Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Frame Components Transplant – 853 >>> 456 – Photo Essay
  • slugwash
    Free Member

Just had an eight mile ride home on the new bike and I think I preferred the old Inbred (which I didn't really leave in the bin, but the new 456 was cheaper than getting the 853 mended). Oh well, let's give it a few more rides and a bit more time.

mpw
    Free Member

What happened to the old frame, crash ??

Jamie
    Free Member

Looks like death by chainsuck.

warpcow
    Free Member

Chainsuck perchance?

Candodavid
    Free Member

Send to argos for a new stay??

thomthumb
    Free Member

doesn't happen with gears 😉

Del

LOL!
    DID happen with gears, doesn't happen with SS. HTH. 😉
    nice one mate. nice colour anyway.
    about this w/e?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Wot no warranty?

rOcKeTdOg

nice essay like the frame swap pics

slugwash
    Free Member

about this w/e?

No, got building works going on at home and have to move lots of junk around 'n stuff. BTW, had a right SS blast at Haldon the other day. I was going to hang around for you guys but my meeting finished early so I had the best part of the afternoon there and had seriously tired myself out by about 6 o'clock. 🙂

Send to argos for a new stay??

Might have to do that when I can afford to. It'd be nice to have the old Inbred resurrected. In the meatime it can hang in the shed next to my other cracked steel frame which I've never got around to having mended.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

why did you get a 456? Traditional inbred would have been closer to the 853 no?

toys19
    Free Member

Weld up the 853 chainstay and carry on.

clubber
    Free Member

Does the 456 ride a lot worse for the lack of 853 pixie dust? 😉

Del

Does the 456 ride a lot worse for the lack of 853 pixie dust?

might be the different geometry that makes the difference…

clubber
    Free Member

Might just be 😉

(I've had both…)

BigDummy
    Free Member

I must confess, I opened this thread with some trepidation, expecting 47 tedious photographs of a bicycle in various stages of being built. But what we actually have is an entertainingly quirky series of pictures that raised a smile. So thanks for that. 🙂

Del

(I've had both…)

me too. i never got on with the 456 either 😉

RestlessNative
    Free Member

Call me old fashioned but it looks like you ignored alot of chainsuck to get to that point?

Nice Photo Essay by the way

Fellow 853 owner, hoping my chainstay doesn't go the same way!

Edric64
    Free Member

Ignorance would seem to play a part in wearing a frame away like that.Did you just keep pedalling and grind away until the chain was back on properly?Will you do the same to the new frame or set your gears up properly.I have never suffered from chainsuck bad enough to destroy a frame despite riding hardtails for over 25 years

slugwash
    Free Member

why did you get a 456? Traditional inbred would have been closer to the 853 no?

1. They didn't have any Inbreds in stock in any colour I liked. I did consider a slot drop-out one to SS if I ever get the 853 mended. I like chocolate brown though.

2. The On-One site said the current Inbreds took a 100mm fork MAX.

3. I thought I'd give the 456 a try. (Christ, it's bloody heavy!)

Weld up the 853 chainstay and carry on.

Probably will do when I can afford it.

Call me old fashioned but it looks like you ignored alot of chainsuck to get to that point?

I haven't had bad chain suck for a couple of years 'cos when I saw PeterPoddy's busted-853-chainsuck-post I realised that it was a potentialy serious problem and kept my drive train nice 'n clean and changed the middle ring for a steel Deore one. Seemed to significantly cure the problem. Obviously, a significant amount of damage had already been done, so it was only a matter of time 🙁

an entertainingly quirky series of pictures that raised a smile. So thanks for that.

Cheers for the compliment 🙂

Ignorance would seem to play a part in wearing a frame away like that…. did you just keep on grinding away…will you be setting the gears up properly, etc

Ooh, yer cheeky bastard 😉

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

2. The On-One site said the current Inbreds took a 100mm fork MAX

You can bet your arse they're the same as they've ever been, they just failed the CEN test so they can't sell them as being safe for any longer than that – backside coverage I suspect.

Besides that Bomber is only 105mm isn't it?

RestlessNative
    Free Member

"I haven't had bad chain suck for a couple of years 'cos when I saw PeterPoddy's busted-853-chainsuck-post I realised that it was a potentialy serious problem and kept my drive train nice 'n clean and changed the middle ring for a steel Deore one. Seemed to significantly cure the problem. Obviously, a significant amount of damage had already been done, so it was only a matter of time "

Damn!

I had it on mine a few times before I lovingly indented the chainstay and changed to a double setup that pretty much never sucks, I hope whatever damage I did in those first few months isn't laying in wait to do that 🙁

Anyway liking the choco brown build

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Frame Components Transplant – 853 >>> 456 – Photo Essay’ is closed to new replies.