Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Electrics in a new build – what have you put in and never used?
  • simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

The other side of this thread where theres a great list of future proofing features. What have people spent money and time fitting into new builds or renovations and never used?

Based on modernising a Victorian house >10 years ago and a new build we’ve been living in for 2 years –

– Cabled networking in most rooms. I fitted CAT5 outlets in every room in the old place, fewer in the new build but in both cases only use in Office/Kitchen/Living room and the ones put in specifically for wifi access points.
    – TV points other than living room/kitchen. I’ve just done it again and distributed satellite all over the place but I’m utterly convinced it will never be used outside the living room and kitchen. Lodgers have always just watched stuff on iPad/Computer over wifi even when a TV point was there.
    – Phone extensions. Remember you can use CAT5 outlets for phone. We just use our mobiles. I recently stuck a phone in the main socket for the first time so I could test the line and got charged 40p for a 2 second call to my mobile. (no inclusive minutes on our phone contract)
    – outside sockets. YMMV and if you’ve got a big garden likely very different but we just never use them. A plug in outdoor speaker has been replaced by a rechargeable bluetooth thing.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

I doubt most will admit to spending money on something they don’t use, the only thing I regret spending money on is a Logitech Squeezebox Touch, separate amps for the dining room & downstairs shower room & Keff ceiling speaker, probably cost me over a grand & now we just use a Bose soundlink via wifi that sounds just as good.

Cheers.

spooky_b329

On the flip side, I would like a lighting ring main, with sockets for table lamps/uplighters using those old fashioned 5 amp mini plugs and sockets. Then you can walk into the lounge and just flip a switch to have your soft ‘mood lighting’ come on rather than a glaring ceiling lamp or leaning over the sofa to switch table lamps on.

I guess they are no longer in the regs, and I suppose the natty remote controlled plugs are an easy replacement (and something I keep meaning to buy)

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I guess they are no longer in the regs, and I suppose the natty remote controlled plugs are an easy replacement (and something I keep meaning to buy)

No problem at all fitting a 5amp lighting circuit – they just add cost so developers don’t do it.

footflaps

– outside sockets.

Use ours all the time, in fact I keep meaning to add more….

ratherbeintobago

I’d use Cat 5 if we had it (both downstairs TVs have streaming boxes attached, and too many problems with flaky wifi) but I don’t, and TPLink power line seems to work as well.

Rockape63
    Free Member

Put cat 5 in every room in my house 12 yrs ago. Kids comps were plugged in initially but it’s all wifi now, bar the main computer downstairs.

phiiiiil

natty remote controlled plugs are an easy replacement

We’ve got two remote controlled switches stuck to the living room wall by the doors that will either turn on the main light or three table lights; way easier and more flexible than a hard wired ring.

The in-laws have something similar but their switches are powered by the act of pressing the button, so they don’t even need batteries!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Electrics in a new build – what have you put in and never used?’ is closed to new replies.