Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Fixie disc brake – it's gonna hurt, right?
  • TerryWrist
    Free Member

Fixie disc brake

This is basically going to snap your legs off mid shin innit?

thepodge
    Free Member

why would it do that?

its a brilliant (if slightly crazy) idea

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Surely you will have to run the chain unlubricated or it will just not work?

mk1fan
    Free Member

That does seem an answer to a question no one asked. Although I don't think there are any fixed disc hubs.

I'll add that I think it's brilliant that people do these types of 'shed' engineering though.

leggyblonde
    Free Member

Good point TJ.
    Assuming sufficient friction it wouldn't snap your legs any more than having a front brake sends you over the bars

TerryWrist
    Free Member

why would it do that?

Bit of panic braking amd the cranks stop, your legs don't, pedals in the shin?

Although if your using disco slippers I guess this wouldn't happen, I forget that some people like being screwed to their bike!

singlespeedstu

ATK tried this kind of setup on the MX bikes in the 80's
    They also used their A Track system which was basicly a pair of rollers above and below the drive sprocket that elimanated back end squat. I see some freeridey type bikes are now using the same system to elimanate bob.

Nothing's new, just re hashed.

crazy-legs

I forget that some people like being screwed to their bike!

Never ever try riding fixed on flats!

thepodge
    Free Member

fixie and clips all the way

BigBikeBash
    Free Member

Hang on, I run a fixie mountain bike with discs front and rear.

The rear hub is just a normal Phil Wood with a bit of loctite on the thread.

The pedals are flats (DMR V12s).

I only really ride it off road and have only had a couple of 'moments' when I have lost the pedals and that was when I was glad I had a brake.

The whole fixie is difficult/dangerous is a myth.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Fixie disc brake – it's gonna hurt, right?’ is closed to new replies.