• This topic has 46 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Del.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Exposure MaxxD – Real World Burn Times?
  • tomd
    Free Member

I recently got a Mk9 MaxxD, while the light spread is great for riding I’m a bit confused by the claimed burn times.

So for the 2nd Reflex mode it claims 6 hours on the high setting. After a 2 hour ride last night I was down to 1 hour and that was with manually switching between the high and low on climbs and road bits. I don’t think it would have lasted the ride left in the high.

So do other people find the claimed burn times accurate?

Yak

Charge it for 12hrs. Then do a runtime test on a non-reflex mode. Then you’ll know if it’s the battery or the reflex stuff.

Then send it back for repair. Exposure are very quick at warranty repairs so you won’t be without a light for long.

iainc

The reflex can eat the battery depending on the terrain and how it interprets your ride. I was out for 2 hrs last night and had it on PGM 1, toggling down to Low for maybe half an hour of it. End of ride I had 24 min showing remaining.

Trimix
    Free Member

Its ambitious marketing. Real life is somewhat shorter.

Yak

As above. I have a 6month old mk11 race that does the same. Battery is fine. Not sent back yet, although it’s been back already for something else. But the older exposures run much closer to the stated times in reflex modes, eg mk 7 maxx d.

So then, anyone else?

tomd
    Free Member

Iain – that sounds like my experience when I tried PGM1 for a ride.

I’ll try a run test on a fixed program and see how that stacks up, but sounds like the Reflex programs might be wishful thinking. Maybe you only get the claimed burn time on a 6 hour climb if you don’t wiggle the bars too much.

I would accept it as ambitious marketing if it wasn’t etched onto the body of the light to taunt me.

Trimix
    Free Member

Ha, it wont taunt you in the dark though 🙂

Scamper
    Free Member

I have the same issue with my Diablo. I presume the full 1400 lumens are only available on programme 1. On programme 2 I should be getting 2hrs on full, 6 hours on medium. In reality after only 1hr 20 ride its down to red (25-40%)and that is after using it for only 5 mins on full and the rest on medium or low. However, I have a sneaky feeling after leaving the light on post ride, in reality the fuel gauge is bottom loaded ie after only 20 mins on medium the green is already flashing (85-70%), but it remains red or red flashing for a few hours or so.

Yak

Not sure about being bottom loaded. I ran the race to flat on programme 7 (2hrs on full). It conked out at exactly 2hrs and 3mins and matched the time countdown on the screen.

iainc

mine runs to the stated time on the non reflex programmes. I had a chat a while back with the folk at exposure, hence my comments earlier re terrain etc.

in my case, on PGM 1, my typical ride has an hour of mostly up, then an hour of mostly down. The light doesn’t know this, so after the first 5 mins or so it crudely works out, based on the way you are riding, speed, inclination, how best to spread the power over the next 2.5 hrs or so. When I then get about an hour or so in and am going more down than up, and a bit faster, it gets confused, and burns through the battery, reducing the stated burn time from 3 to 2 and a bit hrs.

I often set it on the fixed 3 hr on max mode and just leave it, but do find the reflex mode useful on shorter rides.

dlr

Only used mine for an hour before it broke so waiting on a replacement, was impressed with it up till that point!

Sounds like reflex mode is trying to be too clever for it’s own good, perhaps a dumbed down mode would be better. It must be aiming for a set time limit, 3 hours in PGM1 and using your example doesn’t make it. Perhaps better if it ignored the intended run time and just did the light based on the speed/conditions so it would just go low for most of your first hour then just do the next bit according to the actual requirements, not over doing some parts so that it tries to meet it’s set time limit.

I noticed in my brief use that in PGM1, even pottering up a gravel path at 5mph with no bar movement it was still a fair bit brighter than manually changing it to low. I don’t mind having to change the mode myself but then you have the issue that High isn’t as bright as max output when Reflex is on, really don’t understand why you can’t boost to the max output like on a lumicycle, either for a short period or until thermal requirements mean it lowers the brightness. Seems like the sort of thing which should be an option, I wonder if firmware updates can be done by the charge port although I haven’t heard of it before so probably not…

benp1

Do you really need all the lumens that reflex mode kicks out though?

I know you have them there to be able to use, but doesn’t that mean it’s like daytime riding instead of night riding?

burt
    Free Member

PGM7 on my maxx d mk9 has 2 hours on full and 6 on low. im thinking this could be the full power setting without using reflex?
    Anybody from exposure on here?

iainc

benp1 – Member
    Do you really need all the lumens that reflex mode kicks out though?

I know you have them there to be able to use, but doesn’t that mean it’s like daytime riding instead of night riding?

I like having the trail well lit up, and use the MaxxD along with a Joystick. I don’t have the best of eyesight so every bit helps 🙂 It is still nothing like daytime riding IMO. I only tend to toggle it to a lower setting if at the back of the group, so as not to put others into shadow

dlr

benp1: yes as my night vision is terrible hence upgrading my old trusty light. I have a couple of “ebay” ones before anyone pipes up, brilliant for the money, never gone wrong in 2+ years, minor annoyance regarding cycling through modes but I use these when road riding in lit up areas, I need a lot more brightness for offroad 🙁

burt: Not 100% sure but the way their site reads it implies it only goes to full power in reflex mode “2350 Boosts to 3200 with Reflex” , if that is the case then a shame it can’t be a manual boost as I mentioned above.

DrP

I’m about to return my maxx d mk9 for replacement as we speak..
    Clearly my reflex is busted!

On fixed setting it does stay true to time.
    On reflex it will burn through 6 hours (mode 2) in about 90 minutes!

Watching a video on the USE Facebook page highlighting the reflex function really dimming down when stopped,I can confirm mine is busted! Uber beam when stopped = bad times!

DrP

Yak

DrP – that why my race went back. Came back super-quick and the reflex clearly now works….but on reduced runtimes in reflex modes as above.

burt
    Free Member

just sent them a link to this discussion. hopefully they will have a better idea 🙂

benp1

Fair enough, I’m not judging!

I have very rarely used lights on max but my riding isn’t techy so I can’t comment in a fair way

I’m more of a mincer e.g. my diablo is often in the 3/10 setting and is usually in 10 rather than 3!

dlr

Mine definately dimmed when I stopped on reflex although took longer than in that video. After ~1hr it dimmed to nothing suddenly though and wouldn’t come back 😀 just had some faint green leds on the back, hopefully a one off. Cables were boring me so like the all contained quick to clip in/out setup

benp: in medium it is probably enough for most. Other way of looking at it is that you can run a light in a lower mode which is fine for most riding but then you have some brightness in reserve for really techy bits or something. This would give longer run times as well compared to a lower power light maxed out all the time (generalising)

tomd
    Free Member

So I think it’s fair to say that folk are less than blown away with the reflex mode in terms of achieving run times. I think I’ll do the test on a fixed program and see what that’s like before deciding on what to do with it.

lustyd
    Free Member

I just got a Maxx D and a Diablo and from what I can tell reflex works for people who stop a lot. For me in program 1 A3 I got 2 hours same as the non reflex mode. I didn’t stop moving though. It definitely dims if left still though.
    The Diablo on the other hand was still going strong 1:35 in on the 1 hour setting so well impressed!
    Between these two lights a lap of Swinley is about the same time as in the daytime albeit with the occasional surprise slip and associated swearing 🙂

lustyd
    Free Member

Just did a quick experiment in the lounge. If the torch is pointing down at all it doesn’t dim so adjusting the bar mount may be the solution. I have mine angled slightly down so perhaps it’s my fault it never dimmed and not that it’s aimed at people who stop 🙂

burt
    Free Member

I got this reply to the link to the forum I sent them earlier

Thanks for your email and link to the forum; I have passed it on to the marketing guys who may be interested.

A few answers/comments for you that may be helpful:

· The Reflex modes have been tested here and should achieve their stated runtimes, the time remaining can fluctuate slightly in these programs as the output increases and decreases accordingly.
    · The Maximum output in Reflex mode is a peak output and cannot be achieved in other modes; it will not sit at this maximum output for long on Reflex mode. The maximum output in manual mode is also stated on the light and is achieved on the 2 hour setting (program 4 and 7 – high mode).
    · To ensure maximum charge is achieved, we recommend that the units are left on charge for a while after 100% is displayed and the charger shows green. You cannot damage or overcharge the battery by doing so and we leave all units charging overnight here prior to any testing

tomd
    Free Member

Right so I did a run time test with the light charged overnight for >12 hours.

On the PGM4 I got just a shade under 2 hours, so pretty close to claimed allowing for the near zero temperature.

I’ll try adjusting the bar angle and see if that helps in the reflex mode, otherwise I’ll send it back.

Saccades
    Free Member

I’ve mk2 reflex, the reflex setting worked perfectly for the 6 hours of torchbearer and has been pretty much spot on for regular 2 hour spins. I like to run it upside down so I can read the LEDs better.

steve_b77
    Free Member

If I put mine in the high/medium/low/flash mode I get about 15 hours on medium and 4 on retina burning high and round about the life of a bb30 bottom bracket on low.

I fully charged it for Mountain Mayhem last year, ran it from about 9pm to 6am on medium switching to high for tricky bits and it still had over 3hours left on the indicator in medium mode

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Ive got a problem with new mk9 maxx d

Basically charge it to 100% came back to it 2 days later, and the charge is down to 75%

Thought first time maybe id forgot and not charged it properly, so did the chargr again after a ride and exactly the same although last time it stayed 100% for 2 days then suddenly on the 3rd day of being sat there stationary it suddenly stated 80%

Now other than pressing the button to check the power percent left its not been turned on

Anyone else had this? Obviously not holding its charge when not in use

iainc

I had a mk 8 that was a bit like that but worse, could be flat after sitting a week since full charge. Exposure replaced it immediately. My MK 9 went back to them on Saturday due PGM 1 rapid burn times highlighted in this thread, so will report back tomorrow once i have heard back

jonnyboi

My mk7 six pack is just back after being replaced by evans, it was losing charge in storage but according to evans, exposure said they couldn’t find a fault but they replaced it anyway. I’ve been careful to follow the charging regime too so not entirely sure what to make of it

Alex

Ive got a problem with new mk9 maxx d

mine did that from new. Before sending it back, I discharged it to below 50% and then recharged it. Since then it’s been fine.

I tend to use PGM-1 but switch manually to low power when stopped or climbing. Get three hours then. Reflex only tends to be at least half an hour less.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Interesting my problem sounds quite common then

Alex what exactly did you do to fix it? By discharge it to 50% do you mean just let the light get to 50% or lower by using it?

Would prefer get it fixed without sending it off if possbile so ill give anything a go

Cheers

Alex

Sorry for late reply been away. I just took it on a night ride and ran it down to 15% or something then charged it back up and it’s been fine since. Worth giving exposure a call – they are very helpful as there might have been a sequence more complex that that but I can’t remember what it was….

iainc

Mine arrived back this morning, needed the reflex mode reprogrammed and I think maybe some bits. All working perfectly and turned around in jig time as usual. Given I mailed it on Saturday I can’t complain.

dlr

Had my replacement from Evans, two rides, still working so that’s good 🙂 I do really like the reflex mode, made me giggle with satisfaction when it brightned back up as I started moving again after a comfort break.

Anyway…need to play around with the settings a bit, find out what works for me. I did two identical 1h40 rides (give or take a minute), tried two methods

PGM1, first 20 mins manual on low as road with ~2 mins of it on Auto , next hour Auto offroad gravel/farm tracks, last 20 mins manual on low

PGM4, first 20 mins manual on low, ~2mins on high, turned off and back on with it on PGM1 then auto for next hour and last 20 mins manual to low as first test

Ended up with 1:02 and 1:04 left on High, showed 41% when checking battery level although 33-34% when plugged into charger where it started going up from so probably the right figure

Based on what you said before ianc I thought my second method would “trick” it into lasting longer as the reflex was only used initially on the bumpy offroad stuff but it ended up being no different so not really sure.

Regardless, should be enough battery life for me, rarely do over 2hrs at night and I could get longer in one of the manual modes. Would like 10hrs on high but batteries (in general) are naff. I didn’t go for the 6 pack as the beam spread looked narrower on their website in the beam comparison

iainc

showed 41% when checking battery level although 33-34% when plugged into charger where it started going up from so probably the right figure

The Exposure guys told me to go with the first figure. Apparently when you connect the battery there is some sort of voltage drop which gives a lower % which is not accurate.

Must go and have a play with mine too on manual and see how the times compare. The ‘fixed’ reflex mode is nice to see, tried it in my dark garage last night, dimmed right down after about 30 seconds, gave it a shake and back up proper bright 🙂 It seems more effective that it was from new, so suspect a factory fault

dlr

Makes sense thinking about it. Mine seems fine as mentioned, if it really was on ~41% left and 1:04 then I expect it would actually last longer. Need to go on a longer proper offroad ride 🙂

My reflex seems to work as intended, dims down on smooth climbs etc, the slight flicker as it does a big mode adjustment is a minor niggle.

Really do like the clip in and go setup with no battery to velcro on, cables to wrap round banging away etc. I can live with having to put it on charge overnight every ride or two.

Tempted by a diablo now. I always ride with a camelbak so no real issue running a helmet light with a seperate battery but a right faff when you forget and take your helmet off etc! Just not sure the run time and the weight work for me though.

iainc

Tempted by a diablo now. I always ride with a camelbak so no real issue running a helmet light with a separate battery but a right faff when you forget and take your helmet off etc! Just not sure the run time and the weight work for me though.

I tried a Diablo vs Joystick about 5 yrs ago and found the weight noticeable on the Diablo, for not much longer overall burn time at similar outputs. I bought a Joystick and have updated it most years, on current version now and it’s ideal for me. I toggle it between high and medium and it always has juice left at the end of a 2 and a bit hour ride.

dlr

I need to test a couple really. The Maxx-D is so bright with a good throw that I could probably get away with a weaker helmet light.

canny1
    Free Member

Oscillate Wildy, mine did the same, dropping charge when not in use, when new but having used it a few times it (touch wood) seems to have cured itself. So letting it drop below 50% and the recharging may be the way to go

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Exposure MaxxD – Real World Burn Times?’ is closed to new replies.