Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • flying to Alicante from Heathrow with bikes
  • london_lady
    Free Member

Has anyone done this? I am looking to fly with BA to Madrid so the bikes will go on as checked baggage free of charge but the connecting flight to Alicante says that it is with Iberia – will I get charged 75euros for the bike on the connecting Iberia flight?

donsimon
    Free Member

Iberia and BA are the same company.

poolman
    Free Member

Hi LondonLady, sorry I can’t help with yr query but you could get the high speed train (AVE) to Valencia, or hire a car from Madrid & drive over. Last time I looked Ryanair were doing Madrid – Alc for 10e, about what the service is worth.

I have shipped bikes over to Spain separately, I live in Spain so can wait.

Where are you heading? I have done loads of biking between Benidorm & Denia (I use the local train alot to get to new places). It is hot & sunny at the moment so pack the sunlotion.

Anything else I can help with just ask, email in profile.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Skippy

There are lots of direct flights from Gatwick to Alicante as well, just in case that’s an option for you.

london_lady
    Free Member

I know Iberia and BA are the same company but the Iberia website still says that it charges 75 euros for transporting a bike as outsized luggage.

poolman – we were planning to go on a Pyractif cycling holiday based inland from Calpe.

aP
    Free Member

Train is E60 each way from Madrid to Alicante – takes 3hrs…
    don’t know about having bike bags though?

poolman
    Free Member

Thanks, I don’t know anything about their set up but I have done loads of walking & biking near Calpe. The train stops there so you have access to all areas along the coast.

If it were me I’d hire a car from Madrid so you have access to inland areas. Train is good but it only accesses the coast.

Any help needed just email & ask.

DougD

Poolman, what are the mtb routes like around there? Am over in Altea la Vella a few times a year and am planning on bringing the bike out next time. Also, are there any decent bike shops around that way? I know there was one in Altea but last time I was there (Oct) it had closed down.

poolman
    Free Member

Bike shop is in Calpe but I use the one in Javea as it is good, also 2 in Denia.

I cycled up along River Algar from Altea to Guadalest last week, 40-50km round trip. At Guadalest you can do a (rather steep) circuit of the lake. Beer in Albir was 1.6e a pint & that was a beachfront bar.

You are at the foot of Bernia in Altea but you can’t cycle up there, maybe a bit of the orbital circuit but I’d walk it.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘flying to Alicante from Heathrow with bikes’ is closed to new replies.