Home Forums Chat Forum false advertising?

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • false advertising?
  • slider888
    Free Member

Dear singletrack,
    So i buy a mag advertising features to be found within said publication. Upon reading through this aromatic tome it becomes apparent that the 2 main features I was anticipating due to mentions on a forum are not to be found in a shop bought copy.
    Even though they’re advertised on the cover I instead am gripped by a fascinating read about how I need to be a subscriber to read the features which ARE ADVERTISED ON THE COVER!!
    Is it me?
    Am i being petty?
    In my head it can’t be legal surely?

davosaurusrex

You’re no doubt about to get flamed but for what it’s worth I had exactly the same experience and was also unimpressed.

Pook

if it makes you feel any better, as a subscriber, i was unimpressed that my magazine was a lot thicker and thus killed my dog when it was posted*
    *i don’t have a dog. Never have.

slider888
    Free Member

I used to subscribe but just never got round to renewing seeing as its easy to get hold of. But ffs it can’t be right? They can flame away and a know it’s only a few quid but it’s just taking the mick

slider888
    Free Member

And lol at pook!

martinhutch

I can’t see how you’d get flamed for what is a very fair point. Why would you promote non-existent features on the cover of a print publication?

Jamie
    Free Member

You’re no doubt about to get flamed but for what it’s worth I had exactly the same experience and was also unimpressed.

Don’t see why the OP should be flamed, if what he says is true.

I assume it was just a print/deadline error, but that doesn’t make the OP’s points less valid.

scotroutes

It was a printing/publishing error. The “missing” pages are now, apparently, available to read free-of-charge on this very website.

slider888
    Free Member

It certainly wasn’t an error. There’s a page saying “ever get the feeling you’re missing someting.” Then basically tells you to subscribe. If they’ve made the pages available it’s because they’ve tried it on I reckon and been caught out

scotroutes

Those articles were not supposed to be listed on the front cover. That was the printing/publishing error.

davosaurusrex

The reason I was expecting the OP to get flamed is because this is STW. I agree with him entirely though, I bought the magazine looking forward to those articles specifically but instead was left with a pretty dull issue for my six quid

martinhutch

I can’t believe anyone would do it on purpose. It would be an utterly mental way to treat the buying public.

davosaurusrex

You wouldn’t have felt you were “missing something” had the articles in question not been printed on the cover as the OP says.

slider888
    Free Member

That makes more sense scotroutes.
    just a bit miffed about it really
    anyway rant over I’m off to walk Pooks dog that he never had 🙂

Jamie
    Free Member

So, if what Druidh says is true, where is the missing content? As if it’s via the mag archive, that knackers those who have just picked up the mag in store.

#pray4pooksdog

chipps

It certainly wasn’t an error. There’s a page saying “ever get the feeling you’re missing someting.” Then basically tells you to subscribe. If they’ve made the pages available it’s because they’ve tried it on I reckon and been caught out

It certainly was an error. The coverlines were written late one evening the day the magazine was due at the printers. Three separate people looked at them and thought they looked fine and the final magazine cover was laid out by Jorji at midnight on a Saturday night after a 90 hour week. Neither of us noticed that Moab and Megavalaugh were on the cover, but not in the newstand copy of the magazine.

Sorry.

The features are available for everyone for free here: http://singletrackworld.com/magarchive/issue-93/

Again, apologies. Tired people didn’t notice the error while working late at a weekend and not getting to ride bikes.

Jamie
    Free Member

Shitting hell. Just realised I started a sentence with ‘so’. Sorry folks.

Junkyard
    Free Member

So what

slider888
    Free Member

Apologies accepted chipps.
    As I said I was just a bit miffed but everybody makes mistakes and thanks for sorting the content out
    Now wheres pooks dog run off to….

slider888
    Free Member

So did I earlier….
    ?

Jamie
    Free Member

So, well, arrggghhhh.

davosaurusrex

An unfortunate coincidence perhaps given this was the first time the magazine included subscriber only content but fair enough, mistakes happen, especially when you’re tired as you say Chipps. Will have a read of the extra articles tomorrow, ta.

mirage

Dave you can borrow mine. You need to subscribe anyway

downgrade
    Free Member

after a 90 hour week… Tired people… working late at a weekend and not getting to ride bikes.

In two minds on this. One one hand when i screw up at work (often) I get no sympathy from customers by saying “but I’m working ever so hard…”

On the other hand, I never buy the magazine and I use the forum for free.

user-removed
    Free Member

That poor dog 🙁

eddiebaby
    Free Member

As a subscriber I’d like to complain that I don’t get any cover lines. Or anything else to conceal some of this month’s cover image.

I still can’t believe that there are two separate editions. That really is making work for yourselves. Well done for going the extra mile.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

I thought this thread would be about wonderbras

davosaurusrex

Thanks for the kind offer “mirage” but I’ve spent all my money on gaudily coloured Scott shorts and enduro compliant matching shoelaces as you well know.

Mark

Publisher apology from me too. It was a genuine mistake brought on by deadline madness – itself brought on by grit.cx launch production problems and was spotted right after the mag had gone to print, which was why we prepared the extra pages as a pdf download from our mag archive for everyone.

Plus, there’s this….

This is a sad selfie including the offending cover lines. If you have a cover lined issue and you are sad about the articles you can’t read in print then do what I did, take a selfie with the cover and email it to subs@singletrackworld.com

Sarah will then email you a code that will get you a month of Premier access to the site, including full mag app access and the option to turn all the ads off.

There’s rules tho..

If you are obviously stood by the shelves in a newsagent then there will be no voucher for you.

If we really like your selfie, or your lazy eye makes is giggle, we will send you a sub in a box (print and digital sub for a year). Warning! We may publish your selfie on twitter or Facebook unless you really don’t want us to. If you don’t want us to then quote this reference number in your email…

£ffget7765the88235sodding0366722coverlines6645341right000036nexttime6663435you52022muppets5546372889/////

DavidB
    Free Member

That is not sad, it’s more “what can we not see that is going on out of shot”

slider888
    Free Member

I believe he’s hiding pooks dog 😯

Pook

Photoshop experts to the forum please

MrNice
    Free Member

I believe he’s hiding pooks dog

and a spade

Jamie
    Free Member

slider888
    Free Member

😀

martinhutch

Took me ages to spot that Jamie. Clearly I should be applying for more subbing jobs. 🙂

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

For some reason I read the thread title and assumed it would be about dating websites 🙂

chipps

Shh, Jamie. Moobs are in next issue!
    (Grace was suggesting a sports-bra grouptest actually… I assume they work for moobs too)

Cougar

I predict your membership soaring in the immediate future, and Benji having a really good day at work.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘false advertising?’ is closed to new replies.