Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Folding shovel / spade
  • Stevet1
    Free Member

Can anyone recommend me a decent folding spade for trail maintenance work? Ideally with a larger and more robust head than the normal army surplus store ones?
    Been looking at this one but it’s hella expensive, are there any real decent alternatives?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gerber-E-Tool-Serrated-Edge-Shovel/dp/B001JQ5YJ6

willard

Loads of ones similar to the Gerber, but they are generally a bit rubbish and cheaply made. Milsurp are better, but all have the small shovel head bit.

I think the one I bought in the end was a Czech military one. It has a fixed wooden handle and a larger head than normal. It seems solid enough.

Stevet1
    Free Member

Loads of ones similar to the Gerber, but they are generally a bit rubbish and cheaply made.

Yep as above, not one of those, broke 2 already.

I think the one I bought in the end was a Czech military one. It has a fixed wooden handle and a larger head than normal.

Got a link? Does it fold down?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    scotroutes

My Dad used to have a really strong one and it turns out it was an ex-UK military issue. It doesn’t fold as such but the pick/shovel slides off the wooden handle. I’m actually in the process of trying to find one and the only option so far is ebay.

Like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WW1-Chillington-British-Entrenching-Tool-/191775687976

Much stronger than these cheap items but I’ve never used the Gerber one so can’t say how much better that is.

Stevet1
    Free Member

Interesting – thanks. Doesn’t look like it can be used as a shovel though.

kcal

Likewise my dad had some ex-surplus (I assume) entrenching tool. While not a pick capable thing, its a substantial beast, wooden shaft, folding shovel – nothing fancy, but good for the job. Weighs a ton though!

core

The general cheap ones you see are pretty crap, once you start using them the threaded part loosens and the head will fold over, the washer/plate they use between the head and the shaft aren’t big/thick enough.

I modified mine, added a bigger, thicker washer, then when screwed up tight drilled through the lot so I can put a bolt or pin through to stop the threaded part unwinding.

ninfan
    Free Member

Honestly, I think you are better off getting a couple of cheap contractors shovels and stashing them out of sight in the woods.

scotroutes

Probably the best solution is you are only working on one section of trail. I’m after something more portable for taking on longer journeys and doing minor trail repairs like clearing ditches etc

VanHalen

http://preparednessadvice.com/survival/why-you-should-have-a-military-entrenching-tool/#.Vo-VEvmLRpg

you want the west german one on this link. go see ebay or a good army surplus shop.

they weigh alot but thy are awesome

Stevet1
    Free Member

Honestly, I think you are better off getting a couple of cheap contractors shovels and stashing them out of sight in the woods.

Yeah I do that too, but they get nicked. No idea what kind of person goes looking for a carefully concealed shovel but they always go in a month or so. Might try digging a shallow pit and burying it in a bin bag. I’d then have to carry a slightly smaller shovel for digging it up. Unless I buried a succession of ever decreasing spades and just bring a spoon with me to dig up the first one.

wrecker
    Free Member

Google “entrenching tool”. The military ones were OK.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

No idea what kind of person goes looking for a carefully concealed shovel but they always go in a month or so

Someone else who builds trails 😉

We used to lock ours in a secure(ish) box that was dug into the ground.

Digby

I’ve got the Gerber one. It’s lasted well, convenient for small repairs and doesn’t weigh too much. I wouldn’t want anything lighter or flimsier though to be honest – be wary of cheap imitations!

kcal

Hm, the one in my garage is like this — (only a bit more rusted – too many trips of digging toilet pits in Hebrides..)

Stevet1
    Free Member

Thanks Digby, would you say you could using it for prolonged digging in the ground, or just for small jobs?

Someone else who builds trails

Then why do I never find them???

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Then why do I never find them???

😀 you’re not looking hard enough, or in the right place. For example, an empty holiday cottage might have a nice garden that’s worth checking….

VanHalen

for us on chalk if it doesnt have a pick it is pointless. I’d imagine it’d be the same where its rocky.

if i had nicy sandy/clay to work with like around crawley a non pick version would be OK. I’d also have massive dirt jumps as its a significantly easier material to build with.

MarinNo8
    Free Member

I know this isn’t a folding shovel but it is pretty compact, very sturdy and you could fasten to the outside of a pack fairly easily -http://m.screwfix.com/p/roughneck-round-point-micro-shovel-27-/53829?kpid=53829&cm_mmc=Google-_-Product%2520Listing%2520Ads-_-Sales%2520Tracking-_-sales%2520tracking%2520url&cm_mmc=Google-_-Shopping%2520-%2520Landscaping%2520and%2520Outdoor-_-Shopping%2520-%2520Landscaping%2520and%2520Outdoor&gclid=Cj0KEQiA2b20BRDj4buduIG-y9EBEiQAhgMGFbuyDracl9lkl43nb3-uUuLqPFPUfoGdaz2jJ-7L75EaAiCO8P8HAQ

G

Edit – apologies for the massive link!

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I have one of these.

http://www.patrolbase.co.uk/army-surplus/army-surplus-3-way-folding-shovel.htm#.Vo-j4nOnyv1

As has been said, military ones are built for actual use. I’ve previously had two ‘civilian market’ ones. Both bent is short order.

It’s OK to use, but would be better with a square edge on the shovel. The triangular handle can be a bit of a pain too, depending on how it’s being used. I also miss having a pick at times.

It’s not a patch on a full size spade.

Stevet1
    Free Member
    drlex
    Free Member

I think that Tamarack* one isn’t a folding one, though.
    I’ve had the roughneck that Marin linked to and it was fine as an occasional / emergency one. Not sure I’d want to use it for all day digging unless no alternative.

Stevet1
    Free Member

I think that Tamarack* one isn’t a folding one, though.

holy cow you’re right, somehow in my head I thought it folded at the end of the handle. My brain is not working today.

What I’d really like is a full size spade broken in two with a sleeve fitted to one end with female threading inside and a screw fitting on the end if the other part. They screw together and the sleeve provides support. Surely this can’t be too difficult?

Stevet1
    Free Member

Righto I’ve spent 15 minutes on this crappy ascii drawing so I’m going to submit it even if it is p1ss poor. I couldn’t figure a way to get the bottom of the sleeve in the diagram either so use your imagination there. I assume this is good enough to send to a factory in China and have 10,00 made to sell?

|\
    |..===========\\\
    |/

._______
    /…………..|……….________
    |…………..|=======///
    \_______|

Stevet1
    Free Member

Now we’re talking
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Chafon-Multifunctional-Shovel-Mercenaries-Multi-function-More-High-Carbon/dp/B00PJYD5ZY
    Over 30 functions of safety protection,bodyguards of outdoor activities and traveling.
    A shovel with you ,just as a loyal Tibetan Mastiff protecting you at your side.

Hmm.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

That actually looks really good

Digby

would you say you could using it for prolonged digging in the ground, or just for small jobs?

Small-ish jobs. Drainage, patching & repairs etc are fine – I wouldn’t want to be doing major earthworks with it as the ‘shovel’ doesn’t hold much and it’s fairly short in length so is pretty ‘back-breaking’ after a while.

Also – The Amazon link seems pricey – I bought mine for £50 [army surplus] 6 years ago. I’d be very surprised if they’d gone up in price that much …

project
    Free Member

Got one of these
    http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p89967 works well

and before that had one of these, now left in van

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p61959

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Folding shovel / spade’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts