Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Exposure lights: joystick, axis or Sirius
  • pguy78
    Free Member

After my cheap Chinese torch light failing in me mid ride now for the 3rd time in as many weeks. I have decide to upgrade and go for an exposure light. Narrowed it down to these three just after some real life experience. It will be for my road bike the riding consists of varied lighting from unlit country roads to lit town streets. Managed to find each for under £100 with the axis the most expensive and the Sirius just above £50. Any feedback or experience would be welcome.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

I’ve got a 400lumen joystick and it’s not enough for me on fast dark unlit lanes. Not much flood and not quite enough reach. Good quality light though, I was looking at the Diablo after my last road ride in the Peaks at night.

pguy78
    Free Member

The axis seems to have more of a flood beam and a few more lumen, which is where I am leaning at the moment but typically it is the most expensive. Anybody used one?

mrchrispy

Road + exposure = strada

pguy78
    Free Member

Strada = £260 = pissed off wife.
    Would be lovely but out of my budget.

riddoch

if you can stretch to the latest version they get a bit of a boost. the joystick is now 700 lumens or the axis is 850 lumens.

Daffy

New joystick is still a bit spotty for the road.

riddoch

the new Axis is meant to be less floody than the mk1 so may be the ideal compromise.

leftyboy
    Free Member

Diablo is good but low runtime so I bought an extra support cell aka battery which has given me 2 hours @1000 lumens

iainc

Out tonight at Mugdock with brand new Joystick mk9 on the lid, paired with 2013 Maxx d on bars. The joystick is an update on my Mk 7. So at 750 lumens compared to 400 its very bright, but its also very floody, nothing like previous Joysticks, and I’ve had a few. Initially I didn’t like it as I couldn’t see a spot but within an hour realised that it was doing the spot plus filling in the edges. Given that it has 1.5hrs on Max I was dropping it down a level on fire roads as ride was 2 hrs and it was still fine at end. I’d say it would be ideal now for road use as well, in fact it may well go on the bars of the cross bike tomorrow night for a wee raid on Whitelee Windfarm 😆

Well worth the price from Wiggle.

TiRed

You can often find the Strada discounted at the Exposure Outlet store. Joystick doesn’t have the flood for unlit lanes but is a good light.

TiRed

This is their Mark 2 version. I have one (and a Joystick 5) and it is a very good light. For £75, it is a veritable bargain! If I recall, it is 480 lumens but a good light spread. I’ve used it for night rides at Swinley too. Be quick, I’ve just sent a PSA to our club 😉

iainc

Joystick doesn’t have the flood for unlit lanes

wrt my post earlier, I’d say that the new Mk9 one does, infact have a lot more flood that the older ones and could be ideal on dark roads, will try it next day or 2 hopefully 🙂

mrchrispy

Yup, afraid strada is a little pricy but it’s pretty much my perfect light.
    I managed to pick one up from amazon last year for 180. Reckon it was a misprint as it didn’t hang about very long.

pguy78
    Free Member

Just an update. Went for an axis in the end. Just back from an evening ride and is pretty much perfect for what I need. Nice flood on the light and plenty bright enough for unlit lanes ect… Definitely recommend.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

No comment from anyone using the Sirius here? I need a new helmet light to pair with my Toro on the bars. Budget is £50, I was just going to go for a Fluxient but the Exposure kit is well made so it appeals to have one as a helmet light too, the Sirius is the only one within budget though.

jimjam
    Free Member

By the time you buy all the bits that you’d want for the sirius you are into joystick money.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Good shout, hadn’t considered that jimjam. In that case may just go back to my original idea of a Fluxient, unfortunately.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Exposure lights: joystick, axis or Sirius’ is closed to new replies.