Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Explain this to me then….
  • PeterPoddy
    Free Member

There’s a bike I’m interested in. Specialized Sequoia Elite
    It comes with an 11-36 cassette and a 48/32 chainset, running on a 105 rear mech
    105 rear mechs, according to Shimano, have a maximum capacity of 37t and a maximum rear sprocket of 32t
    How are they getting away with it? Long mech hanger to get round the 36t and several gears you can’t use?
    Hmmmmmmm….

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It’s specialized it’s probably a proprietary cassette with less teeth than on the label

stevied
    Free Member

Looks like a long cage to me:

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Specs I gave are for the mech SBC say is fitted – RD5800GS – Numbers are from the Shimano tech website.

stevied
    Free Member

ignore me 😳

swanny853

My old 10s 10 rear mech was only supposed to be able to take a 28t but was quite happy running a 36- I think it would only work with a single ring though.

I suspect the recommendations are generally a bit careful and probably assuming certain setups.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Yep. That’s it. It’s way over capacity.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

spect the recommendations are generally a bit careful and probably assuming

IME they’re usually correct. In fact more than once I’ve winced as I’ve hit low gear on something that’s on the edge of its capacity. 🙂

allan23
    Free Member

Just replaced the rear mech on my Giant Revolt. Looking around for the spare was a tad worrying as nothing in the roadie ranges seemed to match the levers and 34T mountainbike cassette the bike came with. Ended up buying a 105, and a 32T XT cassette. Works OK now.

I did wonder if the OEM mech was tweaked to cope or if it didn’t cope and that’s why it wore out in under 1000 miles.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Loking at a picture of the Specialized – the mounting for the rear mech looks quite a way down and back (might just be the picture through) – have they, in effect, put their own Goatlink built onto the dropout/gearhanger to allow 36t?

amedias
    Free Member

It’ll be fine, it’s only 4 more teeth than spec at the rear, and a smaller range than a triple at the front, judicious hanger placement and you’d get away with that.

Most Shimano mechs can be coerced safely at least one cog bigger, sometimes more depending on the specifics of the hanger geometry, and I’m sure Spesh have field tested the combo to death before putting it out on a production bike.

FWIW, my AWOL is running 11-34 with 30-39-50 and a mech rated to 32 teeth and I reckon a 36 would be doable even on that, drop the front range and it’s definitely a go-er.

drovercycles
    Free Member

11s 105 mechs work absolutely fine with 11-36 cassettes, despite what Shimano officially say.

honourablegeorge

Shimano recently released 11-46 cassettes for use with the same Shimano mechs whish apparently couldn’t cope with bigger than 40t not so long ago

breatheeasy
    Free Member

I take it 11 speed mtb cassettes will fit a 11 speed road hub?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

have they, in effect, put their own Goatlink built onto the dropout/gearhanger to allow 36t?

That was my thinking yes.

11s 105 mechs work absolutely fine with 11-36 cassettes, despite what Shimano officially say.

Thanks, at least someone else has tried it! 🙂

I take it 11 speed mtb cassettes will fit a 11 speed road hub?

yes they will. You’ll need an 11sp spacer on there though as 11s MTB cassettes fit on a 9/10sp FH body, unlike 11s road which need an 11s FH body.

sillyoldman

Honourable George – Shimano never said that. Slack journalists did, but not Shimano. I’ve seen the official PP presentation for 11 spd XTR and XT.
    They did however initially say that only the 11-40 could be used with a double chainset, then latterly said that 11-42 was fine on a double too.

Just because they only offered XTR in 11-40 doesn’t mean that’s it’s limit.

sillyoldman

Does look like a Goatlink style hanger.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Explain this to me then….’ is closed to new replies.