Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • for the lego fans out there…
  • Klunk
    Free Member
    rob2
    Free Member

I love lego me. I bought my 3yr old son a lego city tanker the other day. After a relaxing evening building it, went out and got a rubbish truck, a cement mixed and a racing car. Lush stuff.

Rob (aged 40)

Stoner
    Free Member
    atkinsar
    Free Member

Ah, my two passions combined in one forum, LEGO and bikes.

Here’s my LEGO room

LEGO Room Project by atkinsar, on Flickr

Next project is a bike shed.

Duffer
    Free Member

Here’s my LEGO room

😯

wow. I was about to comment that D Jr has “quite a bit of lego”, but now i’m not so sure…

avdave2

This is what I just got for my 48th Birthday.

rob2
    Free Member

cool. Atkinsar – like the space shuttle there in the top left. cool.

Torminalis
    Free Member

Here’s my LEGO room

I am genuinely and legitimately jealous. Wow.

My Brother who is about to start a degree in robotics has a lego mindstorms kit which is frankly awesome. We managed to build a rover and deploy software to it using RobotC, allowing the thing to cruise around the house and collect statistics on what colour everything is. I can’r wait until the kids are old enough to play lego. 🙂

atkinsar
    Free Member

This is what I just got for my 48th Birthday.

The Camper is a great set, one of my favourites.

lego mindstorms kit

Wait until you get a load of this

You know how bikes are a money pit, try collecting LEGO. Get into both and your wallet will never forgive you (and perhaps not your partner either).

mogrim

Here’s my LEGO room

Wow.

You… you… b*****d.

wwaswas

Here’s my LEGO room

It’s clearly not.

There’d be dimples on the ceiling and the walls would be multiple colours and have little lines all over them.

Torminalis
    Free Member

Wait until you get a load of this

So am I to understand that the EV3 is the updated version of the NXT controller?

EDIT: Just looked up the EV3 and it looks ace, has USB and runs linux. Sold, to the man in the squirrel t-shirt!

franksinatra

My Lad has his 4th birthday this week, about 80% of his presents were lego.

I’m picking him up from nursery at lunchtime today, sisters don’t finish school until 3pm. We have 2.5 hours of boy time building lego.

Whole bunch of awsum.

That lego room is so right, yet it feels so wrong! My instinct was to mock it but then I would happily fill a room up with bikes, so what is the difference! Well done!

atkinsar
    Free Member

To anyone with more than a passing interest in LEGO, or who has LEGO crazy kids, I can heartily recommend visiting The Great Western LEGO Show in Swindon in early October. You’ll basically see some of the finest LEGO builders in the country showing off their stuff.

It’s a very family friendly show and a great day out for adults and kids alike.

atkinsar
    Free Member

My instinct was to mock it

Plenty of people do, you should hear the stick I take at work. I always tell them it’s so geeky that it’s actually cool (doesn’t seem to work though).

I would happily fill a room up with bikes, so what is the difference!

Erm yeah, so would I, in fact, that’s my next project.

mogrim

Can’t remember who posted this originally, but it’s worth a repeat:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUtS52lqL5w[/video]

And that cuuso site is great – just one doubt: are they all models that have actually been made, or do they include computer 3D renderings?

StirlingCrispin

I need to pop through to a Lego concept store (there’s one in Glasgow) to check out the augmented reality.
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=PGu0N3eL2D0[/video]

I have a Mindstorms kit. Kinda got bogged down building the kits in the manual but I think the future is to do my own stuff – like a robot that takes a photo of the catflap every time something goes through it.

StirlingCrispin

And then there’s this – the Forth Bridge in Lego.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8497441.stm

atkinsar
    Free Member

are they all models that have actually been made, or do they include computer 3D renderings?

They include plenty of 3D renderings, it’s not a requirement that the models have actually been made.

So far there have been four sets green lit and produced by LEGO from Cuusoo:Shinkai Sub, Hayabusa satellite, Minecraft, Back to the Future.

A project needs 10,000 votes in order to get to the review stage, LEGO then run quarterly reviews and generally choose one model to turn into a product. It then goes through a lengthy product development stage and often ends looking quite different from the original submission.

The originator of the project gets a 1% cut of the profits on sets sold. A lot of the projects that get 10,000 votes are based around TV, film and videogames, it’s a common complaint of Cuusoo that the truly original ideas don’t tend to get enough support.

wrecker
    Free Member

It seems you can actually build this. The instructions are EU20, but I can’t find out how much the parts will cost?
    I’d actually like to give it a go if it’s not too pricey.

brakes
    Free Member

some modern Lego models look a bit to smooth to me. I prefer the old style blocky sharp corner versions that I had as a kid (and still have).
    my boy as some Lego but he just smashes it to bits as soon as you build something for him. he’s only 1 though.

brakes
    Free Member

VOTE WARNER!

clubber
    Free Member

For kids of the 70s like me, this site has been quite engrossing – some amazing builds:

http://www.neoclassicspace.com/

This is pretty incredible:
    http://www.neoclassicspace.com/registry/ll-998-%E2%80%93-sapphire-condor

mogrim

it’s a common complaint of Cuusoo that the truly original ideas don’t tend to get enough support.

Yeah, I can see that, a lot seem to be movie, video game or TV show tie-ins. Particularly SF themes…

But there are some great models, the Japanese castle is excellent, as is the Land Rover Stoner’s drooling over. But I am somehow left cold by the chance to “Recreate all the action and excitement of Launch Day” with an Apple store model 🙄

atkinsar
    Free Member

It seems you can actually build this. The instructions are EU20, but I can’t find out how much the parts will cost?

There are really only three places you can buy parts on the web:

Bricklink – shocking website but has the largest selection of parts from a large range of sellers. It’s not for the faint hearted though!
    BrickOwl – the new kid on the block, a much better website, but has fewer sellers and therefore fewer parts.
    LEGO Pick a Brick – direct from LEGO themselves, but the range of parts available is limited.

This project is due to be reviewed next, so I’d wait to see if it gets selected by LEGO as the next Cuusoo product first.

atkinsar
    Free Member

For kids of the 70s like me, this site has been quite engrossing – some amazing builds:

http://www.neoclassicspace.com/

You’ll be wanting this book then.

One of the main contributors to that book also has a model up for the next review on Cuusoo:

http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/6135

clubber
    Free Member

That looks great 🙂

Klunk
    Free Member
    Cougar

Drug boss Gustavo Fring (left) and police officer Mike Ehrmantraut (right) have been fashioned into figurines

Er, no.

Another well researched piece of journalism from the Daily Mail, there.

spacemonkey

cool. Atkinsar – like the space shuttle there in the top left. cool.

Is that a Jawa Sandcrawler beside it?

spacemonkey
    julianwilson
    Free Member

Small world: I lurk on and occasionally post on the lego forum that atkinsar is a moderator for. *waves* 😀

I would say that in the grand scheme of things, atkinsar is very much at the upper end of the fantastic collection spectrum: he is to lego (particularly the little sets in bags not boxes) what Stoner is to on-one bicycles and Hora is to frame-swaps. 😆

Klunk
    Free Member

early crimbo present ? discounted millennium falcon

spacemonkey

Nah, you want this one 😯

Travis

I’m sure this has been put up too.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feloymjEcGo[/video]

My lad has (almost 4) has just found my Technics Digger, and takes it to bed with him every night.
    It’s his birthday soon, can’t wait

Pigface
    Free Member

No love for Stickle Bricks 😥

Travis

I’d love Stickle Bricks for my two, but can’t get them where I am.

DezB
    Free Member

Seriously? A grown adult with a “Lego room”. My lord.

Lego record shop.

TerryWrist
    Free Member

Seriously? A grown adult with a “Lego room”.

tomhoward

Was in the Lego shop in meadowhall on Tuesday. They. Had. Everything! Death star, imperial crusier, vee dub camper, sopwith camel, all the cool ‘grown up’ lego! Took a lot of will power to keep my money in my wallet!

Stickle bricks, I have a totally irrational fear of them. Firstly, because when I was very young, we were made to watch a fire safety video, and it showed how quickly a box of stickle bricks turned to firey goo. Scared the living shit out of me.

Then guess what toys they had in my dentists (I HATE the dentist) when I was that age? Bloody stickle bricks. All I could think of was how bad the dentist could be, combined with the inferno that would insue in the stickle bricks box…

That’s all I have to say.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘for the lego fans out there…’ is closed to new replies.