Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Emergency spoke?
  • oldgit
    Free Member

Am I right in thinking that someone makes a emergency spoke made out of kevlar or something?

A bout of showing off on my crosser in the jump area cost me a spoke and a ride home with a disconected front brake.
    I'm sure I've seen a flexible spoke somewhere or am I dreaming?

njee20
    Free Member

What use would it be anyway!? Just put a proper spoke in!

Onzadog
    Free Member

I remember having one once. It was a bit or wire with a thread on one end and a hook on the other. However, as I don't carry anything to remove the cassette or my Hope 5 bolt rotors, it became a bit pointless as I'd never be able to remove the bit of broken spoke! If I was looking for one now, I'd try somewhere like SJS or ID.

Ambrose

Is this what you mean?

Available here: http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/fiberfix.htm

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I have successfully replaced a spoke on the drive side without removing the cassette by getting a very long spoke, cutting the end off and bending a step in the end.

However – other than a multiday tour where no spokes are available i wouldn't bother now as all my bikes are discsbraked

Best of all – have some spare spokes of the right length – the go with me now for multiday tours. They live in the seattube

higthepig
    Free Member

Saw in one of the MTB mags recently a rider tip, guy put some spare spokes in his seat post and used a wine bottle cork to stop them falling out. Suppose they would not add weight and would have allowed you to ride home with both brakes, supposing you had a spoke key with you……..

Ambrose

Many multi-tools have a spoke key on them although I carry a separate one anyway. Spokes can go in bars too.

polarisandy
    Free Member

i've got the above. bought a couple to take to Iceland to do the fjallabak. Got from peter whites in usa.
    i think can be used to drive and non drive side.
    very neat, size of an AA battery.

Had thought of mentioning on here and seeing if anyone fancied a group buy, but prob not enough demand for them.

jam-bo

Just take it out. Got one wheel missing three spokes and it's still running true. I'll replace them eventually.

oldgit
    Free Member

Might just stick a spare somewhere 😯

I'm running those fangled 24 spoke jobbies, but it's only the second time one has ever gone, and that's always been down to silliness and both times on the front.
    Thing is when one goes the wheel really goes out of true, so I had a two hour return leg with no front brake.
    Needless to say the next cross wheels I get will be good old 32/32.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Emergency spoke?’ is closed to new replies.