Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Flats choice – heavy rider/aggresive XC
  • mrdestructo

Wellgo B54 http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=5199

Wellgo M142 http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=52884

I need sealed flats against the Yorkshire mud and Wellgo are fine and reasonably priced at CRC. Thing is, I’m a heavy, sloppy rider that thinks XC takes in 4ft drops offroad and the only writeups on the M142 pedals I can find are for folding bikes, commuters and vertically challenged weight weenies.

Best guess here? Chance the light M142’s or stick with the heavyweights?

tracknicko
    Free Member

b-25’s for me. my longest lasting pedal (on for about 12 years!)

yorkshire mud, bolehills, dh in france, all sorts.

bit squeaky now, but all good.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=5196

fuzzhead
    Free Member

I can recommend the B54 🙂

scruff
    Free Member

B54’s are good, those others are for kids bikes.

weeksy

B54’s are superb.

debaser

I have been inelegantly banging a set of B54s into rocks for about a year now and they still seem quite happy, despite some gouges and a bent pin. The wet hasn’t bothered them at all and they’re still nice and smooth.

They’ve faired much better than the V8s that came before them anyway, lovely big grippy platform too.

Don’t like the look of those 142 things at all.

Rickos
    Free Member

Those 142’s look like shopping bike pedals, which is probably why you can only find reviews on them for that type of bike. You need a good wide platform for mountain bikes, which they certainly don’t have.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

You need a good wide platform for mountain bikes, which they certainly don’t have.

After spending Sunday in the Peaks I’d disagree with that, bigger might be better on open tracks, but my burgtechs were seriously pissing me off catching in the sides of every single rutt going up and down. Now looking for something more subtly shaped and smaller profile.

Anyone get an oppinion between DMR Vaults and Spank Spikes? The DMR’s a bigger patform, but I like that Spank have made their platform from solid bars rather than thin walled C shaped sections like most pedals which means they’ll last longer in rocks (I only went burgtech after completely oblitterating a set of V8’s on a rock).

ourmaninthenorth

aggressive XC

Current mag has a flat pedals review. No mention of “aggressive XC” though.

Rickos
    Free Member

tinas – did you click on that 142 link? Then you disagree with big platforms and then ask about Vaults? Those 142’s are small front to back.

Anyway, I run Vaults and they’re ace and quite thin. Very large platform – 115x115mm when most others are about 95x95mm. What are the Burgtecs? I have a super low BB, but don’t generally pedal over rocks and stuff so don’t strike too often. Riding in ruts is a pain, but that’s down to the BB height, not the pedals.

philconsequence
    Free Member

i liked the b54’s so much i bought a second set for the other bike.

honourablegeorge

thisisnotaspoon – Member

Anyone get an oppinion between DMR Vaults and Spank Spikes? The DMR’s a bigger patform, but I like that Spank have made their platform from solid bars rather than thin walled C shaped sections like most pedals which means they’ll last longer in rocks (I only went burgtech after completely oblitterating a set of V8’s on a rock).

Not tried the Spanks, but I have Vaults, Point One Podiums, Straitlines and Nanos, and I’d choose the Vault out of the four every time, they’re just “right” – the concave shape, they spin well, grip hugely. Best flats out there, IMO.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

tinas – did you click on that 142 link? Then you disagree with big platforms and then ask about Vaults? Those 142’s are small front to back.

Yes, sorry I meant relative to MTB flat pedals, i.e. I wouldn’t automaticaly say 115mx115mm was better than 95×95. the Burgtechs are huge, bigger than vaults (certainly more rectangular), and thick. Part of the problem is the rectngular shape means they seem to catch rather than slide arround/allong stuff.

Rickos
    Free Member

Vaults have nicely chamfered edges to help them glide along the ground and roots and that. I love mine. Burgtecs do look very square edged.

carlosg
    Free Member

Have a look at the Welgo B38’s too http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=5197

I’ve been running a pair on my DH bike for the last 2 years with no problems , the pins are sharp though . They stand up to Yorkshire grinding paste pretty well too.

professorfaceplant
    Free Member

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/azonic-x-pedals-7250/

these have been on my bike for 2 years now i’m 16st and ‘heavy rider’ cannot recommend them enough and have had V8’s and V12’s

they do rip your shins to shreds though 😆

sunnrider
    Free Member

I´ve been smashing my Spank Spikes off off rocky terrain for a few months now, they´ve held up really well.
    I killed a set of Wellgos in one summer and some crankbros (second-hand) lasted 2 weeks. I´m not heavy though.

mrdestructo

Alright, back now I’ve given you all a chance to discuss.

I’ll give the smaller, light pedals a miss then.

I also always wear at least my Fox wraparound shinguards. I’ve had them since I used to use V12’s and terrorpins for Street and are comfortable, keep my legs warm in shorts whilst not making me boil riding my form of XC.

@Tracknicko, I don’t like hexagonal shaped pedals. I have a size 12.5 narrow foot and to put it simply, I ‘need’ square pedals. Anything V8/V12/B-25 shape is not comfortable for me.

I’m currently using some 10 years old square DJ/Street pedals that were on an Identiti 666 I bought off a team rider. They don’t have any brand visible on them, are open bearing and I just decided to give them a clean/regrease after having them on the commuter for the last 9 years (only one bearing was marked, races still good) They are okay, but maybe a little small for my feet. The exact same distance out from the crank as the M142 actually, but that’s not where it matters, it’s the front to rear measurement that may trip me up, such as the M142 has. The pins are fixed and rounded and designed to allow you to bail, which isn’t compatible with riding where I’m not ‘likely’ to bail (but still do occasionally) and I did almost come a cropper the other day when I overtook a couple of pissed up polish guys on commuter bikes and launched off a lip to slice a corner, getting bounced off the pedals and leaving me with a red face. Admittedly my saddle was all the way up and having it hammer up my bum caused that.

@CarlosG The B-38 look very similar to what came stock on the GT Chucker 2 (about 6 years ago) and are sitting on one I’m doing up to sell and I like the feel of that shape. The B54’s have more pins though, and more pins is definitely what I need.

@Professorfaceplant, there is no way I’m getting anything open like that, that in the case of an accident is going to carve my face off!!

I’ll get the B-54’s ordered then, and to hell with the weight. I need comfort and to stay on the pedals.

professorfaceplant
    Free Member

ha ha ha so far i haven’t had face pedal interaction, there is that posibility, though i suspect any pedal in the face is going to be fairly uncomfortable not to mention pretty impressive

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

More pins doesnt equal more grip, the burgtechs only have 8 pins but are by a country mile the grippiest pedal, in the world, ever. More pins = more pressure on each pin = more grip. I tried nano copies but they only felt a small step up from V8’s, the brugtechs are a different league. Which is why I’m pissing about with no idea what to order to replace them!

If only shops had demo pedals………

mrdestructo

I’ve had a pedal in the groin, bladder, kidney, spine, shoulder and legs before. Touch wood I’ll never have one in the face, but those pedals are most definitely off the menu!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Flats choice – heavy rider/aggresive XC’ is closed to new replies.