Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Exposure Diablo – Feedback
  • mikewsmith
    Free Member

Got one sat in a shopping basket on sale at the moment…
    I’m currently on a pair of 500 Lumen Ay-Up’s that are just starting to feel a bit lacking. Thinking of doing a slow upgrade and starting with the Diablo as a lid light and then upgrading the bar lights after.
    Sold on a pair of lights, like the flood from the bars and the spot from the lid.
    Any experience?
    Burn time of 1hr on the Max setting seems fine, probably use it on low levels on the ups/commute then full power for the technical.
    Like the all in one design and the weight/build quality also appeals.

Not really interested in stuff I need to charge in a pan in the garage 😉 also not in UK.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

I’ve been using mine for about three or four years now.
    It’s used for commuting through the winter and as a helmet light on night rides. Fantastic piece of kit and well worth the money.

johnnystorm

Yep, happy with mine. Full on single-track techy stuff and I run it on full, for most rides I have it on the 4hr-10hr setting and toggle between them. Piggyback battery for if it’s a multidayer or 24hr race.

StirlingCrispin

Awesome bit of kit.

Love the fact you can toggle the power by tapping your helmet.

leftyboy
    Free Member

I have a slightly older 2+ year old one and it’s been faultless, more than enough power on half for most of a 3 hour night ride with full for the descents. I also have a piggyback battery but have never had to use it!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Cheers, looking good for lights and bad for my bank account 🙂

momo

I have the previous model to the latest one, has just finished it’s second winter, brilliant light, ended up buying a MaxxD for the bars to partner it. Only had it run out on me once, but that was purely down to bad battery management on my part, I’d been using it on the bars of my commuter bike and had turned the TAP function off so ended up leaving it on the higher setting.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Love the fact you can toggle the power by tapping your helmet.

Which is fine if you ride smooth stuff, batter down a techy descent and it’s a pest. Ditto wee branches hitting your helmet in the woods.

I have a Diablo on my lid, and a joystick on the bars. Joystick on low for climbing, then both up full for the downs, good lights.

adsh
    Free Member

Really Like mine for solo riding but on group rides or for racing it’s lacking in the lumen wars.

Keando

Got one of the earlier versions (non-tap). No issues what so ever, works perfectly. Use this on the bars and an older Joystick on the helmet. Perfect combination for me.

Del

good light for the purpose you describe.
    use mine with a six-pack on the bar. good combo.
    the switch is very positive. the tap function a bit of a gimmick, and as Northwind.
    watch the charging. green on BOTH the charger and the light means full.
    i RTFM, my mate didn’t. 😀

angeldust
    Free Member

Excellent = recommended.

dday

Also have the MaxxD partnered with the diablo. My only advise is go slow with the helmet mount, that plastic hex screw strips easily. That said, solid performance from mine for 3 years now, and the same charger for both lights. Plus it makes a really good camping torch!

BadlyWiredDog

As a helmet light, a Joystick might be a better option. I have both and I can feel the extra weight of the Diablo on the head ime, especially as the otherwise excellent Exposure mount sits it quite high up. I also prefer the spottier beam on earlier Joysticks for helmet use, though I can’t remember how the current one compares.

I’d also maybe, if you can afford it, look at the similar light with the wireless remote. Not used it, but on paper, looks ideal for hassle-free output switching.

Not saying the Diablo isn’t a good light btw, and it’s only 120g versus 87g, but I find it enough to be noticable, particularly on rougher terrain and the Joystick these days will still chuck out a claimed 800 lumens, which is usually ‘enough’ particularly if you’re also running a floody bar light.

aroyalnit
    Free Member

My only advise is go slow with the helmet mount, that plastic hex screw strips easily.

Also, never remove the holder out of its socket. It’ll never stay in nicely again!

benp1

The current Joysticks are pretty floody too

I use a Mk7 Diablo for off road riding. Have other lights for commuting and road riding

Used in combo with a floody bar light it’s been ace, and I’ve used it on it’s own too. I usually have it in the 2/6 or 3/10 modes, even on shortish rides, as I find it to be plenty of light for local rides (not techy and not hilly)

The tap function is brilliant, and I use that a lot. Can be turned off too

Get the red eye micro if you get one, it’s a handy feature and can be popped in and out easy

wilburt
    Free Member

Thet are good.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Is this actually an agreement?

honeybadgerx

Fantastic lights, got one for the other half a few years ago and it’s been great (I’m an exposure fanboy though). Beam is good in terms of strength and spread, great for use as your only light on short night rides and small and light enough to have in the pack as a ‘just in case.’ Plus you can add a piggyback battery for not a lot of pennies and pretty much double the burn time.

Another option (in the tradition of recommending what you have), is to spend a little more and get an equinox – a good few hundred lumens brighter and comes with a piggyback battery included, some good options for setting up exactly which settings you want for brightness/burn time, and a handlebar remote.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

As a helmet light, a Joystick might be a better option. I have both and I can feel the extra weight of the Diablo on the head ime, especially as the otherwise excellent

It’s about the same as the Ay-Up’s it’s replacing so not too worried and similar to the go pro when it sits up there

Another option (in the tradition of recommending what you have), is to spend a little more and get an equinox

I did look at that but the one in the sale doesn’t have the piggy back and isn’t quite as good on price.

Plan is to get this for the moment and then pick up a Max or 6 pack later on in the year when finances allow but also have something that will work for a one off need to light.

Anyway ordered this morning 🙂

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Exposure Diablo – Feedback’ is closed to new replies.