Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Flat pedal users – winter shoes
  • racing_ralph
    Free Member

ATM i am a spd user and have mw80 shoes and love em. I am trying flats tonight and if i like em then winter here we come.

I use seal skinz when not wearing my mw80s but the shoes still get soaking and HEAVY!. What do flat pedal wearers use in the winter?

Pieface

Its still the summer.

You won't have time to ride when baby comes along

racing_ralph
    Free Member

**** off!

ojom
    Free Member

Hey rob,

I am going to ride clipped for winter – back to my MW80's. Failing that, Gore Tex socks from Gore and some over shoes etc.

Bye bye

littlegirlbunny
    Free Member

nice n grippy on the pedals

warm too

Pieface

Anyway, my 2 peenyworth is that I reckon the cleat in SPD shoes conducts alot of heat out of your foot.

I reckon that as you're feet may be moving around more you may get away with what you wear in the sumemr if you stay warm with sealskinz.

Once wet any shoe will get heavy. The 5.10 boots look fairly chunky and warm.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

cheers jo and genks!!

jonb
    Free Member

I wear light weight flat soled trainers with noeprene socks (Nookie Titanium socks). The shoes don't hold muc water, especially after a good soaking with Nikwax. And the socks keep my feet warm in all conditions.

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

5.10 shoes with merino socks or Sealskins if it's real wet

ebygomm
    Free Member

I wear my hiking boots in the winter, lovely dry warm feet 🙂

matthew_h
    Free Member

I bought a pair of Shimano MP56s with the flap over the laces and they have proven to be the best winter flat shoes I've ridden. They grip well enough on the pedals but the main thing is that they don't absorb and retain water like all skate shoes and Five Tens and hence don't get really wet and heavy. I wear them with SealSkinz and generally my feet stay dry. Only trouble seems to be when water gets in through the top of the sock but no shoe will stop that really.

Only trouble might be availability though now.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

weird as i ride mp66s and they get stoooopid heavy when wet round the tongue and collar

IvanDobski
    Free Member

5.10 boots + sealskins = toasty feet and the feeling you're wearing foot armour…nice!

fuzzhead
    Free Member

5.10s and Sealskinz for me

thepurist

Ex army Goretex boot liners off ebay – though they're a bit flappy at the top so only really work if you're wearing longs of some sort. Got me through last winter no bother.

DeeW
    Free Member

I rode all last year with decent walking socks and some older suede 5:10 Impacts. Got very wet, but never cold.

I just bought myself some 5:10 Karvers. No venting, and lace cover should keep a fair bit of the water out. Look special but should keep me drier.

Tracey

I have some gortex boots that have been resoles with 5 10 rubber, best of both worlds

Tracey

genesis
    Free Member

FiveTens with thin climbing sock inner and a Snow+Rock thick outers, got wet but never cold and as you're not walking no blisters- result!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Flat pedal users – winter shoes’ is closed to new replies.