Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Fatbike being used inappropriately
  • bedmaker

I’m one of those weirdos with a carbon wonderbike languishing in the shed while the gimmicky dorkbike gets used for everything.

I was in the Alpujarras last week with my OO Fatty. Had a great week on dry, rocky gnarr with Ciclo Montana.
    I cobbled a wee film together. It’s too long and probably pretty boring for anyone who wasn’t there..

If you’re thinking of going though… the trail from 8 mins on in particular is a real peach, the Arthur Scargill skills loop, high above Orgiva.
    At 10 mins its the notorious Elephants Tail with it’s wild exposure.

7 mins in is also a great wee run, Back of the Discotheque, filmed after several beers on the midweek day off. Faces were burst 😉

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLAsqjHZb00[/video]

Rolling Darryl rims are really very tough for something designed for snow and sand 🙂

carlos
    Free Member

Looking good!! I’m off to Ciclo Montana on the 6th of next month as part of a group of 10 mates and really looking forward to it. Rode in Monachil last year and that was amazing, hoping for more of the same this year.

I’ll be sure to ask if those routes can be included in one of the days out. 😛

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I normally tire quIckly we MTB vids but that is a good one. Looks a great trip and some awesome trails from 7-8m on. Judging by the speed and technique the corners were a lot steeper than they looked. The one exposed one had me nervous just watching it. Thanks for sharing.

bedmaker

Cheers thm. Yeah, as usual the Gopro head mount flattens everything out pretty dramatically.

carlos, the Arthur Scargill skills loop was a new one for me this year. They’ve only recently finished off clearing it and joining together old miners paths. It’s definately worth asking for.

They’re all great though.

tomhoward

Your/your mates brakes need quieting down…

bedmaker

Mates….hideous Avid rubbish

Suggsey
    Free Member

Proves speed is your friend and 2″ of damped suspension 😆

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I’ve just watched that with fond memories of last year. Great trails.

Candodavid
    Free Member

You sir rode pretty much everything we did the week before, we did Tourette’s and lost bridge as opposed to the Tail, just an awesome weeks riding, felt like I was going home when I arrived, Marco & Jacky are great hosts

takisawa2

Good video that. Enjoyed. 🙂

beerbiker
    Free Member

Great vid & great riding. Hope you don’t mind but I shared it to the UK Fat Bike Club FB page coz I’m sure a lot of Fatty owners will love to see it.
    Cheers

mpw
    Free Member

Amazing vid, there must be something in this Fat bike malarky.

Clink

So the big question – how was the fatty on those trails?

Lester
    Free Member

were you running tubeless and what pressures, did you get many punctures.
    a great video and very inspiring to do something similar.
    that elephants trail looks nervy 🙂

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Saw a guy riding one to work the other day

bedmaker

The fatty was great on the trails Clink. They are steeper and gnarlier than I remembered so I was pretty beat up by the bottom sometimes – sore elbows and feet.
    A little suspension on the front would make it perfect. I have a Bluto on order though 8)

Lester, I had a Bud on the front at 4 psi and a BFL on the back at 7psi both tubeless. I had two small nicks on the rear, both easily fixed with anchovies.

Smaller tyres like nates or floaters with tubes in would be a bit of a nightmare though I’d imagine.

devs
    Free Member

OMG the big guy in that vid is gorgeous, please get me his number 🙂
    Probably worth saying that Marco can’t cope with more than one fatbike at a time just in case some other nutters were thinking of doing it. It’s an ace place, we’re going again. I won’t be taking my fatbike though, I haven’t got room for 5″ tyres and I don’t have teh rad skills of mr bedmaker.

Lester
    Free Member

bedmaker
    do you think the blutos will be man enough for everything or just an immediate short term solution.
    4 psi wow, i havent run them that low yet, didnt they drag on the flat stuff?
    i have a moonie with bud and lou and a beargrease with dillingers, i was thinking of leaving the dillinger on the rear and putting a fatter tyre on the front, what do you think?
    i might wait for the next generation of fat suss forks, or get a bucksaw and “borrow” the forks for a while

D0NK

Enjoyed that, was out with CM last september, lots of fun.
    Are your mates slow or are you properly quick* on that thing? I’m presuming the latter.

The bit after 9:00 looked a little like the enduro day, is it? (I’ve never heard of arthur scargill trail)

*it’s a rigid bike, you’re not supposed to be able to go fast 😉

hot_fiat

Possibly the best vid of the riding Ciclo does that I’ve seen. Made me smile ear to ear. We’re off there again in October & I really can’t wait. Awesome work on nemesis corner – it looks like someones been at it with a spade though?

cliffyc
    Free Member

A lad round here won a hill climb (road),on his fatbike,a year or two back. REALLY wound up the roadies!. Get in! 😀

bedmaker

bedmaker
    do you think the blutos will be man enough for everything or just an immediate short term solution.
    4 psi wow, i havent run them that low yet, didnt they drag on the flat stuff?
    i have a moonie with bud and lou and a beargrease with dillingers, i was thinking of leaving the dillinger on the rear and putting a fatter tyre on the front, what do you think?

I think the Blutos should be OK. I’d be intending running them at 80 just to take the sting out of the bigger hits. I think at short travel they should be fine.
    I ran Rebas on a 29er at 120mm for long enough and found them fine.

Pressure wise, I genuinely don’t fine fat tyres draggy unless on tarmac, regardless of pressure. I think a lot of it is teh ingrained thing we have from being told for years that skinny tyres at high psi are fastest. Try it, roll down a gradient on dirt of any sort with a mate on a skinny bike. It’s unlikely you’ll be left behind. THe noise also makes it sound like it must drag too. It’s just noise though 🙂
    Mind you, I do find that Bud rollls well compared to Nate.

Fatter tyre on the front, definately. Bud is the best for me, it rolls well with it’s long knobbles and the extra size allows loads of speed to be carried on rough ground.

hot flat, Nemesis is constantly changing. I didn’t ride it two years ago as it was so sketchy. The steps were washed out leaving big wheel sucking holes. It seemed easy this time in comparison as the steps were filled with dust.

Arthur Scargill is seperate from the gravity day. It’s a fairly new one, across the river from Orgiva. The climb up the barranco to get to it is a horror though! Still, it’s all down apart from the ups 😉
    And what a down, it’s fantastic!

Swayndo
    Free Member

I dunno how they do it for the money 😉

Candodavid
    Free Member

Touché

satchm00
    Free Member

Fatbike being used inappropriately

There was me expecting a video of someone riding in a bus lane.

Nice vid, thanks for sharing 🙂

Gary_C

I bet that you were the best group they’d had that week…

bedmaker

Apart from the Sweden under 21 netball team, yes 😉

hot_fiat

4″x2″ that’s what you need.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

bedmaker and devs. Was good to ride with you guys for the week. Us southerners are not quite as talented as you guys, but I for one, thoroughly enjoyed it. Going to the garden centre for some knarlly downhill gloves later.

bedmaker

First comment on the gloves thrusty, can’t believe it’s taken so long! 😛

devs
    Free Member

*waves at thrustyjust*
    I’m still enjoying it. Every time I move my ribs give me a little reminder 🙂

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

First comment on the gloves thrusty, can’t believe it’s taken so long!

Still cant believe how much speed they created, that’s why its taken so long 😉

*waves at thrustyjust*
    I’m still enjoying it. Every time I move my ribs give me a little reminder

Hi Devs, really ? Hang in there, only another 4 weeks to go !! Waves back like a spacko.

My bike is still broken. Not bad for 3 weeks old. Freehub was split in 2. Lucky we didn’t take the cassette off, or we would be chasing ball bearings across the floor. 😀
    Barry has quit Spain. Brian/ Bernie is still cutting cable ties and Marky is still editing a trillion hours of filming 😆

devs
    Free Member

Boooo, Barry doesn’t know best. 🙂

hofnar
    Free Member

A lad round here won a hill climb (road),on his fatbike,a year or two back. REALLY wound up the roadies!. Get in!

I know a off a guy who broke an offroad hill climb record on a yearly event on a road bike fissed off some fat tire boys. He later converted to mountainbiker so they got some retribution.

senorj

Tagged to watch later ….
    If I recall correctly it’s the Swedish mountain bike team …. 😀

jamj1974

Really great video! Well ridden too!

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Fatbike being used inappropriately’ is closed to new replies.