Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Fitting Universal CV boot the type you glue ? Anyone fitted ?
  • unfitgeezer
    Free Member

This type

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Universal-Split-CV-Joint-Boot-Gaiter-Kit-for-Driveshafts-EASY-FIT-SYSTEM-/400574981589?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5d442125d5

Both split on our run around Micra and I’m thinking this will be more cost effective rather than being charged for an hour or two of mechanics time.

Anyone fitted ?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

How’s the CV joint itself, they’re not very tolerant of water/grit gettign in? You’re not going to be throwing good money after bad?

scc999

Fitted them in years gone by.
    Lasted around a year or so, far cheaper and easier than fitting a proper one.

Make sure you don’t glue your fingers around the drive shaft when holding them together. Mate did that. We took days to stop laughing at him.

Si

eskay

Did one years ago and it lasted for a couple of years.

I have also changed a ‘whole’ one and it was a total nightmare, had to remove the shaft, split the joint etc.

andyl
    Free Member

Had one fitted by a backstreet garage many years ago and it failed quickly. I had been under the impression they were doing a proper fix.

That said I did resort to one on the back of an E30 BMW a few years later as removing the shaft was going to be a PITA and on the rear there is not as much articulation as on a front axle. It very much depends on how clean you work. Take your time and keep the new boot very clean during fitting and it should be okay. Get grease all over it (CV grease is horrible) and it won’t last.

On my current cars I use Bailcast stretchy boots and have a cone and spray lube. They are a lot flexier than the GKN ones that really need you to split the joint. But you will still need to remove the shaft from the hub to fit. On my cars I know this is going to be easy as they have all been taken apart and re-greased when doing work on them but on a car I don’t know and if I didn’t have the tools then the split one would be worth a risk.

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

Splits in the boots on my car were repaired with the glue stuff a few months ago & failed recently – had to replace with decent new boots & a new cv joint as one was almost dry. I can only assume it’s a similar glue to the stuff in that ebay kit.

benji
    Free Member

Don’t waste your time and money, do it right the first time. It’s a messy job, and trying to glue in that area is a recipe for it not ending well. Tried one years ago, and ended up just chucking it and doing the job properly.

JAG

Don’t do it…

Get a proper one fitted properly. This is a false economy 😆

stuarty
    Free Member

Glue ones are sh1t ,too easy to get grease onto boot then the glue doent take right ,bloody fiddle as well

Universal flexi rubber ones are the way 2 go
    Half hour and your done

somafunk

From a personal perspective as a “qualified vech mechanic” they are next to as much good as worthless, pay the rate and get it changed for a proper CV boot.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

good advice there, cheers buy cheap pay twice !

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Fitting Universal CV boot the type you glue ? Anyone fitted ?’ is closed to new replies.