Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Food from your childhood..
  • z1ppy

Reminiscing with my mum yesterday, she told us that her new partners children had never had banana and custard (hot or cold, yum) before they meet her, but my partner knows of this joy.
    Though both my partner and her partner find the idea of banana sandwiches just weird.

My partner is totally unconvinced that chocolate spread sandwiches are acceptable. I know Nutella is widely available now, but in my childhood, we only ever got it on french summer holidays (I jar between 3 boys didn’t last long).

Just us? Or did you have weirder?
    My mum also mentioned her mum used to give them apple and date sandwiches, I take it she didn’t enjoy then, as we weren’t inflicted with them….

andycs

My niece {28] was totally unaware that you could eat pork pie warm with mushy peas. She thought it was only eaten cold.

tomhoward

I have fond memories of Findus crispy pancakes, so thought I’d re-live those memories.

Memories are best just left as they are, they were ‘orrible!

binners

My 8 year old daughter would happily live exclusively on Nutella butties

I’d happily live on fish finger butties, with cheese singles and ketchup. Each to their own 😀

Oh, just remembered…..

I think I’ll leave that one as a childhood memory though

z1ppy

fish finger butties, what crap white sliced bread was invented for, splurge it with tomato sause mmmmMM, never thought to add cheese too

MrsToast
    Free Member

I used to have cheese on malt loaf, colleagues thought I was mental when I mentioned it. Oh, and butter on (dry) weetabix.

Might have to relive the Findus Crispy Pancake memories! 😀

binners

You’re missing a trick there z1ppy. I agree it has to be proper crap white bread, and then a couple of plastic cheese singles. Melts over the top of the fish fingers, then liberally cover in tommy k. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Bagstard
    Free Member

School dinners bacon clanger!(suet pastry with bacon and onion, like a swiss roll)Yum!

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Proper Monster Munch, thicky coated in that beefy flavouring. The new version is but a pale imitation.

Stoner
    Free Member

Sponge fingers in gooseberry fool

[img]http://i54.tinypic.com/2m4bwcy.jpg[/img]

And crisp sandwiches in front of the Wrestling on saturday evenings.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Chocolate concrete with mint custard.
    Bernard Mathews turkey drummers.
    Micro chips.

binners

I remember these…..

always had them after swimming on a saturday morning

ThePinkster

This used to be a favourite from my yoof

That and tinned peachs, or tinned fruit salad.

z1ppy

I used to love angel delight (later name, still made by Birds), even tried to make sandwiches out of it (it doesn’t work well)

Anyways we’re getting off topic, I’m more interested in your strange food mixes, than off the shelf stuff …

Though I really have never entertained the idea of a hot pork pie

binners

I remember my gran doing these with big chunky chips and mushy peas

Might revisit them actually. Hmmmmmm

Stoner
    Free Member

sliced tomato and kraft cheese slice sandwiches on cheap white bread with olive oil and black pepper. I was a mixed-up kid 😉

DrP

Who would disagree that sweet chilli sauce can be added to ANYTHING?!
    I mean, sweet, savoury, milkshakes – anything!!

DrP

woody2000

z1ppy

I’m pretty sure kraft cheese slices are the reason I don’t like cheese. Unless it’s melted (cheese, not a kraft slice[shudders]), which means it no longer cheese…. in my mind

Junkyard
    Free Member

I dread to think what the actual ingredients are

Red Kola
    Sugar Rolls
    Beef Ham

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Stoner
    Free Member

Oh yeah, Ice cream and cream soda mixed in a glass makes a foamy frothy drink.

jonney
    Free Member

Angel Delight on a friday night. Good Times 😀

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Vesta Curry. The exotic taste of the east..

yunki
    Free Member

Golden syrup sandwiches (sugar in hard times)

We were talking yesterday about the mega breakfasts that my Nan used to make on saturday, for those that were willing to get up early enough to cycle over to her place..

Lamb chops, bacon, sausages, fried potatoes, beans, eggs, fried toms, mushrooms and tea and toast.. all cooked in the same pan..
    My brother was a sucker for it every weekend, he was a fat kid 😀

oooh.. my mum tried making yoghurt during one particularly intense ‘Good Life’ moment.. disgusting

the smell of chicken feed and potato peelings bubbling away on the stove will stay with me forever too..

z1ppy

😀

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Mince in all it’s wonderous varieties…

Cottage Pie
    Bolognese
    Chilli
    Lasagne
    Homemade Burgers
    Pie
    Mince and onion
    Mince and carrots
    & just plain old mince in gravy.

mmmmmmhhh… mince

ThePinkster

Mrs Toast – Member
    I used to have cheese on malt loaf,

2nd that one – lovely. Got to be a good mature cheddar and have a light sprinkling of salt on as well though.

binners

You pair of freaks! 😉

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Flavouring sucked off, corn puff spat out.

And polony. Anyone remember sliced and fried polony or is it only me?

Nick

Nick

LoCo
    Free Member

Porridge with golden syrup, had a huge flash back type experience when had a mouthful of my daughters porridge the other morning when checking it wasn’t too hot. 😀

sweepy
    Free Member

Peanut butter and piccallilli sandwiches for school

atlaz
    Free Member

My school did two things I still occasionally wish I could eat:

1, Cheddar butteries – a suet/butter pastry thing mixed with cheese and baked. Greasy, fatty loveliness
    2, Some sort of caramel tart thing – sickly but delicious

Both of the above were limited in the number you could buy (until that point I’d happily have five of the first with beans and then 3 of the latter). So we used to bully third years into buying them for us until the dinner ladies cottoned on and just served us the amount we wanted.

IA

Ahhhhh cremola foam, loved it!

I got a craving for Macaroni Custard recently, which I hadn’t had since I was a kid. No one else had heard of it. I had to look it up to make sure I hadn’t just imagined it.

Sugar & cinnamon sandwiches were another favourite.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Chicken in a basket – Drunken Duck Inn, Outgate (before it became a gastro pub!)
    School oat tart and custard (even asked the cook for the recipe for my mum)
    Wrigglers, beef and onion crisps, strawberry bonbons, wine gums and gobstoppers from tuck shop
    Dehydrated meals for all the backpacking, climbing trips (and the smell of hexi ? fuel tablets on simple army stoves) including chefs square shaped soups that showed how a good soup should be!!!

boltonjon

Brilliant post

Brought back some good memories

lion bar

My father buying me a Lion Bar every Saturday morning when i helped him on the farm

tarquin
    Free Member

Fond memories of sausage roll chips and gravy for school lunches, £1.20, awesome.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Food from your childhood..’ is closed to new replies.