Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • Ford S-Max or Mondeo – opinions and experiences
  • Phototim
    Free Member

Trying to decide on a large spacious car to buy for hauling bikes and skis around Switzerland. I’ve narrowed it down to an S-Max or a Mondeo (post ’08) but am also open to other options.

I have some questions from people with experience with either or both of these cars.

– When you put all the seats down in an s-max, does it only make a flat bed if the rear most seats are installed?
    – Can you store bikes upright (with wheels off) in the mondeo?
    – Is the s-max not having a spare wheel really an issue if I can european break down cover? I assume the mondeo has a spare wheel.
    – I’ve heard about the s-max having high speed rated tires which makes them very expensive. Are these tires only on certain rims? Is the Mondeo the same or are the tires cheaper? This is particularly important as I have to buy winter and summer tires.
    – How are they for tire wear? I read the s-max was not brilliant due to the weight, but its only 100kg more than the mondeo.
    – Any other major maintenance issues or things to look out for? Repairs here are very expensive so I want to avoid costly repairs as much as possible.

Any other helpful comments appreciated.

Cheers,

Tim

highclimber
    Free Member

I have a Mk3 Mondeo TDCi and it’s VERY spacious. I can get three bikes in the boot and 4 people (if carefully packed). I had a look at an SMax and wasnt convinced it was much bigger in capacity than the Mondeo (talking about useable space as I know the S max is taller internally).

as far as repairs go, I do all my own servicing and I have just replaced the suspension strut (weak point on earlier mondeos) and so far haven’t had anything major go wrong at 82k! but cars are as fickle as bikes!
    For tyres, I only ever put Part worn tyres on from a reputable source and they are at least half the price (155/60/r17 IIRC). I dont think you need to have the high speed tyres as we all can legally only drive up to 70mph in the UK!

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

When you put all the seats down in an s-max, does it only make a flat bed if the rear most seats are installed?
    Don’t know – I have 7 seats and you can’t remove them from the car, but it’s flat when they are all down

– Can you store bikes upright (with wheels off) in the mondeo?
    Don’t know – have the S-Max

– Is the s-max not having a spare wheel really an issue if I can european break down cover? I assume the mondeo has a spare wheel.
    It’s got a cigar lighter pump and a can of goo to get you going – obviously doesn’t help with a big holf or blowout

– I’ve heard about the s-max having high speed rated tires which makes them very expensive. Are these tires only on certain rims? Is the Mondeo the same or are the tires cheaper? This is particularly important as I have to buy winter and summer tires.
    Dunno, prob same as most tyres, pays yer money, takes yer choice

– How are they for tire wear? I read the s-max was not brilliant due to the weight, but its only 100kg more than the mondeo.
    Mines done 23k and the front’s are getting very close to needing to be replaced, rears are fine

– Any other major maintenance issues or things to look out for? Repairs here are very expensive so I want to avoid costly repairs as much as possible.
    Boot lock on S-Max has haad issues where it won’t open. Mine was replaced with a new unit (that doesn’t have the problem) under warranty. Other than that, it’s been faultless

clubber
    Free Member

I’ve had my 09 (eg latest model) Mondeo Zetec 2.0 diesel hatchback for a couple of years now and am very happy with it. The only thing I’d change is to get parking sensors – the shape of the front makes it tricky to judge how much space you have and the back isn’t great either.

– Haven’t tried to store bikes upright but I can easily fit two bikes, wheels, etc in the boot without folding seats/etc

– Mondeo has a spare wheel (space saver IIRC)

– Mondeo tyres cost me £120 each last time from etyres which was the best price I found other than proper bargin basement ones which I’ve had bad experiences with in the past. I don’t recall them being high speed rated specifically.

– Tyre wear is roughly what you’d expect for a big car with a big diesel engine at the front. Eg not great but in the two years I’ve had the car, I’ve only replaced the fronts (and a bit early because I hit a rock and ripped one of the tyres)

– Had no issues yet so can’t comment on maintenance costs.

Basically, I’d buy one again – for the money they’re comfortable, practical, reliable and I even quite like how it looks. Oh and it has loads of room inside so if you’re tall like me, it’s brilliant.

Phototim
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies so far, very useful.

I was under the impression that the rear 2 seats in the s-max could be removed completely?

Can you store bikes upright in the s-max? I assuming yes.

So lets say I can get 25k out of a set of tires (I’m assuming a bit more as I can alternate front and back each season). Thats about 2 years continuous use or 4 years for 2 sets. I’m expecting having to pay at least 1000chf (about 650 quid) for a set so 2000chf every 4 years. I used to pay about 50 quid for a tire for my focus in the uk 🙁

I think I’ll be looking at a car with between 60 and 100k on the clock. Any major issues when they approach these kind of miles?

And yes I am tall so leg room is a bonus!

rocketman
    Free Member

Mondeo hatch is enormous you don’t pack stuff you just throw it in. Plenty of room f&r for 6ft+ passengers you can have a party in the back. TD demolishes all hills/loads and gets you to your destination feeling relaxed and chilled whilst returning a solid 50mpg. Park it anywhere no-one gives it a second glance. Ace motah.

A neighbour has the estate and a boat he just hooks it up throws all the gear in the back and drives off.

clubber
    Free Member

My focus tyres recently cost £75 each…

To the leg room, my Mondeo is the first car I’ve ever had where going all the way back on the rails puts me too far from the pedals/wheel (admittedly only by one notch too far but still!)

Kryton57

Considered a Kuga? Not so capacious in the back but I get 40mpg with 2 bikes on the roof and there’s lots of hidden storage if you pack well, plus the benefit of 4wd via Haldex if it snows.

Just a thought.

clubber
    Free Member

Kugas are horrible IMO (sorry!). Mrs Clubber quite liked the look of them (much to my disgust) but having looked at them, they’re Focus sized inside, bigger outside and more expensive. I just can’t see the point other than for the looks if you like them.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

You don’t have to buy tYres with the recommended speed rating, you can go for a lower speed rating, especially if you never intend to drive mega quick.

Phototim
    Free Member

Apologies for my incorrect spelling of tYre, I’ve spent too much time in other countries and have too bad a memory to remember what the correct spelling is 😳

I did consider a kuga but it is just not big enough. I need something that can take 3 people and 3 bikes inside, 4 people and 4 skis/snowboards inside. A day of downhilling results in a lot of gear so I need bags of space. We have Touran’s at work which are good for bikes as you can stack them upright, hence the s-max as a more cost effective (and some might argue, better) equivalent. I previously wanted a 4×4 (quattro or subaru etc.) but the few times you actually need 4×4 here, even in snow, do not make up for the added cost, complexity and lack of fuel efficiency. Everyone has to run snow tYres in winter which is of greater importance, plus I don’t live in the mountains.

clubber
    Free Member

If it’s any help I found the Mondeo pretty sure footed last time we had proper snow/ice.

Scamper
    Free Member

Currently got a high mileage mark 3 mondeo hatchback but looking at a new mondeo or S Max. The S Max is more expensive, has less kit, uses more fuel and i get taxed more as a company car. Yes its capacity is large with all the seats folded completely flat, but my current Mondeo is huge (can get the bike in easily enough with the back seats down) so don’t see much point in going for the latest Mondeo estate, let alone a S Max, which i’d not be surprised to find the boot is no bigger than a Mondeo without the second row of seats folded.

If i recall the SMAX brochure has a pic of a bike standing upright with its front wheel off?

HeatherBash
    Free Member

SMax tyres are not ‘high speed rated’they are reinforced. Because the car can carry 7 passengers…

I’ve owned an Smax and whilst it handles very well its still a big old brute (based on the Galaxy platform)So, not quite the Drivers people carrier that folk like to tout it as. Aircon and trim have their foibles but so does any car.

The Mondeo has a very good chassis by any standards and it’s huge but it doesn’t have the same volume and people carrying potential.

That’s what it boils down to – do you need to chuck fully assembled bikes inside and do you need to carry > 5 people?

DezB
    Free Member

Can you store bikes upright (with wheels off) in the mondeo?

I’ll give this a try later and take a piccy

nedrapier

Can you store bikes upright (with wheels off) in the mondeo?

With front wheels and saddles off, bars turned to the side, 2 fit in side by side with the small side seat back down, 3 side by side with the larger side folded down.

Interested in the responses here, I’ve got a Mk3 at the moment, and being offered a good deal on a significantly newer S-Max, but I’m not sure what the extra space will really give us.

Phototim
    Free Member

That’ll be good, thanks DezB.

I don’t need to be able to carry more than 5 people (although occasionally it might be handy). Its more about the height and being able to stack bikes upright rather than lay them down.

The seats folding completely flat in the back would be good for the occasional night of car camping at world cups too. Do the Mondeo’s seats fold completely flat? My focus was annoying in that the back rests split, but the seat base didn’t, which was fairly useless if you had to split the seats.

snakebite
    Free Member

Traded my mondeo for an S-Max last year, much more room internally, better for lobbing all the camping and biking gear in for our trips with two boys. Tyres were noticeably more expensive and you will need breakdown cover etc, no spare tyre room. back seats fold flat in the SMax so you end up with a level bed, infact you can put a double air bed on it perfectly….
    Performance wise when its fully loaded up with camping gear a roof box and 4 bikes on the back, it still does 45mpg on the motorway and can still clog it if necessary. It will never be an agile beast though.

DezB
    Free Member

Do the Mondeo’s seats fold completely flat?

I don’t think so – think they are the same as the Focus.
    Hang on, I’m going to go outside to check. 🙂

Yeah, scratch that, they do fold flat.

nedrapier

back seats fold flat in the [b]Mk 3 Mondeo[/b] so you end up with a level bed, infact you can put a double air bed on it with only 2″ squishing.

Edit: missed dezB’s – yes they do. Part of the reason I bought it. Certainly do in my Mk3, anyway.

And I’ve got the estate. Not sure If I said before.

igm

I’m on my second post-08 Mondeo. It’s the only car I’ve ever wanted a second one of.

It’s not posh or high performance – but it’s big, comfortable, good to drive, well made and reasonably cheap. Good tool for the job – if the job you want from it is hauling you and you kit around the joint (including 3 trips to the alps with bikes in my case).

Overall a sight better than the A3s and A4s my wife has had.

rkk01
    Free Member

Ran an S-Max for 4+ years. Very versatile if you’re into bikes, camping, have kids etc.

As posted above ^^, tyres are expensive because of their load rating and because they are run-flats (IIRC). Also, they are a slightly odd size by modern standards, so there were only a few manufacturers to shop around between. Choosing between deals normally got replacement tyres for around £120 per corner.

I’d avoid the Pirellis, they wear a bit quicker than the standard fit. Normally got between 20-30k from a set of fronts.

For the mileage you are looking at, check the discs. A new set of pads and discs will cost, and typically required at 70-75k.

DezB
    Free Member

Post up there edited 🙂

nedrapier

. Do the Mondeo’s seats fold completely flat? My focus was annoying in that the back rests split, but the seat base didn’t, which was fairly useless if you had to split the seats.

Same deal in the Mondeo. I was annoyed when I realised, but it’s never been an issue.

If you need people to sit on a part of the seat, the rear sections fold flat enough to store bikes in upright as I described above. If you want to sleep next to your bike, you won’t need the seat available, so you can flip the seat up and fold both sides flat. If you want to fit a double air mattress in there, you’ll be flipping the seat up and folding both backs.

lodious
    Free Member

I’ve had a series of Mondeos and now have an Smax. If I didn’t have 3 kids, i’d stick to Mondeos, the advantages are…

Cheaper
    Stereo sounds better 😉
    Cheaper to run
    easier to get bikes on the roof
    much smaller blind spot from the A pillars
    Arrangement for getting roofbars fitted is better on Mondeo…it’s horrible on the smax
    Stuff rolls out of the boot of the smax if the two rear seats are down
    Heated front screen works quicker on the Mondeo (smaller area to heat)
    Mondeo suffers less buffeting in high winds
    Mondeo drives better

The smax has a lot more space (more than I realised as the 2nd row of seats slide forward) With all seats down, it’s a flat area and it’s massive. The back two seats are not supposed to be removed (although they can be taken out with a torx wrench, i’ve not tried it, and it’s not a Ford approved mod (might affect insurance as no. of seats is on the registration document?))

My mondeos all had spare wheels, the smax does not (has can of goo). Dunno if new mondeos still have a spare.

Dispite all of the above, I like the SMax, but if you don’t need the space, I would choose a Mondeo (or something else). The space for 3 kids in the middle row of seats is great for them, and they really like it.

Dunno about tyres, all tyres are expensive these days, I don’t think the speed rating can be much higher than a Mondeo, they were rated at something stupid like 140mph. Run flats are on option…not standard fitment.

GTDave
    Free Member

Current Mondeo, Galaxy & S-Max all use the same EUCD platform, as do some Volvo’s and the new Range Rover Evoque.

I have an 08 plate 2.0 Tdci S-Max & really like it, it handles well considering it’s 1700 odd kg unladen kerb-weight, and returns an average mpg I calculated of approx 45mpg in mixed driving conditions.

The higher seating position is good for me as previous Focus, Mondeo & Passat estates have always left me walking away with ankle / hip aches after a long drive for some reason. This doesn’t.

It drives well, and swallows huge loads if you put all the rear seats flat (or take them out). Back of drivers seat to tailgate opening dimensions are probably similar to the Mondeo estate, so count on being able to carry similar gear. S-Max feels much wider, though not actually measured that to confirm.

For bike carrying duties, I put the one of two 3rd row seats flat, and one of the 2nd row seats flat. I can then fit in 2 adult bikes (sans front wheels and saddles) a kids bike, riding gear, dog (in cage), 2 adults and 2 kids. Works for us! Plus the odd occasions we’ve needed to utilise all 7 seats for people on a day out, it’s been great & much better than utilising 2 cars.

No faults at all since we’ve had it. Has 225/50R17-W98 tyres which can be a bit pricey, though I last shod it with 4 Barum Bravuris tyres for about £320 all in, and they have performed excellently! Set of 16″ steelies for winter rubber (tyres are much cheaper in 16″).

Phototim
    Free Member

So Dez says the seats fold flat but someone else says the seat base is the same as the focus, i.e. does not split? I found that a right pain in the arse as you don’t have as much height space as a result.

What engines are everyone talking about? 138 bhp TDCi is the most common which is probably what I would end up getting. Tempted by the 2.5 duratech but I think that would empty my pockets fairly quickly in running costs. More powerful TDCi engine seems to be 2010 onwards which would be out of budget.

clubber
    Free Member

my one definitely folds flat it has 60/40 split on both the seat and backs.

2.0 litre diesel @ 140bhp

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

. I dont think you need to have the high speed tyres as we all can legally only drive up to 70mph in the UK!

That’s very poor advice. Tyre ratings also include a load rating. If you don’t fit the minimum recommended by the car manufacturer then your car is technically illegal and your insurance can refuse to pay out in The event of an accident

DezB
    Free Member

Phototim – Member
    So Dez says the seats fold flat but someone else says the seat base is the same as the focus, i.e. does not split?

No, they were ‘both’ me! I was wrong about being same as the Focus.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

When we looked at an S-Max I was really disappointed at the amount of space with the seats down. The roof drops at the rear so the hatch isn’t as big as you’d expect. The seats are large and not removable (so you’re carrying them around even if you’re not using them). Folded flat there was a big, largely flat, load bay but didn’t think it was very high.

Great for carrying a family, or a group of adults, but I reckoned it was a less useful space than an estate for two people and kit.

jwh
    Free Member

I’ve got an 08 smax and the tyres are expensive due to the weight / 7 seats.

The rear 2 seats can come out – there are 4 bolts which leaves you with a very bumpy floor pan – but an extra 6′ in depth – handy for longer trips when you know you don’t need the xtra seats.

I’ve got the 2.2 tdi and a big right foot – so 35mpg is about all i manage.

smax on board computer – don’t trust the miles left in the tank, there quite heavy to push 🙁

nedrapier

Phototim:

Rear seats: seat backs split 60/40. seat base is one unit (in my mk3)

If you flip the seat base up and foward, both seat backs will fold completely flat with enough space for a double air bed.

If you leave the seat base where it is, the seat back sections fold flat enough to put bikes in upright, wheel and saddles off. I’m talking 120mm hardtails.

If you need people to sit on a part of the seat, the rear sections fold flat enough to store bikes in upright as I described above. If you want to sleep next to your bike, you won’t need the seat available, so you can flip the seat up and fold both sides flat. If you want to fit a double air mattress in there, you’ll be flipping the seat up and folding both backs.

nedrapier

maybe the seat base split varies with the spec? (mine’s an LX)

Phototim
    Free Member

maybe the seat base split varies with the spec? (mine’s an LX)

I think that must be it and where the confusion came from. I should look out for one with a split seat base.

Tyres don’t seem too pricey here though:
    http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop.pl

Same tyre type as that quoted above.

As many advantages and disadvantages to both at the moment.

Phototim
    Free Member

Sorry link does not go to my search result but tyres prices were from 75chf ish. I wouldn’t get the cheapest tyres but even if I spent 150chf each, thats not too bad.

mega
    Free Member

we’ve got an s-max and it’s a great practical car

The middle 3 seats all slide backwards and forwards, recline and fold away individually
    The two seats in the boot stay folded in ours most of the time

ao you could have middle 1 of 3 seats folded, a long item/bike in there and two people sitting either side

clubber
    Free Member

Mine’s an 09 Zetec – definitely has the split seats.

joeegg
    Free Member

Mines a MK3 TDCi.
    Replaced the front discs and pads at 60k,easy diy job and £55 for Mintex kit.
    Clutch ,DMF,can be costly but no more so than any other car with same type.
    No cam belt to change as its cam chain so saves a few quid.
    Tyres are less than £60 each at my local national tyres and slightly cheaper with event mobile fitting.
    The only niggly thing is the rear seats don’t split but apart from that really happy with it.

Phototim
    Free Member

So it looks like the cost of tyres is not too horrendous.

http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?details=Ordern&cart_id=2823456.126.14223&typ=R-170589&ranzahl=4&Breite=225&Quer=50&Felge=17&Speed=W&weiter=20&Ang_pro_Seite=10&Transport=P&dsco=126&sowigan=So

Reputable brand and only about 80 quid. Can someone please post the tyre specs (including speed/load rating) for their mondeo?

This is getting geeky

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Ford S-Max or Mondeo – opinions and experiences’ is closed to new replies.