• This topic has 55 replies, 38 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by FOG.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • Fed up with all the mud – think I am becoming a roadie
  • jwmlee
    Free Member

I am becoming increasingly fed up with all this wet weather and the mud it’s producing.

Tired of washing the mountain bike and my kit after every ride. Tired of the parts failing and the subsequent expense.

On the flip side, I am loving riding my road bike.

Really enjoying the way the world peacefully glides by and loving the fitness the hills are giving me.

Very easy post ride. Most of the time, I just re-lube the chain and pop it back in the shed. Wear and tear is so much less than on my mountain bike.

Anyone else feeling the same way?

binners

No. Not at all, really. I find road riding mind-numbingly, spirit-crushingly tedious. Lets be honest: giving you drive chain a quick clean to get the mud off when you get home, is hardly a major chore. The rest of it can stay muddy. Who cares?

xcgb
    Free Member

Come away from the light………………. (its the lycra calling)

No not at all I was a roadie for many years in my youth, now in my late 40s MTb has made me remember what fun bikes are, its just pissing about in the woods with your mates, no more no less to me! Just like being 12 (but with a better bike)

grum
    Free Member

This forum seems to be mostly populated by roadies these days.

I still keep it real by mountain biking on the couple of occasions a month when the weather is half decent and I’m not busy. 🙂 🙁

I lost interest in bikes for a good 18 months ages ago and all that came from road biking. I lost my mojo cos it sucked at my very soul as it was no fun. Just road after road of peddling. Few mates got me back out the mtb one (muddy) afternoon and & the time of my life

ps – do agree with the mud being too much at the moment but that’s more the cost of crunching of gears

globalti
    Free Member

I began feeling that way about 4 years ago after 18 years of mountain biking. I was also getting sick of the whole scene that went with mountain biking especially the need to finish every ride in the pub necking back the calories you’d just burned off; most of my mountain biking buddies seemed to have beer bellies.

Acquiring a road bike was like starting cycling all over again; I just regret that I didn’t start doing it earlier because I’m a hell of a lot fitter now than I’ve ever been and I would have done so much better at events like Polaris during those years. Only last Saturday my cycling buddy and I were cruising along a road in the Bowland Fells and we both marvelled aloud at the stunning scenery and how lucky we are to be able to ride to places as beautiful as that straight from our front doors with no need to drive.

Then to get home and only need to wipe the bike down with a damp cloth then head up for a shower was a bonus. My chain has lasted 4500 miles so far and is around half worn and the rest of the bike including brake blocks is as new.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

I cycle road and mtb – whats problem with doing both when I want? Just back from mountain marathon I enjoy that to.

binners

globalti – To be honest with you, I can’t see the strapline – Start road riding. We don’t go to the pub going down a storm around here 😀

neil853
    Free Member

absolutely, I barely did any riding over the winter. Combination of moving form a house to a flat and just the constant never ending circle of riding then bike and kit washing.

I took up running instead, lost about two stone in the process. Have to say though, although there are times when I enjoy running, it’s never the same. In fact recently I’ve been wanting to ride my bike more and run less (bike is out of action at the minute waiting for parts). But if nothing else the running has given me a sound base fitness to help my riding. Just hoping we see some good weather so I can make the most of it!

TiRed

Commute daily, ride road and mtb, and to the shops. Was muddier after yesterday’s sportive than two hours in Swinley last Sunday. It’s all cycling…and all fun!

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

Nearly an hour in and no-one’s suggested singlespeeding yet? Quel le ferk?

I’ve been riding road too, for the shorter rides that can’t justify the cleaning up afterwards but I’ve been enjoying my singlespeed commuter (MTB with slicks and running 50:18) far more than my road bike despite it being about 2mph down every time.

mogrim

I do both, would be stupid to give up one to dedicate myself exclusively to the other.

mrmo
    Free Member

I ride bikes to ride bikes, not to talk about bikes or drink beer or dig jumps etc.

And i hate mud.

Road riding is about riding, however big a gear whore you are you can’t hide being crap. It’s an honesty missing from MTB these days.

khani
    Free Member

As someone else on here said, its not a job.. you do it for fun, if there’s no fun in it, do something else…
    Wise words IMO…

binners

Are you saying we all spank money on expensive, unnecessary bling that will in some small way compensate for our essential rubbishness? I’ve never been so insulted in all my….erm…. oh wait…. erm… sorry… as you were 😀

grum
    Free Member

Road riding is about riding, however big a gear whore you are you can’t hide being crap. It’s an honesty missing from MTB these days.

But why does it matter if you’re crap if you’re having fun?

TiRed

Well, all my mtb’ing is done on a singlespeed as it’s the only “proper” mtb I’ve ever had. I also commute 100 miles a week fixed. And ride to the shops on a nice ladies Dutch roadster. All cycling is good.

kayak23

Got back yesterday covered in sweat and mud and nettle rash and blood. Its all good… 😀

freeridenick
    Free Member

the best bit it the beer afterwards 8)

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Bloody roads are muddy round here too. So just ride a bike, any bike.

andysredmini
    Free Member

I’m never complaining about mud again after spending the weekend at the Silverversone F1.

akira

Doing more road miles these days, but its more because I can ride straight from the front door.

therealhoops
    Free Member

I know how you feel. It’s bleddy depressing. I keep soldiering on but I think the mud is winning. I don’t mind getting pooh-high, it’s the time spent cleaning the bike that narks me. I even had to vac the mancave because of the mud from Saturday nights jaunt!

Oh for a life without the need for mudguards!

Sorry to moan, heads in a dark place at the mo.

grum
    Free Member

I think a lot of the problem here is people not heeding these words of wisdom from binners

giving you drive chain a quick clean to get the mud off when you get home, is hardly a major chore. The rest of it can stay muddy. Who cares?

If you think your bike has to be as spotlessly shiny as many of the ones people post pictures of in here then no wonder you CBA mountain biking any more.

Mounty_73

I do both mtb and road on the same bike….when its really muddy I just pick out the best of the worst trails, then throw in some country lanes and cycle routes…

Its all riding to me, no matter what surface, distance, route or bike….I just keep spinning! 😉

Freester

Ya know I’m with you on this one. I can just about stick a winter of mud but not a summer as well. The whole point of grinding your way through a winter of mud is popping out fitter in the spring and enjoying the fast dry trails at extra fitness. Enjoying my road time at the moment getting more miles with less time in the saddle – the MTB fitness will benefit when I get back on it.

I think it also depends where you live. Where I am it the mud just gets almost unrideable in places that isn’t any fun. It’s not one of those lovely rocky places that gets wet but not really deep gloopy mud.

I’m never complaining about mud again after spending the weekend at the Silverversone F1.

Ahh I was there that was NOTHING compared to a muddy Glasto.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

I am loving road riding – 2hr time slot means 1hr 50 riding time and 5 mins either end to get dressed/fill bottle/etc

My fitness as a result is the best its been for a few years – i can now ride most stuff without the need for a granny ring on the mtb and feel loads stronger.

Road for fitness, MTB for fun

binners

Grum – this comes from years of experience riding around East Lancs, dreamily looking forward to the 3 rides* a year where my bike won’t get absolutely coated in utter filth

FFS You lot! You can leave your bike covered in shite. It won’t dissolve, you know!!!

* Now apparently curtailed to 1 ride per annum

mrmo
    Free Member

But why does it matter if you’re crap if you’re having fun?

It doesn’t matter, but i want to go for a ride not stand around chatting all day. If you ride normally you get fitter, just seems these days more and more ride but never try so don’t get fitter. Which means rather than less talking more riding, nothing changes which gets annoying when the weather is crap.

mrmo
    Free Member

FFS You lot! You can leave your bike covered in shite. It won’t dissolve, you know!!!

The local mud means i need to keep the bike reasonably clean to stop the build up within 100m

FuzzyWuzzy

Road riding is generally a lot of fun but sucks when it’s wet or when you crash.
    MTBing is generally a lot of fun but sucks when it’s wet or you crash.
    Both generally improved by riding with mates.

Digger90
    Free Member

Road riding is just so much more convenient and easy – as the OP says.

Can go directly from house, instead of loading bikes onto roof each and driving 20-30mins to trails.

Doesn’t require complete wash down, clean, relube after every ride…

And I hate crunching through expensive XTR stuff in the flag (summer clag!) that our trails are at this time of year.

Besides, life is too short for just one type of riding anyway… to those who berate roadies, well, it’s a little one-dimensional to only ever ride MTB is it not?

As your MTB cup runneth over, why not try road?

Me – I count myself as a “Cyclist” rather than a “MTBer”… I ride most things with 2 wheels and pedals.

grum
    Free Member

It doesn’t matter, but i want to go for a ride not stand around chatting all day.

Why bother going for a ride with other people then? Ride on your own and you’ll never have to stand around waiting for someone.

FWIW I like riding my road bike for some of the above reasons, but bike cleaning doesn’t really come into it.

Mounty_73

As above, I clean the chainset and I also wipe the fork stanchions as soon as I get back, that’s its.

Leaving my kit to dry, then brush the mud off once its dry! 🙂

As a lot of people on here know, one thing the Wyre Forest is not short of and that’s MUD’!

neninja
    Free Member

I’ve found myself riding at Hamsterley more often with all the bad weather as it’s fairly weather proof.

Loads of the local trails have taken a battering from the rain and are mud baths or getting damaged badly so I’ve steered clear until the weather improves.

mrmo
    Free Member

Why bother going for a ride with other people then? Ride on your own and you’ll never have to stand around waiting for someone.

Don’t mind it a bit, but some rides end up going no where, because people don’t check bikes, routinely break things, have no fitness and make no effort to improve etc.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Lots of threads have appeared on here on the ol’ road riding versus mountain biking debate. Truth is, what’s to debate? Sometimes it’s more fun to get out on the mountain bike and sometimes it’s more fun on the road bike. Lots of reasons why, many are going to be quite personal to each of us. Me? I (currently) prefer road riding because I feel like it keeps me fitter in the relatively limited time I have, I have much more variety from my doorstep and there’s considerably less faff. Importantly, it puts a bigger smile on my face.

I got the stage with my mountain biking where I was spending too much time thinking about what gear to buy next rather than just enjoying what I had already. It wasn’t giving me my “fix”. That said, if I had a chance to go MTBing in the Alps or somewhere else big I’d jump at it.

igrf
    Free Member

jwmlee – Member

WEll funnily enough I’m sat here sweating after my first foray on the road in many a year, not a full blown road bike but with a sort of GT cruiser with road wheels and a ‘sport’ frame, sit up and beg style so on the road retaining a sense of not all bent over in lycra style.

What an ordeal! Bloody pot holes everywhere, I went out helmet less and came back with my trusty Avita, all those cars in close proximity, exhaust fumes, why do they do it to themselves? They go faster, no doubt and the sense of speed and effortless pedalling I ‘suppose gives you the same sort of thrill a spinning class might deliver, but as things stand, not for me, I’m thinking of building some custom suspension road jobbie, if ever I fancy a lunchtime commute again, Graeme I maybe, Obree I aint.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

all those cars in close proximity, exhaust fumes, why do they do it to themselves?

Find quieter roads. I think I’d hate road riding too if i was constantly being buzzed by cars. As it is I try and stick to the back roads and get more peace and quiet than I know what to do with. Love it

igrf
    Free Member

stilltortoise – Member

Find quieter roads.

In the South East of England? As it was I took the old A20 and some trails next to the motorway, but I nearly came off at the hands of a bloody mini pine cone, I’d forgotten how sensitive road wheels are, scary!

Strava

Not sure I’d go to the lengths of doing it for pleasure, I still prefer off road, although it was a pleasant enough lunchtime diversion trying to snap out of bad weather induced gloomy mood, I’ll not be hanging up my baggies, I am going to see if can cobble something more suitable together that aint a total bone shaker.

It got me thinking a bit, you wouldn’t go fast on a motor cycle with a live frame would you? Maybe it’s time for the road bike suspension revolution.. 😕

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Fed up with all the mud – think I am becoming a roadie’ is closed to new replies.