Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Fox CTD shock volume reducing kit
  • wobbliscott
    Free Member

Anyone installed one of these? Is an easy install, but i’m now getting my knickers in a twist about what size volume reducer to install. The You Tube vids seem to suggest trial and error starting from the largest/thickest. However looking on the Fox website at the installation matrix, it seems that the use of the two thickest reducers is limited and largely should not be used, or worse, “DO NOT USE!”. So clearly I don’t want to instal those in case I do any damage or just spontaneously combust. I’m leaning to install the middle reducer, but throughout i’d canvas the experiences of the collective before doing it. Its a 140mm travel bike.

Cheers.

havinalaff
    Free Member

Start small. That might be all you need.

daveh
    Free Member

Have you bought the full kit? I bought it a wee while back and got up to speed on it, if you list the specifics of your shock I’m happy to double check your thinking.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    LoCo
    Free Member

Depends on shock, aican size, your weight and the bike.

benji
    Free Member

How often do you blow through the whole of your travel, with the sag set correctly?

Doug
    Free Member

Your bike travel is irrelevant when finding out which spacer to use. You use the shock length, stroke and current aircan as Loco says. Did the shock come with the bike and if so what bike is it? Will be able to work out what you can use from there. Also, is there a spacer already in the shock?

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Cheers. Its a 2013 Transition Covert 29 (140mm travel). I’m not sure how to determine the specifics of the shock as it came with the bike, so i’m not sure the shock length or stroke (but sure I can measure it) or whatever setup it has come with.

I have sag set between 25 – 30% at riding weight but will use full travel when riding off a kerb.

Cheers.

LoCo
    Free Member

Start with second smallest spacer and see how you go.

daveh
    Free Member

Covert 29 is 7.875 x 2.25. Looking at the photos I’m going to say LV. That being the case then you can use any of the spacers. When you open it up you might find a spacer already in there, my Bandit 26 had a 0.8 so there was actually only one spacer bigger! Go one bigger than is in ATM, then one bigger again etc. I’m pretty sure it shouldn’t bottom off a curb though.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Thanks chaps. I’ve just looked at it and on the side of the air can is says that the velocity tune is L.

daveh
    Free Member

That’s the damping tune selected by the manufacturer, based on frame/shock ratio and how they want it setup. It’s a different thing to the air can/spring part.

daveh
    Free Member
    wobbliscott
    Free Member

Dave, thanks for your info above. I removed the air can and there was already a spacer present and it was the same spacer as the second largest one in the kit. I just installed that and will see how I get on. The next questions are now How much difference will I notice with the next size spacer up? And if it’s not enough what are my options? I assume the internal calving can be changed? Cheers.

daveh
    Free Member

Going from the 2nd largest spacer to the largest made a notable difference for me but if it’s not enough then yes you’re looking at a custom damping tune. When I set mine at 25% sag it didn’t bottom excessively but felt a little soft in the midstroke, yours doesn’t sound right!

wobbliscott
    Free Member

THanks Dave. I’ll give it a few rides to give it a chance, then give LoCo or Mojo a shout. On the body of the shock it has the following information: Boost Valve Tune 250, Velocity Tune L, Rebound Tune F. I’m assuming the velocity tune is LOW and rebound tune is FAST? Maybe a need a Medium or Slow velocity tune.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Fox CTD shock volume reducing kit’ is closed to new replies.