20?

Free Member

Will I be able to down load and install this using an imac. Looks good.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Top work & thank you. Are all Edges the same? Should it work on my Etrex 20?

yes. I renamed it “gmapsupp” as according to the manuals thats the .img file name the etrex needs to recognise it, and its currently installed via the microSD card in my Etrex20.

Havent had chance to use it yet but cheers to the OP.

peteimpreza

@2002

Yes, exactly how I did my unit earlier today.

RoterStern
    Free Member

Nice. Can you do the same for Germany?

Flaperon

@Roter Stern – yep, should be able to but will need to find somewhere new to host the files since Dropbox is limited to 20GB/day.

Speaking of Dropbox, the link should be working again now.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Cheers, I’ll give it a go today, with a ride thrown in.

Do you put the map into a new SD card or does it need to be on the one that comes with the Garmin?

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Cool!

I like it, the maps my 800 came with were pants by comparison

😀

for numpties like me, put Flaperons map into the same place as the maps on your SD card, then deselect the other maps from within the Garmin.

easy.

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

Thanks for the effort and link. Will try here too on my 800.

simmy
    Free Member

I’ve just tried sending this to my Touring and I need another 322 MB of memory.

Will I have to buy another SD card and put these maps on that ?

tootallpaul

Simmy- does your touring have OS maps on it?

You may need a larger card if so.

I picked up a 16gb card, and then moved the OS maps onto it, and all the others.

The menu then allows you to select the appropriate map.

I believe you can also attach a map to a bike profile.

P

peteimpreza

Simmy make sure you copy the file to the memory card not the memory on the unit.

theotherjonv

Just bookmarking for later

simmy
    Free Member

Think I’ve got it sorted now, it’s appearing in the map options so I’ve just sent a previous ride to the Touring so now time to try it out.

Will report back all being well 😀

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Worked fine for me on my ride this morning.

Cheers Flaperon

plop_pants
    Free Member

would this work on a GPS60 CSX?

Flaperon

would this work on a GPS60 CSX?

Probably not, unfortunately.

houndlegs
    Free Member

Where am I going wrong with this? I’ve downloaded the Dropbox file and put it onto a new memory card, but it looks nothing at all like the screenshots on here. I’ve tried altering the level of detail on the maps, but it makes no difference.
    If it makes any difference, when I tried to open the file before putting it on the card, it said it was corrupted.

Flaperon

Try downloading it again? If you’re copying it to a brand new memory card, let the Garmin initialise the card before copying it over to the “Garmin” directory.

If you’re putting it in the root directory of the card, it probably won’t work. Should amend the instructions, really!

To be absolutely clear, it needs to be in the \Garmin\ folder on the card.

piesoup
    Free Member

Thank you very muchly, much appreciated!

I have spent the weekend trying to get my head around this Garmin mapping system. Are you able to clear a few things up for me please?

So the gmapsupp.img is a map, correct? When I select and add maps with MapInstall, how does this differ from just copying the .img file directly to the sd card?
    I can choose between the maps I’ve added with MapInstall on the Garmin’s menu. How do I choose between the .img files I’ve added? Surely as they have the same name only one is allowed on the sd card?

Thank you again for the maps, will try them out tomorrow. And thanks if you are able to clear up my badly worded questions above!

houndlegs
    Free Member

I’ve downloaded it a few times and tried it, but it’s always the same.
    Its obviously me, cos I’m hopeless with this kind of thing.
    As for putting it in the directory or garmin folder, how do I do that.
    Here’s what I did, downloaded it, put my new card into my laptop, right clicked on the Dropbox download, send it to new card.
    There’s no mention of directories or folders or anything.
    I need a real idiots guide to things !ike this, which is incidentally why I’m using a new card so I won’t bugger the original one up 😆

houndlegs
    Free Member

I’ve only gone and bloody done it 8)
    And quite easy once you know how.
    Many thanks,look forward to trying it this week.

mashiehood
    Free Member

so talk us through how you did it houndlegs

houndlegs
    Free Member

Well originally I was just sending it to my new card by right clicking and sending.
    I never knew it had to go in a folder- I know very little about computers apart from internet browsing-I didn’t even know how to open my new card to see what was on it, so I had a little dig about the internet and found out how to open it, and hey presto there was my garmin folder and ahem 😳 four lots of Dropbox downloads from where I just kept sending them lol.
    It was just a matter of dragging one of them to the folder and that was it, and deleted the rest of them. I’m assuming the garmin folder was set up because I’d put the card into the garmin, so I didn’t even have to make a folder, which was good cos I’ve never done that either 😀

smurfly13
    Free Member

They look good – currently downloading – thank you!!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 82 total)

The topic ‘Free Garmin Edge OS-style maps’ is closed to new replies.