Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Forests Of The Midlands…meh
  • franki
    Free Member

Looked forward to the route guide in the latest mag, as it covers my home territory of Cannock & The Wyre (and I used to ride Clent & The Lickeys pretty much weekly until I moved a bit further away…) and was interested to see what routes were included, but I’m afraid it came across as a bit of a cop out.
    I appreciate that plotting a followable (and especially legal) route is very difficult in the chosen forests, but there was nothing really to the article tbh.
    Other mags have printed routes for Cannock and Clent before and although not particularly exciting in themselves, they gave good starting loops to expand upon and explore without getting totally lost, especially for riders new to the area, who perhaps prefer not to seek out local guides.

I think with the format the article took, it might have been better as a look at local riders and the local riding scene rather than being toted as a route guide. (A bit like that Wyre Forest article that appeared in Singletrack many years ago…)

singlespeedstu

I’m glad they didn’t try and publish any routes for round here.

Last thing I want is half the nobbers off here on my local trails. 😉

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Could be worse, I just bought a book on surfing localy. Half the pics are captioned “secret spot, locals only”.

The Swinley article in STW was even more anoying, fine encourage people to ask the locals to show them round, but whats the point of an article about it (the photos were of pretty boring, uninspiring bits of trail too).

scruff
    Free Member

To be fair I know that you know the people that have taken MBR etc around the Chase and the routes were just made up in the pub afterwards, theres no way one can be followed on the ground unless its a really dull legal route.

Plus, last thing I want is half the nobbers off here on my local trails. 👿

sofaking
    Free Member

Last thing I want is half the nobbers off here on my local trails.

you have such a delicate way of getting your point across Stu 😀

singlespeedstu

No point in beating about the bush.

Of course if you’re not a nobber I’ll gladly show you round. 🙂

sofaking
    Free Member

😀

franki
    Free Member

Yeah, I know all that, guys! 🙄

I learned years ago from the horse’s mouth why local stealth trails should be kept quiet and as many are of dubious legality, obviously they wouldn’t be published in the mag.

Cannock especially could do with less riders on the trails rather than more as far as I’m concerned. At least most of them stick to the Dog / Monkey now and don’t clutter up and wreck the hidden stuff quite as much.
    I know my way round Cannock and the Wyre well and used to ride over Clent with Si Paton and my bro. when we all used to race xc together back in the good old days. From the point of view of a newb though, I see little value in the feature.
    Just seemed a waste of a route guide to say basically: “here are some forests with some good riding, if you can find it” and draw a circle round them on the O.S. map.

almightydutch
    Free Member

Furry muff, keep the nobbers ot the FTD and Monkey and leave the good bits for us who dare to venture elsewhere

BigJohn

Scruff aint Stu. St’s Stu. Scruff’s Al.

tazzymtb

Furry muff, keep the nobbers on the FTD and Monkey and leave the good bits for us who dare to venture elsewhere

let’s just make sure those who venture off the beaten track can manage a few tight corners and narrow gaps through trees or else it’s badger time 😀

oh and What Stu said plus a gazillion and one

singlespeedstu

BTW I was refering to my trails which are no where near Cannock. 🙂

rOcKeTdOg

Everyone go to Cannock its awesome there, the NW Alps on the other hand are rubbish, you wouldn’t like it

tazzymtb

Stu, it’s easy to tell that your not from near cannock as you have the correct number of fingers and toes, they’re not webbed and you don’t have carnal relations with your bearded cousins (and that’s just the cannock ladies)

camerone
    Free Member

[*]Singlespeedstu – was it you I saw in the wyre last Saturday on a Jones and with a dog?

pop-larkin
    Free Member

What is the test for a nobber??
    Is it a case of if I have to ask I am one 😳

tazzymtb

sorry Pop, you can’t be a nobber as you don’t take yourself seriously and you own and actually ride silly bikes. This automatically makes you decent human being. Selling that last training wheel skill compensator will make you godlike 😀

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Titanium godlike maker is arriving via courier on monday- whoop whoop 😛

singlespeedstu

camerone.

Ti diamond frame, truss fork and fast spaniel?

tazzymtb

titanium spazmoid forks are being collected on tuesday, so you can have my manipoo’s and wheels for your now toy. Just need my gimpy bars from Biff to complete my Bones singlespeed project

mboy
    Free Member

[*]Singlespeedstu – was it you I saw in the wyre last Saturday on a Jones and with a dog?

All heresay and rumours, right Stu?

Speaking of which, Sunday before last, could’ve sworn you’ve got a twin brother Stu, that was taking photos of plants and small animals on the side of one of the trails. Nearly got killed by us as we rounded a corner at great speed! If he’s not your twin, and you haven’t suddenly gone all David Attenborough on us, you’ve got a local doppelganger! 😯

singlespeedstu

*Polishes tazzys stiff frontage for him*

NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

They didnt mention the new permits needed to ride Lickey/Clent…

almightydutch
    Free Member

SS Stu….i dont think there is a place on Cannock Chase that isnt nowhere near Cannock.

Tazzym release the badgers…….I rode over a fern the other day and snapped it at the base of the stem. I do apologise and I went back up there later with a bandage and splint for the poor thing

tazzymtb

that’s alright my little clogg wearing hollandish poppett, mother nature forgives you

I gave a Fearn a good going over the other day ruined the base of my stem

Houns

Yes the new Clent/Lickey permits double up as lift passes – They only run May to early September (up to the mid slopes only)

singlespeedstu

I’m not talking about Cannock though.
    I’m talking about my trails. 😆

Which I’m just about to head out on. Without the aid of a route guide from a mag. 😉

NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

Houns – work on the new Gondola is coming on and should be finished by the first snowfall of the season.

Houns

I heard they had to specially adapt the engines on the Chinooks they are using to carry the materials up the Col to cope with the thin air at such altitude

NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

😀

daveells
    Free Member

**** me ,that’s twice in one weekend I’ve been mistaken for Stu.Anyone want to buy a Jones? 😉

tazzymtb

Daveells -do you have a fat front? and I’ll be in your area on tues to see stu in the evening so if you still have the kodiak I’ll come and snaffle that as well

Houns

No thanks, common as muck around here

camerone
    Free Member

Singlespeedstu, that’s the one.

singlespeedstu

camerone – Member

Singlespeedstu, that’s the one.

Wasn’t me then. 😆

I’d say it was Dave and his racing spaniel up there ^^^

Mantastic
    Free Member

Ss stu, is your spaniel brown? I may have past you in the wyre on Saturday, I was on a pugsley. Didn’t stop to say hi as was in full on iTunes mode (scooter, great to ride to) until I got some dirt in my eyes and had to stop then you passed me.

If it was you, hello

singlespeedstu

Do it was not me.

The attentionwhoringjonesriderwithaspaniel is Dave up there ^^^.

*Waves to Dave* 😉

nunuboogie
    Free Member

Is it still niche if you have a twin? 😉

singlespeedstu

nunu.

You got a fatbike sorted yet?

There’s a fatride going on over here on saturday.
    I’d best not invite Dave though as it might cause too much confusion as to who’s who. 😆

nunuboogie
    Free Member

Hi Stu, no far from it!
    lol bet Dave would love to join you!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Forests Of The Midlands…meh’ is closed to new replies.