Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Fork Stantion Wear Question
  • carlos
    Free Member

Hi All,

Gutted. Got home from todays ride and after giving the bike a wash down noticed some wear on the stantions, forks are Rockshox Revs 150mm dual air, u-turn and have last been given a lower leg service early Aug, not been done since as I’ve been on the road bike so not clocking up the hrs/miles on the Mtb. Now I certainly didn’t notice this last time and I’m sure I would have done.

So are they **** or will new upper bushings and the nail varnish trick sort them out??

[IMG]http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b77/cupton/IMGP0843-1.jpg[/IMG]

Cheers

Dino
    Free Member

Bugger not just Fox Then!
    Just clean em up and use em till they die

carlos
    Free Member

No apparently not.

Anyone else??

bigyinn
    Free Member

First thing I’d do would be to replace the seals + foam rings and give the fork a right good flush out internally. You’re not going to make it any better, but you can stop it from getting any worse!

foxyrider
    Free Member

First thing I’d do would be to replace the seals + foam rings and give the fork a right good flush out internally. You’re not going to make it any better, but you can stop it from getting any worse!

+1

rob-jackson
    Free Member

carl – are you about to ride next sunday AM?

flow
    Free Member

Ahhh, the RS boys aren’t so smug now! 😆

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Tried warranty? SRAM are usually pretty good.

carlos
    Free Member

Done the flush through and intense seal/foam ring clean, I think Loco is away at the moment and he seems to be the cheapest for seals etc… but they are in the pipeline along with new bushings. Whats done is done but like you say trying to minimise it is all I can do.

Is replacing the bushings a DIY job??

Rob – Can be. Mail me where and what time.

Don’t remember being smug Flow, when was that?? I don’t like being catagorised either thanks. 😉

bigyinn
    Free Member

I think flow was suggesting that normally when someone post the same thing up for a Fox fork, everyone says buy RS as they don’t have this issue.
    Not a dig at you carlos.

lipseal
    Free Member

Try this guy, he stocks the enduro wiper seals.
    http://j-techsuspension.co.uk/pages/products.php

richmtb

Serious question: How badly does that sort of wear impact the performance of the fork? I mean I know it doesn’t look great and means selling them on will be difficult if you want to change them but does it really effect the ride quality of the fork?

stumpy01

richmtb – Member
    Serious question: How badly does that sort of wear impact the performance of the fork? I mean I know it doesn’t look great and means selling them on will be difficult if you want to change them but does it really effect the ride quality of the fork?

mate of mine has revelations with a similar pattern of stanchion wear. His are coil u-turns from about 2008. Doesn’t seem to affect the performance of them at all. There are nor sharp edges to the wear, he’s done nothing to ‘fix’ the wear (nail varnish fix etc.) and they don’t seem to be getting any worse.

letmetalktomark

Just run them at 120mm – what the eye doesn’t see ….

On a side note (& possibly more serious) can others confirm similar:

stumpy01 – Member

mate of mine has revelations with a similar pattern of stanchion wear. His are coil u-turns from about 2008. Doesn’t seem to affect the performance of them at all. There are nor sharp edges to the wear, he’s done nothing to ‘fix’ the wear (nail varnish fix etc.) and they don’t seem to be getting any worse.

Trimix
    Free Member

I cant see how it will affect them, sure tiny amounts of dirt may get past the seal – this would mean you may want to service it more often. But unless the oil is peeing out or there is slop in the whole thing I cant imagine it making any difference.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Usually it will mean some increased seal weal as the wear patch will be slightly rougher, so oil will escape / crud will enter more easily.

jonba
    Free Member

I also question how much it will effect them. Assuming that the internals are all ok and you haven’t had the same damage done to the bushings then I guess it would be fine. If the damage was done by dirt in the seals then the bushes may be fine. Is the tolerance on the bushings and seals that tight that it would make a difference? I would have thought not.

Anyway mine are showing similar damage but to a lesser extent after three years. First noticed it this spring when I did a proper post winter service. They’ve been fine for the rest of the year and it’s not noticeable when riding. My fox forks are fine riding in pretty much the same places.

flow
    Free Member

I think flow was suggesting that normally when someone post the same thing up for a Fox fork, everyone says buy RS as they don’t have this issue.
    Not a dig at you carlos.

Correct

RustyMac

Although Loco’s site says the workshop is currently closed, i think he is arround just now so the shop sides of the site may still be going, you could try calling to see if the parts are available.

carlos
    Free Member

Not a dig at you carlos.
    Correct

Ah, apologies. Just how it read to me.

Going to get new seals and upper bushings done along wit the nail varnish trick. In the mean time I’ll start putting a few quid away ready for a new set some time.

LoCo
    Free Member

Hi back from France now, still ‘on holiday’ for this week but will be in the workshop most of tomorrow fiddling with my motorbikes 😀
    So will be answering the phone and starting to work through emails that have arrived over the last few days

carlos
    Free Member

Hi back from France now, still ‘on holiday’ for this week but will be in the workshop most of tomorrow fiddling with my motorbikes
    So will be answering the phone and starting to work through emails that have arrived over the last few days

Cool, I’ll try you on the phone tomorrow.

robido

just get them chromed works a treat

scottalej
    Free Member

I bought some Pikes with very bad stanchion wear just above the seals off ebay very cheaply a few years ago and they are still working perfectly. They don’t even leak when they’re turned upside down. The only servicing I do more frequently is changing out the lower fork oil as water finds its way in past the seal more easily.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Fork Stantion Wear Question’ is closed to new replies.