Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Evening MTB race series for North Manchester
  • Harry_the_Spider

Last night myself and Terrahawk attended a meeting with British Cycling because they have a “plan”.

They want to run a series of evening MTB races on Forestry Commission land (some of it used previously by HtN) to promote the new FC facility. It is in the very early stages but the idea is…

Turn up on the night and pay entry

1 hour

Short course – 10 minute lap

All sorts of categories

Friday evening

Some entertainment – BBQ music etc

Summer 2011

The races later in the calendar may incorporate a bit of night riding

Not a Hit the North run event. They just wanted to sound us out.

No idea of dates or prices yet but it shouldn’t cost too much. It won’t clash with the other big summer event weekends.

Interested…thoughts…comments?

Naranjada
    Free Member

Based on the fact that the NW is chocca with bike riders I would have thought that this would take off, providing it’s pitched at the right market, which I have no doubt it will be.

I want to do some races in 2011, never having raced before, so I am definitely interested in a local race series. In fact it’d be interesting to be involved in some small way if you ever need a hand.

Harry_the_Spider

If you want a local race that is definitely going ahead enter Hit the North.

British Cycling also do the summer series at Clayton Vale next to the velodrome.

The proposed series for Waterdale does look good. Hopefully there will be enough interest and not to many logistical issues so they can get it off the ground.

mrchrispy

sound like a good idea, I fancy a bit of racing.
    I’m too old and slow for road racing (crits would destroy me) so bouncing around some wood might just be what the doctor ordered. keep us posted.

cp

I’d consider coming over from Sheffield for it if I could get another couple of mates to come over too. Sounds good!

RDL-82
    Free Member

I’d be interested, wanted to do the mtb madness races they ran in clayton vale as it’s on my doorstep but work clashed with every single one 😕

As long as they are fun don’t see how they can fail, beats sitting at home.

Doing HTN, my first ever ‘race’ so anymore short fun events would be great 🙂

Harry_the_Spider

From the discussions last night the proposed races will be an entirely different animal to HtN. Much shorter laps/overall race time and without the same emphasis on masochism the HtN has 😉 . So the two events would compliment rather than compete against each other.

The site is “safe” from scroats (well, as safe as it can be) and by mixing up the use of the new FC trails they should be able to come up with different course layouts. The idea is for a broad spectrum of participation and to highlight the new FC facility so there could be kids/juniors races also.

Brownbacks
    Free Member

we will running our fourth series in 2011

usual format so no clashes with a Friday seres

dates in the new year

Based on the fact that the NW is chocca with bike riders I would have thought that this would take off, providing it’s pitched at the right market, which I have no doubt it will be.

you’d be surprised if you saw the reality of where people come from.

Naranjada
    Free Member

Yep, HTN place booked this very day – can’t wait. And I’ll be along for the pre-ride on Jan 3rd too.

The Brownbacks series looks good, might be a bit advanced for me and my level of fitness (little) and style (varied) but I can work on both of those, plus I have a history of offs at Lee Quarry so I’m scared!

Clayton Vale looks interesting.

Cheers.

peachos
    Free Member

yeah i reckon it could work, although a bit dubious about Friday night racing as i struggle to even get on my bike on Fridays post work because that time is generally reserved for beer. but maybe that’s just me…

i like the idea of a race series though & i’m definitely going to enter all of the Brownbacks this year, been meaning to do so for the last couple but never really had the bike for it and now i do.

looking forward to the winter sprinter too 🙂

bennyboy
    Free Member

Peachos – thats just you mate, thought you would change now your a year older!!

Race series sounds very interesting!!

PaulBecks
    Free Member

I’m in!

I like the idea of short track racing in the format of a cx race, it used to work well at Reddish Vale/Tiviot Dale in a summer series a couple of years ago.

Short track, big light racing… genius!

dickie
    Free Member

Sounds great – can we have a series near Leeds or York too?

peachos
    Free Member

haha ben – the only Friday i have spent in my 30’s so far was spent getting rather pished if that’s anything to go by!

terrahawk
    Free Member

you can’t rule out the possibility of the HTN licensed bar turning up for the (possible) Friday evening races.
    😉

Pook

I’d consider coming over from Sheffield for it if I could get another couple of mates to come over too. Sounds good!

so would i

peachos
    Free Member

you can’t rule out the possibility of the HTN licensed bar turning up for the (possible) Friday evening races.

this changes everything…

ourmaninthenorth

Yes, although I think there’s a market for summer cross racing in Manchester too (succesful in yorks, innit).

What would be good would be to maintain the CLayton MTB races, and supplement them with cross racing.

Or swap them.

Good work HTS & co. Oh, and you know full well I’m signed up for HtN. I’ll also try to do the Brownbacks series next year too.

elgolfo

I’d be up for it if there is a novices category
    Where exactly in North Manchester would this be held?

Harry_the_Spider

Not sure it was a CX series that they were talking about. I think that their intentions are for MTB or perhaps a mix.

Where exactly in North Manchester would this be held?

Here

Using about half of this (not the muddy bits)

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3ZND8nbU4s[/video]

terrahawk
    Free Member

ourmaninthenorth – you’re part of a big club, why don’t your lot organise summer cx racing? There’s a multitude of suitable venues (many of them nicer than Clayton Vale for a start) and it wouldn’t be a big deal if you all did your bit.

BC would help you out.

br
    Free Member

I’ve been racing (work permitting) the last couple of years in an evening series organised by these guys:

http://www.summitmtb.co.uk/racing.asp

It’d be worth talking with them for tips/ideas etc, as their events have been very good.

Not sure about Friday evening, you may find mid-week is better for most/many.

ourmaninthenorth

terra – thinking of seeing if we can do just that. We’re also considering doing 2 CX races a season, as well.

Amazingly, you’re be surprised how little people want to help out (actually, I’m sure you aren’t) in spite of their willingness to ride events that opthers have organised.

Harry_the_Spider

Not sure about Friday evening, you may find mid-week is better for most/many.

What’s the “you” stuff? 😉 It will be a BC event. We were just asked along for a chat.

terrahawk
    Free Member

…although we’ll be helping them put together an awesome course…

ourmaninthenorth

Please concentrate on your own awesome course, first… although please note my “cross” bike only has old Weinmann single pivot brakes, so any downhill needs to have a run-off/soft landing. Thanks!

Harry_the_Spider

please note my “cross” bike only has old Weinmann single pivot brakes, so any downhill needs to have a run-off/soft landing.

Hmmmm… There may have another course naming ceremony on February 12th. “Ourmaninthebushes” perhaps.

edhornby

Friday night, one hour race in the middle of summer on a friday night, short ride from my house, possible post-race refreshments…. how could one refuse 🙂

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Evening MTB race series for North Manchester’ is closed to new replies.