Trying to decide on a large spacious car to buy for hauling bikes and skis around Switzerland. I've narrowed it down to an S-Max or a Mondeo (post '08) but am also open to other options.
I have some questions from people with experience with either or both of these cars.
- When you put all the seats down in an s-max, does it only make a flat bed if the rear most seats are installed?
- Can you store bikes upright (with wheels off) in the mondeo?
- Is the s-max not having a spare wheel really an issue if I can european break down cover? I assume the mondeo has a spare wheel.
- I've heard about the s-max having high speed rated tires which makes them very expensive. Are these tires only on certain rims? Is the Mondeo the same or are the tires cheaper? This is particularly important as I have to buy winter and summer tires.
- How are they for tire wear? I read the s-max was not brilliant due to the weight, but its only 100kg more than the mondeo.
- Any other major maintenance issues or things to look out for? Repairs here are very expensive so I want to avoid costly repairs as much as possible.
Any other helpful comments appreciated.