Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • Forget your Solarstorm X2's…
  • mboy
    Free Member

After a BIG wait (like 5 weeks or so), this finally arrived today…

And a token beamshot…

Sorry that it looks a bit crap, very basic camera with limited functions on it, I compared it to my Exposure Toro though and whilst the Toro has a marginally better throw, the Yinding has a much broader beam pattern, and no hot spots at all (take note Solarstorm and single XML owners!) and as such, makes a much better light for offroad use. Claimed lumen output is 1200, a modest claim for a Chinese light, and I’d say that’s probably quite modest if the Toro delivers the 975 Lumens it claims to (MK3 version). It’s kinda like a budget Trout Lumen Liberator in terms of light pattern, though not quite as broad a beam pattern but definitely a smooth, halo free output.

No info on the battery yet (I’m hoping it’s better than the X2’s, but I’m being realistic) other than it works… Will update more when I’ve had a chance to put it through its paces.

jools182
    Free Member

How much was it?

richpips
    Free Member

They’re about $50 shipped via Fasttech.

mboy
    Free Member
    cruzcampo
    Free Member

looks like a glow worm copy

mboy
    Free Member

looks like a glow worm copy

It looks similar to the Gloworm I’ll grant you, but it’s almost identical to this…

It doesn’t have the programmable driver of the Gemini, but otherwise (grooves in the fins on the top aside) the head unit is pretty much identical!

pussywillow
    Free Member

Looks shite and dull tbh and my solar x2 is 5000 lumens and over 4 times brighter 😀

benp1

Theres quite a big thread on this light on the mtbr forum, seems well received

grum
    Free Member

‘oooh look at me my new light is better than yours’

christof
    Free Member

So where can you get these from? Link please!

Gribs

A solar x2 actually has a pretty good beam pattern. It’s certainly a lot better than last years Chinese light and better than a mates Hope vision 4.

nickdavies
    Free Member

christof:

http://www.fasttech.com/categories/1603/bike-lights

Item 1 on page.

Mboy, don’t suppose you know if that connector is the same as the standard magicshine jobby? Looks like it should be, i’d punt it if it was been looking for a 2nd light but i’ve got a UK charger for my magicshine.

mboy
    Free Member

Looks shite and dull tbh and my solar x2 is 5000 lumens and over 4 times brighter

No light thread on this forum is complete without you trolling it these days it would seem! I feel accepted… 😉

Theres quite a big thread on this light on the mtbr forum, seems well received

I know, when I found the light originally (and ordered it on a whim) I then found the MTBR thread, and posted on it. Have been keeping up with it impatiently whilst everyone else got theirs delivered, and mine had a massive hold up! Still, it’s here now.

A solar x2 actually has a pretty good beam pattern. It’s certainly a lot better than last years Chinese light and better than a mates Hope vision 4.

Yeah, but this really is a league or two above honestly, just in terms of beam pattern. I’m convinced it’s the use of good optics, rather than reflectors, that make a good offroad light beam pattern (based on my ownership of Trout and Exposure lights, and having used Gloworm and Gemini’s too).

Mboy, don’t suppose you know if that connector is the same as the standard magicshine jobby? Looks like it should be, i’d punt it if it was been looking for a 2nd light but i’ve got a UK charger for my magicshine.

Seems to be yeah. Think anyone bringing out a cheap light now would be handicapping themselves significantly by using anything else to be honest!

MarkLG
    Free Member

Nice looking light – I came across on them on the lightmalls website the other day. A neater design than the Solarstorm, but I’d be surprised if there was any real difference in light output, since they use the same LEDs, and the reflectors and lenses are probably from the same source.
    Have you done a side by side comparison? My X2 gives a very even spread, and doesn’t have any hotspots.
    I see the X2 is now available with the newer XM-L2 LEDs. 😉

cruzcampo
    Free Member

The x2 beam spread is super wide, I’d love to see this side by side too.

theblackmount
    Free Member

£30 for a light with the same guts and de-rigeur iffy battery / charger as the Solarstorm?

You’re not selling it to me 😉

Unless it’s available as a head only unit for £15?

bigyinn
    Free Member

£32.18 on DX.com
    HERE

Tempting….

mboy
    Free Member

A neater design than the Solarstorm, but I’d be surprised if there was any real difference in light output, since they use the same LEDs, and the reflectors and lenses are probably from the same source.

I already stated above, this one uses proper optics like the Gemini Duo, Gloworm X2, Exposure and Troutie lights. In that respect it’s quite different to the Solarstorm. Granted, the XML-U2 emitters mean the total output is likely to be pretty much, if not exactly the same, but this should be a better beam pattern for offroad riding.

Have you done a side by side comparison? My X2 gives a very even spread, and doesn’t have any hotspots.

I’ve not played with the Solarstorm yet (though will be doing a direct comparison soon with z1ppy from this forum), but had heard it’s still spottier than the likes of the Gloworm and Gemini lights. Will soon be able to tell you!

£30 for a light with the same guts and de-rigeur iffy battery / charger as the Solarstorm?
    You’re not selling it to me
    Unless it’s available as a head only unit for £15?

Can’t verify the battery capacity or quality yet (though MTBR forums suggest that other customers are getting 2hr+ run times on high, suggesting the battery is at least clots to, if not actually the 4400mah it claims to be. I’m realistic though, if it’s as bad as the Solarstorm batteries then I won’t be upset. Charger doesn’t get hot at least. Somebody on MTBR enquirer about buying head units only, and got told even in bulk they’d be $40 each, so might as well just take the original battery and charger for the extra $10.

Besides, I’m not trying to sell it to you

Spoke to Smudge over Facebook last night to see if he was interested in having a look at it and testing it, he said he would be. So I’ll send it to him in the near future to have a look at and see what he says.

kamenev
    Free Member

Five weeks was a long wait. I though Fasttech were quite quick relative to their competitors.

I ordered one of these at the weekend after reading the thread on MTBR. How long does Fasttech tend to take to dispatch orders. Mine is saying “in progress”. In contrast a recent order with Lightmalls dispatched within a day or two.

What are recent experiences of dx, lightmalls, fasttech etc been for people?

grum
    Free Member

So your comparison is based on precisely bugger all. 🙄

Sorry that it looks a bit crap, very basic camera with limited functions on it, I compared it to my Exposure Toro though and whilst the Toro has a marginally better throw, the Yinding has a much broader beam pattern, and no hot spots at all (take note Solarstorm and single XML owners!) and as such, makes a much better light for offroad use.

Yeah, but this really is a league or two above honestly, just in terms of beam pattern.

I’ve not played with the Solarstorm yet (though will be doing a direct comparison soon with z1ppy from this forum), but had heard it’s still spottier than the likes of the Gloworm and Gemini lights.

No doubt when you get the X2 you’ll still say the same – seeing as you’ve made your mind up already without any evidence. There’s no hot spots and a very nice spread of light on the one I’ve got – certainly miles better than the single XML ‘bastid’ I have.

What are recent experiences of dx, lightmalls, fasttech etc been for people?

Avoid lightmalls IMO. I waited over a month for a light from them which eventually got sent back. Haven’t been refunded yet. And if you google them some dodgy stuff comes up – they seem to be selling fakes of some of these lights.

neninja
    Free Member

Looks like a Gemini Duo clone – the Duo tested at 1091 lumens on MTBR. I’d be surprised if this had as efficient electronics so my guess is it’ll be around 1000 lumens.

I have ordered a Solarstorm and Yinding and will do a set of comparison beam shots using the MTBR camera settings plus a basic ceiling lux test for each plus if I have time I will also complete a beam pattern lux graph to show the spread of light.

I’d be interested to see how they all compare.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Could someone link to the MTBR thread please?

z1ppy
    nickdavies
    Free Member

I’ve ordered one from Fasttech as per my link above, 10-14 days so it says so will wait and see. Ordered a couple of other bits also – not quite sure how they knock out a £2 light, or a 50p lightning cable including worldwide shipping but hey ho.

mbl1
    Free Member

It looks like this, which I just received.

Fandyfire D99

I am yet to ride with it, but it is significantly brighter than the Hope 2 I have been using.

I guess there are benefits in buying through Amazon as their refund policy is pretty good.

stumpy01

Tempted to get one of these…

Been using a Spokeshirts light on my helmet (Bastid MkII?) on my helmet and it’s been really good. But, it does stick up a long way once mounted and is quite heavy.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

It looks like this, which I just received.

I saw those, looks very similar to smudges offering (different case, but similar looking switches, assembly and optics), even the charger looks identical (although smudges has UK pins), Smudges battery looks different (and is bigger).

There’s also a 5x XM-L2 model with a claimed 4000lumen, which seems reasnoble as most claim 800-1000 lumen per LED, unlike the 5000 solarstorm pull out of the air.

mbl1
    Free Member

I saw those, looks very similar to smudges offering

So it does. Mine even has the bright green rubber bands too.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Actualy, forget the 5x XM-L, theres a 7x, no longer will we be confined by the idea of having to see the trees to ride round them (aided by nimble 26″ wheels), now we just need 29ers to ride over the charred stumps left behind. Good to see some joined up thinking from the industry at last!

http://dx.com/p/fandyfire-f-l2-7-x-cree-xm-l2-t6-3-mode-4000lm-white-bikelight-headlamp-black-4-x-18650-254336

z1ppy

Stumpy: all of these are half the height of the Bastid (excluding clamp), and if you remove the silly clamp…. their all stupidly small (SSX2 being the largest and is aint…)

EDIT: YAY! We’ll soon have portable death rays, the way the amount of LED’s and output is going… :mrgreen:

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I don’t need one (already have a DX-bastid and a Smudge-lumenator, and assorted Q5 torches), but at those prices I’m tempted to get 2 for the bars. With SolarStorm levels of hyperbole that’s 2500×14 = 35000 lumen (or a more realisitic claimed 8k).

Seeing as they have similar lights with different claimed outputs, I wonder if there’ll be a 5600 (800*7) version soon, or even more? 4000 seems conservative unless they really have hit a wall with regards to cooling.

mboy
    Free Member

So your comparison is based on precisely bugger all.

😕

Lots of research, more time on MTBR light forum than is feasibly healthy, and knowing a couple of people with the light asking for their opinion… Not first hand (yet) but lots of anecdotal research. Opinions on the whole suggest that the Solarstorm is more focused than some. I prefer a broader spread of light (and I can’t stand the way the Solarstorm looks!). I found this one… Thought I’d share!

Wish I’d not bothered now… 🙄

Looks like a Gemini Duo clone – the Duo tested at 1091 lumens on MTBR. I’d be surprised if this had as efficient electronics so my guess is it’ll be around 1000 lumens.

I’d agree 100%. I’ve only had a brief play with a Gemini Duo, and sadly that was a few weeks ago. Head units look, and feel just about identical physically, though as you suggest, the innards will be different. It’s definitely a better spread of usable light than an Exposure Toro though.

I’d be interested to see how they all compare.

Indeed. I’d be very surprised if the Gloworm X2 and Genini Duo aren’t 20-30% brighter given that the new version of both use XML2-U2’s and higher tech circuitry, but for the price, I’m really rather impressed with the Yinding. Given how close it is (nigh on identical) physically to the Duo, I’d be interested to find out if you can swap the optics from flood to spot and vice versa too.

cruzcampo
    Free Member

mboy thanks for posting the thread always good to see what else is on the market RE alternative lights. I’d probably consider one of these if I could see if side by side on the same trail VS an SSx2.

Heres some SSX2’s on my local trail, fasttech versions, they really are super wide…

grum
    Free Member

Lots of research, more time on MTBR light forum than is feasibly healthy, and knowing a couple of people with the light asking for their opinion… Not first hand (yet) but lots of anecdotal research. Opinions on the whole suggest that the Solarstorm is more focused than some. I prefer a broader spread of light (and I can’t stand the way the Solarstorm looks!). I found this one… Thought I’d share!
    Wish I’d not bothered now…

Quite happy you posted the thread about the light – I just don’t think people should try and sound authoritative and state their opinions as fact when making comparisons between things they haven’t even used.

:shrug:

FWIW from testing my X2 and looking at the beam shots above the X2 is at least as wide a beam and not spotty at all. I haven’t really heavily invested emotionally in my £14 light being the bestest evar so I don’t really care if it isn’t.

GrahamS

Given how close it is (nigh on identical) physically to the Duo, I’d be interested to find out if you can swap the optics from flood to spot and vice versa too.

Might be worth trying the Gloworm optics in it.
    Danny has them for £7.50 a piece. Spot or flood available.
    http://www.crgmoto.co.uk/mountain-bike-lights-26-c.asp

neninja
    Free Member

Unless they’ve changed this clone from the Duo, I’m certain the Gloworm optics won’t fit. The Gloworm X2 uses larger optics than the Duo.

althepal

A question for those with the Fandyfire d99.. is it much cop? I had ordered the Op’s light from FastTech.com but although its still for sale on their website on checking my order I noticed its status was restocking. After checking with them they’ve admitted that its out of stock as they cant get the lights at the mo and are looking for new suppliers. They’ve advised they should have them in the next week so happy enough to wait for now but they did ask if I wanted to cancel or change my order…
    Is the Fandyfire d99 any good? The casing doesnt seem to look quite as good as the yindling light. Had ordered an x2 solarstorm and happy with the light’s performance but the quality of the casing on my light doesnt look as good as those that others posted on here.
    Can any owners of the d99 share their experiences please?

mboy
    Free Member

Did a fairly brief comparison of a Solarstorm X2 and my Yinding Gemini Duo Clone this evening with z1ppy off this forum. We tried a few beam shots, but none of them were coming out very well without an SLR and full manual control (neither of which were available), so you’ll have to take my word for it on the findings.

Firstly. The Solarstorm X2 is a better quality light unit than I had been led to believe (or at least this one was). I’ve heard some were quite spotty, but this one has quite a good flood. There is definitely a slightly brighter centre spot, but it’s not overpowering and the rest of the beam is still very bright. Throw is very good.

The Yinding by comparison is floodier, has a smoother beam pattern (not even a hint of a hotspot), but has probably slightly less throw. At a guess, both are throwing out around 1200 Lumens on full beam (based on comparison with my 975 Lumen Exposure Toro).

The looks are of course up to the eye of the beholder, I personally am not a fan of the Solarstorm shape and like the Yinding/Gemini Duo shape. When it comes to size, the Yinding light unit is 60g whereas the Solarstorm is around 100g, the Yinding is physically quite a bit smaller.

If anyone has any ideas on narrower beam optics that will fit the Yinding/Gemini Duo, then please let me know, as I’d be keen to try them.

z1ppy

Have to agree with what Mboy says above, and add that the Xinding is a lovely looking bit of kit, a lot better finished (‘polished’) than the SSX2. The size of the unit is amazing, especially when consider the SSX2 is really not a big unit by any means. Beams wise, I can only repeat what’s above, them being quite similar but again a more ‘even’ flood of light though out the beam from the Xinding, and a slight hot spot from the SSX2.
    I was a big single XML fan, and Northwinds complaint about it spottiness did annoy me, but by end of last year I moved to a Lupine Wilma (given to me, as it has full beam issues) as the spread was so much more even & less tiring to use (a surprising factor). I’d say the single XML is very powerful light for the money, a good helmet spot light to compliment another (non-single) bar light, but don’t see much point in buying them anymore when the these dual XML are so much better and cost so little more.
    Taking that lesson forward, I would say is that the even flood of Xinding, makes me think its the slightly better unit

That said, comparing them hasn’t suddenly made me want to dump by SSX2 and go buy a Xinding, but I only saw the Xinding for sale after ordering a SSX2, and do regret not seeing it first. The Xinding is a really well finished looking bit of kit, and amazingly small. I’d suggest it’s nearer the finish of a big brand unit and look forward to seeing how it performs in proper off-road use (heat dissipation wise) and it’s long term reliability.

My little Panasonic TX65 couldn’t produce a decent beam shot from either of the lights, especially when compared to what others have posted previously. Very annoyed by this, so just some photos of the units, for size comparison. To start the SSX2 next to a old single XML

Solarstorm X2 by z1ppy2, on Flickr

Yinding and Solarstorm X2, though it’s not obvious the Xind is noticably smaller (electron mount, now transfered from the single XML, before anyone asks)

P1020173 by z1ppy2, on Flickr
    Better comparision, I’d suggest the xinding is at least a 1/3 smaller

P1020174 by z1ppy2, on Flickr

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

fandyfire? how do they come up with these names? 😕

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Forget your Solarstorm X2's…’ is closed to new replies.