Home Forums Bike Forum Fat Bikes….

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Fat Bikes….
  • cupra
    Free Member

Hi All, have been doing some reading about these and have been inspired by the thread on here (http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/lets-see-all-those-fatbikes) and really quite fancy one.

It would appear that the Salsa Mukluk had/has chain rub issues on the rear tyre in the bottom two gears. Do the Surly ones suffer from this at all? Experience and comments much appreciated. And, if anyone is selling one…….

househusband

I’ve got a Mukluk and haven’t suffered any of the chain rub that Salsa mention on their website – I’ve even had folk looking for it! Just been out to garage to take a photo for you:

(Click for bigger)

Your post may kick off a Pugsley/Necromancer/Mukluk/other fat bike debate but all I’ll say is that the sizing was one of the main factors that swung it for me; Salsa seem to do even sizes – Salsa odd. Have a 19″ Soul and the 19″ Mukluk is perfect for me – and I love the shape of the supplied Salsa bars.

Most of the folk I ride with have Pugs. When a few of us did a ride in the Highlands over Easter I took advantage of the Mukluk’s forks to add two Salsa Anything cages; tent on one side, sleeping mat the other. Couldn’t believe how stable the laden bike was.

cupra
    Free Member

Thanks for the reply. Which Mukluk do you have?

You say

Salsa seem to do even sizes – Salsa odd

, do you mean Surly do even sizes?

househusband

Sorry – yup; t’other way round! Salsa odd, Surly even.

Got the Mukluk 3. Love it to bits, only real changes I’ve made are changed to Shimano SLX rear mech and thumbies (Paul Components & Dura-Ace). Oh, and Brooks saddle.

Flashy
    Free Member

I have a pugsley and love it. I’ve ridden the On one prototype and it’s good but I’m going to be hanging on to the Pug. If you’re in t’South Charlie the Bikemonger has demo bikes……..

cupra
    Free Member

Cheers Flashy. The on-one is going to be 1×9 isn’t it? which is a shame as a 2 or 3×9 would be better for me and its planned use. I’m in scotland so CBM a bit far away 🙁

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Didn’t Mark et all at The Bike Chain in Edinburgh have demo Fatbikes?.

toons
    Free Member

I’ve got a mukluk; the chain rub is a known issue and you just need to dish the rear wheel (which the LBS did for free), there’s an article on Salsa blog. *goes off to find it*

cupra
    Free Member

Cheers toons, that is where I read about the issue. If I got for a Salsa I’ll see if the dishing is something the supplying lbs would do for me. Thanks.

singlespeedstu

I have one of the original Mukluk’s and don’t have any problems with chain rub. Only one chainring on the front and it’s nowhere near the tyre even with a Nate on.
    It cleared the tyre when it had a granny ring on. If it was muddy it used to dump loads of mud off the tyre onto the chain in granny and first though.

sweepy
    Free Member

Bothy bikes in Aviemore have a demo pug, I’m avoiding it like the plague cos I dont want to know they’re as much fun as they look.

coastkid
    Free Member

Mukluk 3 and the black pug are about the same price.
    Both bikes by have good/bad points, choice seems to come down to sizing/looks 🙂
    Both have 80mm rims which are a good size with the 3.7″ tyres (65mm “Large Marge” rims on original standard pug).

Salsa is deft better spec for riding out the crate with sealed hubs for beachriding, All Surly complete fatbikes come with Shimano XT or LX rear hub, which is the last hub i want on a bike to go where these things go, swapped out to a Pro 2 is a common mod…

I like the Surly frames, but the salsa has some nicer finishing kit like bars, stem, Salsa skewers,seat clamp.
    Surly has Thumbies and their Mr Whirly cranks 😉
    But HH`s Mukluk is a looker and so far has been reliable dispite it doing a submarine impersonation at John Muir Bay 😉

Come down to East Lothian if your near Edinburgh and have a go on some, Most models are often out on the coast here Saturdays 🙂

The Moonlander is still the only off the shelf bike which takes 100mm rims and 4.7″ BFLs and loads of clearance – but it is a bit of a mission specific beast!
    :mrgreen:
    [/url]
    Moonlander[/url] by coastkid71[/url], on Flickr

cupra
    Free Member

Thanks all, I have a few days off soon and am heading to Newtonmore so I’ll stick my head in to Bothy Bikes.

SidewaysTim

We’ve 16″ and 18″ Pugsley’s for demo – will be getting rid of the 16 soon though – if anyone want to try them for size back to back.

Tim.

drofluf
    Free Member

sweepy – Member
    Bothy bikes in Aviemore have a demo pug, I’m avoiding it like the plague cos I dont want to know they’re as much fun as they look.

Don’t worry the Pugsley isn’t as much fun as it looks
    It’s far more fun 😀

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Fat Bikes….’ is closed to new replies.