Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Forest of Dean conditions this weekend (aka what tyres for)?
  • chiefgrooveguru

So this wet stuff is coming out of the sky again and I’m doing the Enduro 1 race this coming Sunday. What’s the ground/soil/mud like? Does it drain ok? Does it get sticky and claggy?

In short, can I leave my Bontrager XR4s on (big, fast, fairly knobbly) or should I dig out the narrower, draggier, stickier 42a/60a Swampthing pair and have a fight making them seat tubeless?

theredchili
    Free Member

down pour through the night and a little this afternoon, going out tomorrow night so will report back then

v666ern
    Free Member

Verderers last weds had 12″ deep puddles on last weds night…i know i jumped in lots of them

id air on the side of wet – try thefod for conditions

mboy
    Free Member

FoD mud is very loose, not at all sticky and doesn’t clog your tyres or your bike up.

Err on the side of speed and low rolling resistance if you’re racing, I’d not want to cart swamp things round just cos theres a few puddles and a bit of mud!

chiefgrooveguru

As far as I know the timed stages are mostly downhill, thus grip on the corners matters more than pedalling speed uphill.

theredchili
    Free Member

Went out for a night ride last night – roots are very greasy and slippery, standing water in places and typical muddy trails -hardly sup rising given the amount of rain we’ve had in the last 24 hours

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Forest of Dean conditions this weekend (aka what tyres for)?’ is closed to new replies.