Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)
  • Energy expended on mtb v road
  • IanW
    Free Member

It’ll be road for me.

Both are capable of emptying the tank but on the road its only limited by my fitness and occasionally the fatties in cars getting in the way.

On the mtb the technical nature means theres times when I’m forced to ease up, also if its a group ride mtb seems to more sprint stop chat than road which is still social but you can talk whilst riding.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

the same well rounded all round cyclist can probably do a reasonably bigger distance on the road (depending on the roads) compared to off road for the same energy output.

Cadence is generally too personal to be used for comparison.

Upper body strength may not be essential but it’s damm useful.
    Not just for

Perhaps if you’re the typical overweight AM rider with no technique.

This typical overweight AM rider with no technique world cup winner seems to put a fair bit of time in the gym.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Liam Gallagher is a World Cup winner? 😮

oldgit
    Free Member

Mental mental chicken oriental road training ride with the race squad, I come home tired.

Three hours on the MTB with my old XC partner and I just want to go to bed in my muddy clothes when I get home.
    Obviously not everyone will understand this technical data.

nickc

About the same, I reckon. Only difference seems to be that on a roadie, it’s a more steady effort, whereas on the MTB it’s more recovery, then max red line up a climb, then back to recovery on the DH or flat sections.

Of the cyclists I know hat regularly do both disciplines equally , MTBer’s climb better then their Roadie only friends, and the roadies descend faster than their MTB only mates.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Only difference seems to be that on a roadie, it’s a more steady effort, whereas on the MTB it’s more recovery, then max red line up a climb, then back to recovery on the DH or flat sections.

Unless your road riding is up and over passes and you pedal hard on the flat & DH MTB trails.

Too many variables

globalti
    Free Member

You will expend the same energy on both bikes but the result will differ massively according to gearing, slope, surface, wind, tyre size and pressure, bike weight etc etc. I reckon 20-25 miles over a big mountain with carrying is worth 50-60 on a typically hilly road ride and probably 70-80 on a flat ride.

The biggest difference will be the extra energy you will expend in the muscles of the upper body, counteracting the effects of the terrain while off road.

hmanchester
    Free Member

Is it me or does it look as though he’s using 4x10kg instead of 2x20kg plates each side???

philwarren11
    Free Member

You do need upper body. Only thing that ever aches for me the day after a decent ride is my upper body.

tonyd

I’ve taken road riding friends out on MTBs and they’ve struggled with the intervals type intensity. I’ve taken MTB riding friends out on road rides and they’ve struggled with the pace.

Either I am a riding god (possible) or the two are too different to directly compare (likely).

dragon
    Free Member

I’ve taken road riding friends out on MTBs and they’ve struggled with the intervals type intensity.

They don’t road race or chaingang then, because if they did then they’d find intervals fine.

Upper body for mtb, unless you are doing a week or so downhll in the Alps or Fort Bill, then rubbish. You steer with your body and let your suspension take up the bumps, upper body does little, and you get a big break on the climbs anyway.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

too many variables but, 80 miles off road ride vs 80 mile road ride would be no where near the same by me

i know plenty of people who can put out 50 mile rides no problem (some overweight, 50 years old etc) but there is absolutly no way on this planet if i took them to do a 50 mile off road route they would be able to do it

so for me personally and where we live (peak district) the off road is more challenging than road (even though there are plenty of road climbs)

depends on the route and where you are based too, but if it was around the peak district for example me and my regular mtb buddy (who is pretty fit) do a 30 mile hope/peak route at my pace and hes pretty much on his arse by the end, yet every sunday he can go and nail out 100 miles on the road bike (also around the peak) no problems at all

so for me personally with the riding we do off road the mtb would be much tougher over a prolonged mileage than it would road

brooess
    Free Member

I’ve done some big days on MTB and road but only ever bonked on road… which tells you something about which one uses most energy…

kcal

80K on my road bike & I’d be asleep with boredom.
    Need to move somewhere nice then. Was out last night for gently paced (by other measures, hard enough for me) 50 mile spin round local roads, plenty variety, climbs and descents aplenty, paths, railway lines, the lot. Didn’t feel asleep (until this morning..)

Road riding is all about conservation of momentum is it not? Which is why I’m not great, to much getting out the saddle, changing down really early, the differences in MTB mean it’s hard to compare really..

klumpy
    Free Member

If offroad wasn’t harder than onroad, we wouldn’t actually HAVE roads.

Junkyard
    Free Member

you may be confusing smoother with effort

njee20
    Free Member

I think it’s fair to comment that for any given distance it’s harder to ride off road than on, that’s pretty obvious.

I think folk (like the OP) saying that 30k off road is harder than 80k on road (assuming similar topography) are rather over estimating how tough mountain biking is.

I’d say that on a time basis they’re not all that far removed, 2 hours on the MTB and 2 hours on the road aren’t all that different, plus for most people 2 hours on the MTB will involve at least 30 minutes standing around chatting!

crikey
    Free Member

I am having a wee chortle at the way mountain bikers think they are in anyway athletic; when I raced mountain bikes we would ride out from Manchester to the Peak District, do the rides that people drive out to do, then ride back home again.

I’ve also been out on similar ride from East Manchester with the local 1st cats; they were ‘messing about’ on mountain bikes and did the same thing, riding home afterwards.

I do a 45-50 mile off road ride as training for the 3 Peaks, and it does leave me more tired than a 50 mile road ride, but honestly, how many people here are riding 45 miles off road?

njee20
    Free Member

how many people here are riding 45 miles off road?

The same ones saying that MTBing isn’t as hard as those who don’t do that think it is 😉

rangerbill

I was told that to convert off road miles to road miles you need to multiply off road 2-3 times. I do the Mary Townelely Loop regularly (47 miles) and have done the Fred Whitton route (110miles?) both took similar amount of time door to door (not GPS). So Im sticking with it.
    I also find most people sit and twiddle on mountain bikes if they are not used to road bikes. With most road bikes you just dont have that option so you have to get out of the saddle. I used to get more saddle sore on mountain bikes than road bikes due to ineffective granny ring twiddling

Junkyard
    Free Member

I do a 45-50 mile off road ride as training for the 3 Peaks, and it does leave me more tired than a 50 mile road ride,

are you suggesting that doing exercise for more hours is more tiring than doing it for less hours 😉

I average , on a xc ride , less than 50% of a my road average
    I have average circa 4 mph for some MTB rides – some walking/carrying was involved though

Depends though as a 10 mile TT would hurt more than 3 hour XC night ride

littlemisspanda
    Free Member

OK….using a HRM and Strava….

57 mile road ride, moving time 4h 5min, elevation gain 1,829ft, av speed 14mph
    Calories burned 1,502
    Average HR 141 (which is at the top of Zone 2)

37 mile MTB ride, moving time 4h 55min, elevation gain 3,616ft av speed 7.5mph
    Calories burned 1,285
    Average HR 150 (towards the middle of Zone 3 – aerobic zone)

So the MTB ride was 65% of the distance of the road ride, but burned 85% of the calories.
    However, the MTB ride involved more climbing and the average speed was lower (probably due to the climbing, and the fact that in the Dales, you’re stopping all the time to open and close frickin gates)

In general I’d expect to a)climb more on an offroad ride than on a road ride, as an inevitable drawback of seeking fun downhills, and b) for my average heart rate to be faster overall, because of the extra effort involved in climbing and riding on rougher terrain.

The other variable was the weather. My road ride was done in cooler conditions whereas the MTB ride was a few degrees warmer, thus making my heart work harder.

njee20
    Free Member

However, the MTB ride involved more climbing and the average speed was lower (probably due to the climbing, and the fact that in the Dales, you’re stopping all the time to open and close frickin gates)

That’s in the Dales! Saw the climbing stats and assumed it must be in the Fens somewhere 😯

In general I’d expect to a)climb more on an offroad ride than on a road ride, as an inevitable drawback of seeking fun downhills, and b) for my average heart rate to be faster overall, because of the extra effort involved in climbing and riding on rougher terrain.

I find it’s because there are steeper climbs on the MTB, so you go up and down more for a given distance. I don’t personally find my average HR to be much (if at all) higher though.

bruceandlauren
    Free Member

As a personal comparison, I did the tour of the Cotswolds road sportive 102 hilly miles in 6 hrs and the kielder100 last year in 12.30 hours. The kielder really did me in, but that was more to do with the absolute time on the bike, being longer than I had trained for. The vibration through the bike on a long MTB ride does also cause additional upper body, hands, wrist,, shoulder fatigue that you don’t experience on a road bike.

A better way to compare is that for a similar length of time at an equivalent effort level a similar amount of energy will be used. However the distance covered will be quite different due to the difference in average speed. So 100mtb miles are harder than 100 road miles primarily because it takes longer.

bigyinn
    Free Member

brooess – Member

I’ve done some big days on MTB and road but only ever bonked on road… which tells you something about which one uses most energy…
    No that only tells us you haven’t eaten enough. Again too many variables and tells us nothing.

miketually
    Free Member

As a rule of thumb: 1 mile on the road = 1km off-road?

chrispo
    Free Member

klumpy – Member

If offroad wasn’t harder than onroad, we wouldn’t actually HAVE roads.

🙂

njee20
    Free Member

As a rule of thumb: 1 mile on the road = 1km off-road?

I’ve heard that banded about before, and think it’s about right, other factors being as equal as possible.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

37 mtb ride in the dales and only 3700 feet climb, jesus i always assumed it was a climby type terrain there?

i did a peak ride on thursday night that had 3800feet in 16 miles!

ajc
    Free Member

Generally I do around 10 mph average on an mtb ride but manage 18moh solo on a reasonably hilly road ride so 1 km to 1 mph as above sounds about right. I wouldn’t say 3 hours on one bike is easier / harder than 3 hours on another bike. If your working hard its hard whatever you are on.

paulgriff
    Free Member

I can easily ride 50 miles or so on the road but would really struggle to do that much off road, after doing the 23 mile red route round dalby forest today (70-80% singletrack) I was pretty much exhausted and my upper body aching like it never does after a road ride. In my opinion off road is a lot tougher, you get nothing for free as you can do on the road if you freewheel on the flat or down a hill. As an earlier poster said if road was not easier there would be no roads! If I want an easy ride I will ride the local roads, If I want a hard ride I go to the forest and go off road.

Jamie
    Free Member

Holy Thread Resu….etc etc

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Welcome to the forum paul.

Man – you’re going to be popular!

paulgriff
    Free Member

Thanks for the welcome, it’s ok I if I’m not popular i will just ride around the forests and mountains and the roadies will never be able to find me to bully me!

Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘Energy expended on mtb v road’ is closed to new replies.