Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Flights to Australia with family – options
  • scuttler

I’ve been doing my homework on kayak.co.uk looking for some flights from Manchester to Sydney, returning Brisbane to Manchester in April, traveling with my Mrs and 6 and 4 year olds. We did it with Singapore Airlines when they were 0 and 2 and I’m well aware from other trips of Singapore’s world class service. On the other hand Emirates are the quickest and fly A380s’s all the way, and Etihad are the cheapest by a long shot (around £1000 cheaper for all of us) as they currently have a sale who’s restrictions we fit. I’m not interested in any of the Chinese airlines or Finnair over the top but are there any other considerations?

– Is an 8 + 8 + 8 (BNE-SIN-[same plane]-AUD-MAN) journey better than an 14 + 8 journey with kids of this age?
    – I’ve heard Abu Dhabi airport is a bit average and transfers can be shambolic. Any experience with this?
    – Does anyone know the likelihood of Singapore, Emirates or Qantas having a sale any time before or after xmas (travel around 6th April 2014)
    – Any general experiences with Etihad vs Emirates and their respective hubs with kids (I know Singapore is the best but had no issues with Emirates when I went with them to the far east).

Thanks

jambalaya
    Free Member

Abu Dhabi and Doha (Qatar) airports aren’t up to the standard of Dubai itself not my favourite but OK for Emirates to Emirates transfers.

For context I think Emirates are indeed an OK airline, Singapore superb as you say.

8+8+8 is going to test everyone’s patience. In my view 14+8 or 8+14 is better.

As for a “sale” are those dates in/around school holidays because if so I’d say no chance.

thegreatape
    Free Member

options

Separate planes

LHS
    Free Member

Etihad are good, much of a muchness with Emirates. From previous research you won’t get much cheaper than Etihad unless you go Finnair.

I think Virgin Airlines and Malaysian offer a route too, about the same price as Etihad.

As above for sales, April is usually none-existent.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Haven’t flown Singapore for a while, but been flying Emirates recently. From memory of Singapore, emirates are easily equivalent to Singapore, certainly in economy (assuming you’re travelling economy). If EK are cheaper I’d go with them. But then again I’d go cheapest most direct flight anyway, so sounds like Etihad would be my choice. The difference in service between these three airlines doesn’t make up for the price difference or the fact you’re stuck in a metal tube for a day.

scuttler

Thanks all. Regrettably separate planes isn’t an option and we don’t have staff.

NZCol

Just a word of caution, that 14h flight between Au and Dubai is a killer, its about 2 hours longer than any man, woman or child can tolerate. I’ll update you on Monday as I am doing it on Saturday/Sunday to London ! Agree Etihad and Emirates v similar. I’d go for best price and best times.

Lester
    Free Member

Why don’t you split the seating, get one business class so you can take turns away from the kids 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Separate cabins, then!

Edit – Beaten to it by Lester!

takisawa2

If you go with Emirates, the Dubai – Sydney leg is almost 15hrs.
    With kids of that age… 😐
    Dubai – Singapore – Sydney would be preferable.
    At least they can get off & stretch their legs/run amock for a bit.

corroded
    Free Member

I always fly Emirates from Aus to UK with as short a stopover in Dubai. Recently did the 14hr leg on an A380 it was fine. Have never flown with kids but you should take into account Emirates’ excellent entertainment system. if it was me I’d go for 14+8 on an A380.
    Apparently, when I was 4 my parents tried doping me for a flight to NZ. Had the reverse effect and I legged it across the runway at Bahrain when we stopped there.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I think Virgin Airlines and Malaysian offer a route too, about the same price as Etihad.

Virgin code share with Ethiad so it will be the same plane, also check who you are actually going to fly with as Qantas Codeshare with Emirates but by all accounts that is still on new A380’s so still very nice.

My only tip would be avoid a Manchester-> UK/Europe leg and make sure there is plenty of time in the middle.
    Personally found emirates fine/good but check for the flights where they want to make you sleep as that might be good or not for kids. When I go back I will be on Ethiad/Virgin mostly due to points/freebies.

Sydney tip is airport train by the way, same with Brisbane

scuttler

Potential Qantas flights are the Emirates codeshares but at times quite a bit cheaper than Emirates themselves.

Wozza
    Free Member

I’ve done Etihad twice to Melboure and it’s fine. Emirates is no better to be honest, Cathay through Hong Kong was horrible.

Abu Dhabi is geared up for first class tat, So unless you want a handbag made out of unicorn farts there’s sod all to do… but then the transfers are quick and they have free wifi, so it’s not the end of the world.

I’d go Etihad, they have a good points scheme and you’ll get a bunch of freebies for that many passengers.

scuttler

Brief update from the OP

I got fixed up with Etihad in the end with a little help from the forum’s experienced (major high st) flight/booking agent Vanilla83 aka Ben. He’s been very helpful, got us some extra decision time, and managed to save us well over 100 quid compared to the airlines own sale price.

Further proof that it’s a brilliant community we’ve got going here.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Brief update from the OP

I got fixed up with Etihad in the end with a little help from the forum’s experienced (major high st) flight/booking agent Vanilla83 aka Ben. He’s been very helpful, got us some extra decision time, and managed to save us well over 100 quid compared to the airlines own sale price.

Further proof that it’s a brilliant community we’ve got going here.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Flights to Australia with family – options’ is closed to new replies.