Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Filing down brake pads
  • tpbiker
    Free Member

Is it possible to decomtaminate a brake pad by filing down using a fine sandpaper?

and is it safe? I heard some brakepads are made of asbestos? Mine are basic shimano jobs, no idea what they are made of.

Innes
    Free Member

Old car brake pads used to be with asbestos in them, I can’t imagine modern bike pads have any in them.

It maybe that the contamination has seeped in too far. I have sanded pads down to get rid of the glaze on them before.

raisinhat
    Free Member

Sanding down pads is a pretty common way to try and remove glaze/contamination/squeal. You’ll be fine unless you actually eat the brake pad shavings.

globalti
    Free Member

Stick them in the dishwasher, there’s nothing better for degreasing components.

retro83
    Free Member

put them in a vice, hold a lighter underneath until they start to smoke, then clean up with sandpaper*.

At least in my case, the oil had soaked into the pads and sanding alone did nothing, after this they were perfect again.

(these were organic superstar pads, still in use 6 months later)

*NOTE: MAKE SURE TO USE PLIERS TO PICK THEM UP. I STILL HAVE A A MISSING BIT OF THUMBPRINT FROM WHEN I FORGOT THIS

weeksy

Are these the pads at are £5 a set?

yesiamtom
    Free Member

blow torch till smoking – quench in water

repeat 3 times.

Sand

Done.

mattrgee
    Free Member

Put a blob of swarfega on one of the pads then rub them together. Worked for me.

CalamityJames
    Free Member

Do you really go to these lengths to try and rescue brake pads?! Personally I’d rather not risk imminent death* for the sake of a few quid.

*possibly

yesiamtom
    Free Member

When they are so expensive and can be saved in 5 minutes. why not? You forget the disc is also contaminated so you have to decontaminate both. Why risk brand new pads?

reedspeed
    Free Member

Just make sure you use Brake or Carb cleaner,Meths !,NOT,petrol,turps on any oily substance,its gotta be something that evaporates.. !

yesiamtom
    Free Member

brake/carb cleaner is designed for a car not a bike. Some of these contains various oily substances which **** your brake pads. BURN THEM TRUST ME ITS BETTER!

CalamityJames
    Free Member

Fair point about the discs, hadn’t thought of that. But as I have not(yet) contaminated pads/discs it seems weird to set fire to parts!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Filing down brake pads’ is closed to new replies.