Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Emptying the'coin jar' – what's your record?
  • psychle
    Free Member

Just counted the coins in our 'coin jar' (actually a Celebrations Chocolates tin), you know the place you dump all your loose coins at the end of the day? If you do this that is 🙂 And the grand total after 2hrs of sorting? £246 in coins, from around 6 months of collecting… it's amazing how it adds up isn't it? 8)

noteeth
    Free Member

Not the most – but the best was being on my way to a dinner party, utterly broke and redeeming £2.98 of coppers in Asda Bedminster for a shopping voucher – just enough for a bottle of very classy Seven Hills. 8)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Usually about £200. Tends to be cashed in around the time for going on holiday.
    Spent on books normally.

Currently have a pot collecting £1 coins, looking forward to that!

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Had a measly £110 in comparison last time I emptied my Haribo tub. It's filling up nicely again so hopefully will get a similar haul when it's time to empty it in a few months 🙂

br
    Free Member

Last year my sons' coin jar paid for a pair of V12 mags for his bike – but did annoy the LBS owner when he saw his sales-boy counting it out… as the largest coins were 10p's

psychle
    Free Member

I'm tempted to walk into PC World tomorrow and buy a laptop with it… could be hilarious 🙂

FoxyChick
    Free Member

We bought both our wedding rings with our first coin jar.
    Like cfh, we now empty it just before our holiday…but I think MrFC has been stealing from it of late to pay the window cleaner!! 🙄

8)

noteeth
    Free Member

Emptying coin jars and looking down the back of the sofa could well pull us out of recession.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

C'mon flash, whats an international playboy like you doing collecting his 2p's in a jar and trundling round to the bank? Or does Jeeves do it for you? 😉

CTML
    Free Member

I once kept a bag full of coppers totalling about £25. On the day i decided to cash it in, my friend proceeded to smash the bag onto the corner of my desk to 'see if it would make a good weapon' leaving me with circa 2000 coins scattered in my room.

nickc

Use a big whiskey bottle, but I only put 1,2 and 5p in it, so get about £50 quid. Split it between the kids for Holiday Money

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Shortbread, all that loose chamge can pay merry hell with the lines of one's suit trousers.

footflaps

mine only gets coppers so I'd be amazed if it's much over £30….

mudshark
    Free Member

Not sure how widely known this is but 20p is the legal tender limit for copper coins – might need to take to a bank.

noteeth
    Free Member

all that loose change can play merry hell with the lines of one's suit trousers

Strange – CFH is regularly seen begging, iirc.

colnagokid

Just emptied Bertie Basset money box last week £143! over about a year

algarvebairn
    Free Member

I've always got a terramundi pot on the go for 50p, £1 and £2 coins. Normally get about £500 out of it.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Isn't putting £2/£1/50p coins in a false economy- just means you lift more £20/£10 notes from the ATM and then split them when you need a paper/ice lolly etc?

djglover
    Free Member

You spend 6 months collecting and 2 hours counting and you only have £246??

You could make more money outside the tube in a day

psychle
    Free Member

I agree that it's not really saving, but it still feels like a nice bonus when you count it out 🙂

algarvebairn
    Free Member

If I didn't put them in a jar the kids and the wife would have them so it works for me. Although id giventhem less fivers and tenners!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Left it the full year once and had over 600 quid. Usually empty it twice a year for to help with holiday cash and get 250-300.

rockthreegozy – you're probably right, but if I had more tenners in the bank as opposed to the jeeb jar, then I'd feel inclined to spend it in a magpie-ish shiny seeking way.

Jammy111
    Free Member

me effort for the last month or so:

everything from 50p's downwards goes in. how much do you reckon will be in by the time its full??

James

lyons
    Free Member

just started this… SO far, over 2 weeks i have – £2.30! but that is only coins of 20p or lower… Plus i've been feeling a bit poor the last few weeks. I'll be interested to see how long it lasts before i dip in.

tomzo
    Free Member

I only do itwith 1p, 2p and 5p coins cos i use one of those machines at Sainsburys to save me from having to count it all out! Normally do it after a few months (only got a small money jar) came to 7.65….feel quite inadequate looking at the totals on here!

Hammo
    Free Member

Makes the £12.40p I made taking mine to the bank today seem a little meagre 🙁

Still, it's sort of free cash.

Nick_Christy
    Free Member

my bro does this with his tips from a bar, every month he sees about £100 in just 50p here 20p there, i was amazed!

he got the wicked machine tho that counts it when you put it in so you dont have to count it at the end 😉

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gift-House-Digital-Counting-Money/dp/B001GV0P2A/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=toys&qid=1265240607&sr=8-2

naokfreek
    Free Member

bout £160 ish…collecting pound coins is addictive.

toby1

A machine for counting it out – hah, my local hsbc has a machine I just poor it into and it goes straight into my account, probably the best thing my bank has introduced in the last few years.

molgrips
    Free Member

It's all a false economy, cos it all comes out of the cash machine in the end anyway doesn't it?

steve-g
    Free Member

My record was about 500, but that probably shouldn't count. I had one of those money tins that requires a tin opener to open it and I was putting £1s and £2s in there, that yielded about 400 after 6 months or so. The remaining 100 was the copper collection

NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

I stopped saving coins as the banks these days generally wont accept more than 5 money bags at a time. ('kin joke, i know)

How do the rest of you dispose of vast amounts of coin?

allthepies
    Free Member

I only save the 1/2/5p pieces and when full it goes to charidy*.

* but I don't like to talk about it mate

Taff
    Free Member

I've got a large whiskey bottle which is filling up nicely for the next holidays. Last emptying session was 160 but part of that gets donated to charity as I normally go the machine in supermarkets as I'm too lazy to sort.

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Have always put 1p 2p and 5p in a pot or two for the kid, still do and she is nearly nineteen now

Last few times the bank insisted I pay it into my account rather than handing over the 20 or so quid.
    Asked why and they said "to stop money laundering"

Bet those Columbian drug barons are busy taking all their ill gotten down the bank in coppers, world has gone quite mad

glenh
    Free Member

I thought the title of this thread was a euphemism!

MikeT-23
    Free Member

Haha. Me too!

I was about to say six times in one day, waaaaay back in the day when the stars were in alignment and I was at a peak for energy, enthusiasm, technique and availability amongst other factors.

So, that said, about £42.
    I just do 1p,2p,5p and 10p bits now, in the wee change bags. When they reach their capacity I take 'em to the bank for account deposits. If I was to take one of each it would amount to £12!

ker-fukn-ching!!

flatback
    Free Member

When i count mine out i save some in money bags and put a few bags of small change to pay for the seven bridge at the coin machines, you cant pay it all in 5p it wont accept that many coins at once,

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I collect £2 coins and usually end up with £200 or so before I cash them in (which is normally when my other change jar is full).

I got an LCD flatscreen Panasonic with the last lot I cashed in (about £450).

I currently have £100-ish in £2 coins and probably another £150 at a guess in other loose change.

mossimus
    Free Member

Think I have a bit of an OCD when it comes to coin collecting, generally try to always pay with notes in the pub etc. By the time I get home after an alldayer have sometimes had over £50 in change.

In the last three years saved enough in coins to buy a Breitling and diamond ring from Tiffany for the missus.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Emptying the'coin jar' – what's your record?’ is closed to new replies.