Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Exmouth Exodus
  • amedias
    Free Member

Anyone else doing this? my buddy has had to drop out so just looking to see who else might be there…

http://www.exmouthexodus.co.uk/

A free to enter ride through the night to the seaside, about 100 miles

On a Saturday near a full moon that doesn’t clash with the DD. The date for 2014 is Sat 9 August

Starting in Bath, and finishing at Exmouth

On mostly minor roads, with three major climbs and plenty of other lumps and bumps, as well as some flat bits…

brassneck

I would have, but I’m on hols at the Exmouth end and will be packing the car that morning 🙁

ransos
    Free Member

Yep. Did it last year (from Bristol) and it was great fun – well organised, nice food, nice people, nice route.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    slowpuncheur
    Free Member

Is it worth a trip down from NW England and therefore a Monday off work?

amedias
    Free Member

Does sound like its going to be a great ride, overnighter through the Cheddar Gorge and over the Mendips with a couple of miles of tunnels at the beginning and the finishing at the sea!

Hopefully I’ll bump into some other friendly types and have a chat on the way 🙂

thepublican
    Free Member

Just seen this. Should really get involved seeing as I own a pub just round the corner from the starting point! All my roadie mates are busy, but may be tempted to go solo…

Eddiethegent

One of my favourite events. A really relaxed atmosphere more akin to 200 mates riding to the seaside (through the night) than a sportive.

I’m waiting to be convinced that moving the start to Green Park station is an improvement over Channing’s in Bristol, but I’ll be there.

Bath locals, what’s the best place for a pre-ride pint?

EDIT: just seen the post above. What’s the name of your place thepublican?

Philby

Quite fancy this but a couple of questions:
    Do people cycle in large groups?
    What sort of average speed?
    Are normal AA battery powered lights OK or do you need some more powerful lithium type lights?

thepublican
    Free Member

Eddie-it’s the Kings arms on Monmouth place. You’re a sub 30 second cycle from Green park station.

Eddiethegent

Large groups? – You get the occasional cluster of 10 riders but I suppose groups of three or four is more common. It is certainly a very social ride so it’s rare to see people riding on their own for very long even if they started riding solo.

Average Speed? – How fast do you want to go? There are no timing chips, rider listings or gold medal times so people just go at there own comfortable rate. An important consideration is the cafe doesn’t open until 5 (or is it 6?) so if you put in a record-breaking time and arrive at 3 you’re just going to be spending a few hours getting cold waiting for the cafe to open. My plan is to leave at 10, have an easy ride, and arrive in time for a Full English at 6.

Lights? – once you’re out of the city you’re riding on unlit country roads. A set of £400 off road lights is overkill but you want something with more poke than a flashing commuter light. Having said that unless you deliberately ride on your own you can often share the pool of light provided by your fellow riders.

petefromearth

I’m really keen to do this, however sod’s law has meant that we are probably completing on our new house on the Monday…

What time does the bus get back to bath?

ajantom

Waves at Amedias…

….I might very well be up for this, just need to persuade SWMBO.
    How are you going to get to Bath?
    I guess the route might very well go right past my house, if they’re coming over the Blackdown Hills from Taunton and through Honiton, then I guess they’ll go through Ottery and over Woodbury to get to Exmouth.

amedias
    Free Member

If not right past it then very close no doubt, I think they are going to publish full route int eh next week or so.

At the moment travel plan is to get driven up to Bath by GF on Saturday evening, there *should* just about be room if you want a lift…

Lantern-Rouge
    Free Member

Tempted to have a go at this. Really enjoyed the DD a few weeks back.

Don’t know the area but I’m guessing this is going to be a lot harder, so think I’ll be taking it nice and steady and enjoying the tea and food stops.

tobymc

Its got actual hills! Though nothing too daunting, and i recall the majority of the ride is pretty flat and the midnight descent of cheddar gorge is a treat! As others said, very social. Will do it again sometime.
    Recommended.

pcb
    Free Member

I’m doing it along with a friend of mine.

Looks like good fun.

yunki
    Free Member

I thought this was gonna be a thread about every red-blooded Exmouthian between the ages of 17 and 25 heading off to Boomtown Fair this weekend 😀

ajantom

First time since it started in 2009 that I’m not going to Boomtown 😥 the band didn’t get booked this year, but we’ve already been told we’re in for next year.
    Mind you it’s probably good to let my system have a rest for one year. Probably the most hedonistic festival I’ve ever been to!
    So, on counteract this I’m going to be doing a 100 mile night ride. Yay!

yunki
    Free Member

I’ve gotta say.. I was gifted the opportunity to attend a few festivals this year, but I wrote Boomtown off fairly early as I really couldn’t see it being particularly good for my health!

Might bimble down the seafront to watch the riders roll in as a consolation though 🙂

ajantom

I’m hoping the weather stays ok. Don’t fancy doing it torrential rain 😕

Are you going to Beautiful Days? Just up the road, and a bit more age appropriate for me these days. We’re on Saturday night.

yunki
    Free Member

no mate.. I’m gonna head to Love Summer down in Jannersville that weekend.. It’s technically probably not quite age appropriate, but then I’m not completely age appropriate either 😀

I love Beautiful days but it’s out of my price range this year and I did the ‘big’ festival thing a couple of weeks ago

You not playing Love Summer? I thought I saw your lot on the line-up but I may have dreamt that (you do the ‘festival strength ska’ thing if i remember rightly?)

ajantom

Yup, we’re headlining on the Friday at Lovesummer, and then up to BDs for the rest of the weekend.
    Come over and say hello 🙂

eskay

ajantom – Member

First time since it started in 2009 that I’m not going to Boomtown  the band didn’t get booked this year, but we’ve already been told we’re in for next year.
    Mind you it’s probably good to let my system have a rest for one year. Probably the most hedonistic festival I’ve ever been to!

A mate of mine has played at the last couple and isfoff there again this weekend. Always very jealous!

I have some good mixes somewhere.

ransos
    Free Member

Deteriorating forecast for the early hours of Sunday morning…

yunki
    Free Member

ajantom – See you there.. I’ll try to wear something distinctive – leopard print and flowers maybe… 😀

amedias
    Free Member

Deteriorating forecast for the early hours of Sunday morning…

Stop it with your doom mongering!

Humans are mostly waterproof, as long as I’m warm I’ll be fine

petefromearth

getting my stuff together for tomorrow! lights charged, mudguards on etc etc.

checking out the route – it’s gurt twisty innit?? looks like a tricky route to follow – is it a case of follow the rider in front, or are people so spread out that you need to find your own way?

obviously will take my phone and the route sheet, but wondering if this is enough, especially as my phone will probably die if I use it non-stop

amedias
    Free Member

I’ve had the same thought! There should be enough people to tag along in a bunch which should help.

bobbyspangles

Great fun.
    Well organised and a good route too. Enjoy the crisps at 4am on some random road.
    Better than the dynamo as it is smaller with fewer hipsters so a friendlier attitude. Enjoy!

Lantern-Rouge
    Free Member

I’m hoping that there will be enough people to follow but I’ve stuck the route on the Garmin as well, oh and I’ve laminated route sheet just in case!

Only decision to make now is which waterproof to take 😕

amedias
    Free Member

keeping a very close eye on the forecast now as it’s actually looking properly grim from about 4am… 🙁

petefromearth

Indeed. I like to look on the bright side. Now I’m hoping for “short and torrential” rather than continuous drizzle. Just a bit of clear sky between soakings would be nice!

tobymc

Are there any survivors?

ransos
    Free Member

Yep! It was wet, but the organisers did us proud. Now recovering with a beer and Ride London on the tele.

What with riding from Bristol to the start, then back from Exmouth to Exeter, I ended up with 139 miles on the clock. My legs hurt…

tobymc

Good effort, good milage! Everso slightly jealous….

julianwilson
    Free Member

My wife follows Rob Lee on strava, apparently the crazy loon clocked up 220 miles riding from home to bath to exmouth and home again. 😯

Lantern-Rouge
    Free Member

Last couple of hours the weather was really grim, on the plus side at least it wasn’t like that for the whole ride. Nearly got wiped out in the last 100 yards by the wind as I turned on to the seafront. Glad the last tea stop was there in the end as that was a real morale booster.

Good ride, hopefully I’ll be back again next year and hopefully it will be a bit drier.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Exmouth Exodus’ is closed to new replies.